Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble with my 04 TJ. When it gets really cold (20 degrees or colder) both rear turn signal lights flash at the same time, but the front works fine. Also, when this happens, if I hit the brakes with the blinker on the blinkers all stop flashing completely. Even the dash light for the turn signal stops flashing and ticking.

Any advice on what could be causing this? I find it really strange that it only seems to happen when its bitter cold out.

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
I'm with Cuder on this one. Temporarily, until you can replace the switch, you could try cycling the hazards on and off several times to see if that will help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I'll check it out. I was thinking that it could be a bad ground somewhere, but I'm hoping it's just the switch because that will be much easier to fix.

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,576 Posts
X 3 on that diagnosis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cycling the hazards doesn't seem to help. Just to be sure, I cycled everything a few times and nothing. Got a new switch on order, should be here in a few days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasn't the multifunction switch. I replaced it tonight and the problem persisted. My next try will be the break solenoid switch under the break pedal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had very similar issues and would have bet it to be the multifunction switch as it fixed my issue. Please keep us updated as to what you find. Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
check the grounding at the taillights and trailer harness, if installed. they ground through the mounting bolts and can act up from time to time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
check the grounding at the taillights and trailer harness, if installed. they ground through the mounting bolts and can act up from time to time.
I tried replacing the stop light switch and that didn't fix the problem either. Checking the grounding for the trailer harness and the tail lights was going to be my next move.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's interesting that this only occurs at such low temperatures. I'd look for contacts/components close enough to be effected by thermal contraction, or perhaps a short being created by water/ice.

·
Retired Staff
72,460 Posts
Make sure both tail light housings are well grounded which is accomplished via the three hex-head bolts under the red lens cover inside both tail light housings. Use a wrench or nutdriver to loosen/tighten all six bolts a few times and then secure them so you're sure they're making a good ground connection to the tub's sheet metal for the tail lights. Bad/weak/intermittent grounds between the tub and tail light housings can cause all kinds of weird tail light problems.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I was having a minor problem with the left blinker lighting up when braking so as Jerry suggested I removed both rear fixtures and ran a tap thru the body threads and cleaned up the bolts on the wire wheel and re-installed. Problem disappeared after that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fixed the issue. Terminals on the trailer harness were burnt out and a couple of them were fused together. Replaced the trailer harness and everything is all good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts