Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I downloaded the Instruction Manual for my Kenwood KDC-252U AM/FM CD player that came in my Jeep When I bought it two years ago. After adjiusting the Bass, Mid and Treble settings I have to admit it sounds much better. I had Zach install new speakers in the dash before I drove it home from El Paso, two years ago. The unit puts out 50 W × 4, so I am thinking about adding some rear speakers. Based on what I’ve used in the past, I’m thinking some 6x9‘s should get the job done.

Back in the day, I had a spare set of Home speakers, laying flat on their backs in the rear, where the back seat goes. I never drove it with the back seat installed, so that was easy. I only put them in when the hardtop & steel doors were installed. It probably wasn’t very safe, since they weren’t secured.

I see a company makes plastic enclosures for 6x9 speakers that fit behind the roll bar, adjacent to the foreword wheel wheel. It’s a tight fit but it looks like it works. My only concern with these enclosures, is it might interfear with my seat. I’m larger than the average bear, so my seat has to be all the way back.

I’m planning on making a bracket for my seat, to eliminate the slider, which will lower it, plus I want to move my seat inboard a little, maybe an inch at the most. I want to move it back about the same distance. If I do this, I’m not sure if the seats will hit the part that wraps around the roll bar.

Does anyone out there have any experience with the “Vertical Drive” brand of speaker enclosure in a CJ-7? So they interfere with your seat when it is slid back all the way?

I guess I could simply mount a couple boxes back there, since I never put the rear seat in my Jeep. Regardless of what I go with, it will be secured to the Jeep one way or another.

My front speakers work fine, but I’m thinking it will sound better with something mounted in the rear, as well, since it is a 4 channel unit, I may as well use the other channels.

I am asking for suggestions and experience mounting a couple of speakers in the back of a CJ-7. I am open to any size or configuration, but I prefer something out of the way, so I can still load cargo in the back of my Jeep.

Product Font Screenshot Output device Technology
Product Automotive lighting Grey Automotive tire Vehicle
Vehicle door Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Tints and shades
Product Automotive lighting Automotive tire Font Rim

·
Premium Member
9,890 Posts
My wife's 84' CJ-7 that she had back in the day had the very same set of 6x9 speakers enclosures. They actually sounded pretty good if I remember and made a difference in sound over the standard front 5-1/4" speakers. Only problem with them, they got stolen after a short period of owning them, right out of her driveway.
I was 6'-1" tall back then and always had the drivers seat back all the way and they never interfered with that adjustment of full back when I drove her CJ. The back of the seat did make a little contact with the part that wraps around the roll bar, but no harm done.
Been thinking of getting a set for my CJ-7 as well since the wife bought me a small amp several years ago for Christmas that I haven't installed yet. The only annoying thing will be hiding the speaker wires on the passenger side in a CJ that has no carpet. Drivers side wire can be routed through the existing plastic wire channel on the OEM wires harness that goes to the back of the CJ.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I just installed these housings in my 83 CJ7. They really help improve the sound over just having a pair in the dash. I did find the aligning and orienting the speakers to be the same to be challenging. I also drilled and tapped the roll bar so I could use a machine screw to secure the housings.
As to if they interfere with moving the seat back, I just shoved the drivers seat all the way back before taking this picture. I guess it does restrict it some.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Keith, I ran my speaker wires in some black woven loom. Not quite is clean as the drivers side but close. I also use the seatbelt to hide the clip to secure the routing.
Human body Sleeve Knee Waist Yellow
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
If you look at I believe post 301 in my build thread which I believe is linked below you will see those speakers you referenced in my Jeep. They have worked fine for me. I am 6’3”. They do take a little space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought these wakeboard cans off of eBay and put some 6 1/2” coaxials in them. They sound good but it still sounded like there was a void in the sound so I installed two 5 1/4”speakers in a tranny hump pod to match the 5 1/4” dash speakers and it really came to life.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have them in my 86 CJ7. Stock seats and they don’t interfere. It’s a nice upgrade and a good use of dead space. I think it’s the best solution for speakers without taking up cargo space.

·
Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
3,029 Posts
I have the vertically driven with Polk MM marine speakers. I insulated them (open cell foam) and have crossovers placed carefully inside. They sound amazing and tight! It’s a nice upgrade. Simply screw into the roll bar to avoid easy removal.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice, all great info. I think I’ll pull the trigger on them. Thanks everyone!

Love that Orange JLU…

Reactions: wilderside42

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keith, have you considered running the speaker wiring through the main hop of your roll bar?

I don’t know if the mount plate is open or not underneath but a small hole down low adjacent to the speaker location might work, if you were able to snake a wire through. Maybe push a strand of household electricAl wire through first, since it is fairly ridged, and then pull the speaker wire through. Drill the entry wire on an angle facing up so it can be pushed up over and down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice, all great info. I think I’ll pull the trigger on them. Thanks everyone!

Love that Orange JLU…
I had an itch that needed scratching and traded that orange JLU in on a blue JT Mojave. I have had tons of people tell me they couldn’t believe I got rid of that orange Jeep but I swear when I bought it and it was stock everyone was like “why in the hell did you buy an orange Jeep”, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice, if I was given the choice between Orange, Blue or Red, I would be an a tough spot. Now all you need is a WWII era looking Jeep (flat Fender), something like this… Then you get to ride around sitting on your gas tank, kinda like flying an aircraft, the gas you are carrying to get you to your destination is the least of your worries, but managing its use, is part of getting the job done.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have them in my 86 CJ7. Stock seats and they don’t interfere. It’s a nice upgrade and a good use of dead space. I think it’s the best solution for speakers without taking up cargo space.
Post up a picture of your Poncho! can’t get enough of them.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice 1968 Firebird, four speed, 350? I have a 1969 four speed 400 car, that I’ve been drag racing since about 2004, and a couple others. I‘m putting together a 482 I‘ve been collecting parts for, but ran into a little snag with the crankshaft last month. I’ll get it together eventually. I’m gonna put the 482 in a 1974 Bracket car, and see how fast I can go before they kick me off the track. The car is only good for 10.0, and it’s gonna go faster. The plan is to be the fastest car on the property, with a flat hood, no matter what track I take it to.

When I take my CJ-7 to the drag strip, I’m the slowest car on the property, but that doesn’t stop me from racing it. It just makes it more of a challenge to win.

Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have a set of 9000 Series speakers on my rear wheel houses that came with the Jeep in 1995 when I bought it - I thought they were Sparkomatics, but I can't find anything that identifies them at all... any ideas? All I know is that they sound decent enough and I can't kill 'em (being fed by a GPL 400w 4-channel, that also feeds 2 10" Kicker subs).
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Steering part

The fronts are Jensen 4 1/2" fed by an Optimus 100w 2-channel, and they just won't die, either.
Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

LOVE the Firebird! My only complaint with them is the lack of any legroom (being 6'5", that's always been a challenge). I also love how the dashboards in those older cars fade down and away from the front seats, which is another reason I love my '71 Mach 1 so much.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Window

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Them there 1st boxes you show are "Nice Looking construction"

What if you abandoned the cup holder feature

modified 1 or 2 hose clamps on it and sorta wrap them up onto the horizontal of your roll bar

It's molded for the round and would look better than my 1st pic of computer speakers clamped on mine.

------JEEPFELLER

1 - 20 of 51 Posts