Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Have a couple of questions on placement of the clevis mounts and spindle for the tire carrier.

Is mounting the clevis centered between the stock bumper mount bolts (which would put it about the center of the frame rail) a good location?

Then mounting the spindle just on the outboard side of the clevis mount.

The pic shows about where I plan to mount things. Sub'd the Bar Keepers for a spindle.:)

Should a 2" receiver be mounted vertically centered or off center and to the bottom of the bumper.

Any opinions and thoughts would be appreciated.

The clevis mounts and bumper mounts are a sample of Eddies' skills. Wasn't expecting the bumper mounts to come beveled and ready to weld. It's the little details and extras that make a quality product and company. Thanks Eddie.

That ought to be a good place to mount the d-rings. As for the spindle, just make sure it's far enough out that all your hardware will clear the tailgate when you want to put it down. To be on the safe side moving it our a couple more inches won't hurt. You could weld the receiver on the bottom of the bumper. Lots of us have cut a hole in the center and put it there which lets you weld all around it but you can get it welded on the bottom and it'll be fine. I would put a couple of gussets on each side of it though.

Nice job on getting the ends cut down and finished Vince. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
I order from BMG on the Southside... have it delivered to my shop.

I used to buy from Richman Steel but they're about twice as expensive as BMG.

I usually order steel about once every 2 weeks or so. If you ever want to get in on an order, hook up with me. I can include it in my order and download with my forklift.. you could then pick it up at the shop. That would get you free delivery.
Just read Eddie's post. I know all of you guys already know this and many have said it but nowhere will you find someone that is so willing to help people on here as he is. He's a busy man and I've pm'd him questions and he always gets back with me right away. Also he's making stuff to sell and often I see where someone will copy his work and he is even willing to send them information, some vendors may not give you the time of day if they know you're not going to buy their stuff. Not Eddie.

Many thanks to your generosity and help you give to so many people!:2thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Eddie I bet you're thinking you should have made that break before now. I like the way you've changed the mount and made it one piece. I also think it's a good idea to run the clevis mount all the way through, that should take any side to side movement away. Not that there's be that much anyway. Great job. :2thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Isn't that always the case? I felt the same way after I bought my plasma table. If anyone is looking at fabrication as a "side-job", do whatever it takes to get your hands on a plasma table and a press brake.. sell a kidney.. sell blood plasma.. pawn your family heirlooms.. whatever!! :rofl:

I spent the better part of the day working on a new "wraparound" TJ winch plate. Basically one long (like 47" long) piece that is bent to allow it to wrap around the front frame horns and drop the bumper in place. It took a few tries to get the cut dimensions correct.. and the bends where I wanted them but I think it'll be worth the effort.
It is the case. I remember for years I wanted to by a lathe and vertical mill but always thought that was too much money to come up with. They've paid for themselves many time over now. Same way with the Haas. You can always sub some of the work out if you don't have the equipment to do the job but that's not too handy.

Looking forward to seeing more new stuff from you!! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
I was reading through the post about the quality of Eddie's work and his response. He left something out. Something that for me and others on here is a rare thing in today's business world. Have any of you guys ever noticed that he doesn't try to hide a thing about how he makes his stuff, where he gets his supplies, or any other helpful imformation that most of us value greatly. He's not worried about other folks starting up a bumper fab business and I know would be more than helpful if they were to ask. The man is not at all selfish and I think we need some more of that trait in our world today. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Eddie kept this fab section of the forum very active when he was around. Maybe less people are building their own stuff now too. Not sure though.

I always liked his simple and functional approach to these bumpers and other things. There's allot of work, trial and error and research into getting bolt on parts to fit right too and until you've figured it all out from scratch it's easy to take that for granted. Trust me I know!

My version. I switched to a bear claw style latch to hold the swing out in place.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.