Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 17 years of age and have had my 2001 XJ for 2 years now and I've held off on doing much to it because I have gone back and forth on what I want to do. I have decided that I am going to build my XJ into a badass rat rod no matter the time it takes
My List of modifications(Dont how this will work but this is what im picturing in my head)
- Stretch the front axle out in front of the motor so the diff doesnt hit the oil pan. I want this beast to stay 4WD (will most likely need beefier axles maybe a ford 9in or something with some d44's)
- Make this thing open motor like a true rat rod should
- Bags all around
- LSD's front and rear
- 3.73 gears
- 31X10.5 all terrains 16 inch rims (haven't decided exact rims yet) w/as little backspacing in the front
- 33X12.5 all terrains 17 inch rims in the rear also with little backspacing
- Either find a small block mopar or keep it jeep with a 4.7L Stroker motor or maybe even a cummins (will have to be a stick shift because its the American way) Dont know what tranny yet though
- gut the bastard dash and all no radio no nothin w/ a cage or keep it clean and do a full reno on the interior and make this thang purty(very expensive)
- four buckets seats (because its a four door and I still need to take my sisters to soccer practice and get mom some milk and eggs)
- take a little off the top but not much cause Im 6'2" and XJ's are already pretty cramped
- some bright headlights with a 6" light bar in the grille because this is still a jeep
- try to get some old chrome side view mirrors off a semi truck and get em on there
- a grenade shift knob because well its my jeep I do what I want
- headers pointed straight out the side with a cut out w/a valve open to a full exhaust behind the cab for when i roll past a cop
- new paint job either OD green with a military star on the side or a nice satin grey
- and a lot more stuff i will need to bring it together and make it work which aren't worth naming right know

I actually wont be able to start this build until I graduate in May and start working full time and get another car I can drive during the build(another jeep). And since its just gonna be me and my friends with not much knowledge of what we are really doing building this it will take a while to fully complete.

But let me know what you all think and maybe some pointers if you have some, I know not many people if any that have done this to a Cherokee. Anyways I think when its done it will look awesome and I hope no one will get butthurt and cry blasphemy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I got it. I know what you all are thinking " Psh He's 17 what does he know about anything". Thats why I'm here guys, for your help to get me in the right direction with this project, you gotta help me out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok I got it. I know what you all are thinking " Psh He's 17 what does he know about anything". Thats why I'm here guys, for your help to get me in the right direction with this project, you gotta help me out.
I've never seen something like that done on a unibody...I mean it sounds cool, and if you have the time, money, and skill....mooooost things are possible.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in...I'm just a fabricator and from my stand point, good luck! :)

87' XJ Wagoneer I-6 AW4 NP242

·
Registered
27 Posts
To do something like that, you’re looking at basically cutting up an xj for the aesthetic of the body pieces, and building everything else yourself from scratch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To do something like that, you're looking at basically cutting up an xj for the aesthetic of the body pieces, and building everything else yourself from scratch.

I realize this and that's what it going to have to happen to get it to where I want and it will also be a veeery slow build, Im talking years and years, piece by piece. I am not the greatest fabricator but one of my buddies is more than capable of handling any task with fabrication. We are all going to be pitching in when its needed most. Also with it being a unibody... well Ill figure something out Im sure it can be done even if its half assed, thrown together but all im looking at is the finished product in my head and it looks amazing and all I want is to make it happen. I want my jeep to be one of a kind.

·
Registered
269 Posts
With different sized tire diameters front/rear, you will need to figure out different gear ratios front/rear if you ever want to engage four wheel drive. If you keep them both the same ratio, the drive train will bind something fierce and things will break. I can picture the rake :)

When I think rat rod I don't think new paint job but it's your dream machine so build it your way. Who knows you might start something new.

I like your creativity go build learn and have fun!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With different sized tire diameters front/rear, you will need to figure out different gear ratios front/rear if you ever want to engage four wheel drive. If you keep them both the same ratio, the drive train will bind something fierce and things will break. I can picture the rake :)

When I think rat rod I don't think new paint job but it's your dream machine so build it your way. Who knows you might start something new.

I like your creativity go build learn and have fun!!!
I did some googling on that and I found the Jeep Quicksand concept has 32's in the front and 37's in the back and its 4WD so Im confused I would have thought having different sized tires and different gear ratios front and rear that would bind up but different tires but the same gear ratio should be fine, right? i dont for sure im just guessing.

And the paint job on it now is not ratty its the factory blue, if it was already rusted and "petinaed" then I would leave it alone but I got my inspiration for this build after seeing all these rat rods with big tires stretched way out at SEMA but of course they werent 4WD and thats why i want to do this because they are not many, if any, 4WD rat rod cherokees out there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After thinking about it and getting under the jeep and visualizing what I would need to do to keep it 4WD I could still figure out a way to stretch it but I will not be able to get it low on bags, it just cant happen with a 4WD. I could fairly easily extend the drive shaft and all that, and I could still get it pretty low and accommodate for the visual appearance of height with bigger tires that are wide to make it look like its lower than it is, and I could also refab the motor mounts to make the engine sit a little higher HA! BUT theres also that whole deal with stretching a unibody...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts