Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 2986 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After installing my Rampage soft top i must say i am very happy, especially for the $425 i have invested in it.

Installing it was a bit hard on the hands because the top is so tight but it also is only 55 deg fahrenheit outside which does not help things. I absolutely love the large windows as they are fairly larger then the ones on my old hard top and much larger then any other soft top ive seen. All in all i would definitely recommend this top, especially for anyone who has/had a hard top.

What i like about it:
-side and rear windows zip out to turn into a bikini/safari top
-weighs only 18lbs and easily fits behind the rear seat if you want some sun
-windows are huge (biggest ive seen on any top) and has almost zero blind spots
-has a compartment to store windows while in bikini mode
-map pockets above visors
-uses roll bars for frame (good if you have/had a hard top)

What i don't like about it:
-top slaps the support bars between the windshield and roll/sound bar when going 40+ with door windows down and it does not matter how tight i pull the center strap (does not do it in safari mode)
-the rear window does not fit in the window bag and you have to fold it to fit causing a lumpy top in safari mode
-If the rear window is in it makes accessing the back difficult and if you unzip the rear window you have to take the sides off to reinstall it which is kind of a PITA if you just need to get something out of the back seat.

EDIT: Well one year and a month later the back window zippers failed. Some of the zipper teeth on the driver side have come off and would not zip all the way down and now the passenger side zipper has come off completely. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! I just hope the warranty will cover this. The first two pictures below show what im talking about

Driver side rear window

Passenger side

map pockets

Bag/storage compartment to store side and rear windows

More pics with the windows out (after camping so sorry its kinda dirty)

Top is a bit lumpy because rear window does not fit in storage bag without folding it.

Windows in bag

·
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII
3,076 Posts
Looks great as far as I can tell. From the pictures it looks exactly like my Viking top. Does it have support bows for the front? It looks like it in the picture of the inside.
Ditto...looks EXACTLY like my 2nd gen Viking top as well...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really like the rampage bowles as while. So far it seems to be very well made. The only thing as far as dislikes go is there are two support bars in the front which when you have the window open make alot of noise. But I just put a tee shirt between the top and bars and it just fine. Other than that it's awesome! Install is simple as well. It just takes a couple of times to figure out the best way. Also I'll find out if it leaks cause it rainning heavy right now

·
Registered
325 Posts
did it come with a header? or did you need a bestop one or w/e like the viking did i have the door surrounds and the rear bar wondering what header is needed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks great as far as I can tell. From the pictures it looks exactly like my Viking top. Does it have support bows for the front? It looks like it in the picture of the inside.
Yes it has two semi flexible support bars that run from the windshield channel to the roll/sound bar.
Sorry for the blurry picture of the inside. I couldn't get my camera to focus.

did it come with a header? or did you need a bestop one or w/e like the viking did i have the door surrounds and the rear bar wondering what header is needed.
It also needs a header like any other soft top. Im using the best top header.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
How is it as far as wind noise and air/rain leaks?
After driving around town and on the highway ill say it is only slightly louder then my hard top was. Im fairly impressed.
As far as leaks i haven't seen any and it is raining fairly hard now.

Did you replace the viking with this one, like the title says?
No. I tried to order a viking top and wasn't able to get a hold of one since viking no longer makes their top. They sold the rights to Rampage and therefore i got a Rampage top instead of the Viking. Which after installing and driving around a bit, im happy with it. Not only was it ~$250 cheaper then the viking top but it carries a two year warranty compared to the viking's one year. I was just stating that viking no longer makes their top and this top is their replacement.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I gotta say that fits better than my Viking top. Mine won't come around far enough in the back for the straps to pull straight back. I get a bad flapping when on the highway because of it. Love the overall design of the top though and would buy a Rampage when I need another top.

·
Registered
325 Posts
im going to order up the spice version i saw it offered on jc witney and whats the best header bar that people seem to have good results with?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Rampage licensed the top design from Viking. The Bestop Fastback side windows do not come out. Only the rear is removable on the Bestop Trek top.

I love the way these tops look. I am curious how hard it will be compared to the factory top to put up/down? And how low it really sits in front? My husband is 6'4" and worried about rubbing his head on the top.... :(

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Rampage licensed the top design from Viking. The Bestop Fastback side windows do not come out. Only the rear is removable on the Bestop Trek top.

I love the way these tops look. I am curious how hard it will be compared to the factory top to put up/down? And how low it really sits in front? My husband is 6'4" and worried about rubbing his head on the top.... :(
Im 6,1 and i have plenty of room. I just went out and sat in it for a reference, and i ive got ~6in of head room with the seat sitting straight up.

edit: The two bars that run down the center make it sit slightly higher then a bikini top would. I would say its about an inch higher then my bestop bikini top.

1 - 20 of 2986 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.