Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my radiator sprung a leak, but when I went to buy a replacement they all show additional connectors at the bottom of the radiator tank. Mine does not have two extra outlets. Assuming that's for a trans cooler?

Am I thinking right I can just screw in plug caps on those connectors? Just making sure.

Driving a 6 cyl - 5 speed 1994 YJ SE

Thanks -

Attachments

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Yes that is a trans cooler. You can plug them if you want. It is not really necessary though.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Yeah, it is hard to find radiators that don't have the trans cooler built in. It's a supply chain issue - cheaper to just put it in them all rather than build and stock twice as many variants. I usually just leave the plastic thread protection plugs in place. Using actual plugs would be a nice touch, since rads have been known to leak between the coolant and trans fluid sides, but finding plugs in the correct form is a PITA and not really needed.

·
Registered
19,020 Posts
I left the plastic plugs in mine but they've fallen out at some point. I've considered plumbing a quick release at either side so I could hook a hose to a 12v pump and a bucket of water for some nice hot camp showers. (y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts