Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting on the garage step tying my shoes and noticed a puddle under the wife's Liberty.

Looks like she made home just in time- there wasn't much coolant left.

Today I undertook to determine what was leaking. Best I can tell it's got two almost invisible cracks at the left mounting ear of the radiator.

Getting that thing out was maddening. It took 20 minutes and half a dozen tools just to get the fan electrical connector apart. Of course there isn't clearance to pull it out all the way, so I left it loose and tackled the radiator proper. That was more nightmare.

I didn't want to disconnect the AC lines. I wanted to pull the air box out to get clearance but I think it's bolted up from under the wheel well and I didn't want to drop the liner to get to them.

Going to replace the rad and the two hoses, but none of that will arrive until Tuesday earliest, so it'll sit out in the driveway until then.

I just hope I remember how it all goes back together. :|

·
Registered
6 Posts
How much did you pay for the radiator?
I ask as I just had mine replaced here in the UK and it cost over £500. Only £150 + VAT of that was labour!!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rad was $200ish from NAPA, the two hoses were another $50.

Both hoses could prob go another 20K miles or more, but they are WAY easier to replace with the fan and radiator out, so I'm doing it now.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The new rad came in and while I was at NAPA picking it up I got three gallons of G05 which is the equivalent coolant. The reinstall went ok, but getting the air dam back in place was a nightmare (only because I didn't want to remove the AC condenser).

Refilled the system and drove it around letting it heat up. No leaks no problems.

As I was cleaning up the mess left over, I noticed the two grommets on the bottom of the old radiator. :brickwall

Those should have stayed in the frame. So what to do....

I didn't want the bottom of the rad floating so I disconnected the top hose and tried to lift it up high enough to get the grommets back in the frame, but the air dam wasn't going to allow it. So I unclipped the AC condenser from the rad clips, pulled the air dam away, and managed to lift it up just enough to get the grommets back in the frame.

Got it all back together and so far all is well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts