Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

quartz mountain @ Tanuem creek WA.

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TrickyDogShow 
#1 ·
I've rode motorcycles in this area before, and on one trip out there I saw a couple of jeeps on the top of Quartz mountain at the lookout. I now have a jeep and was wondering if anyone had a map or directions on how to get up to the lookout? Also, what are the trail conditions like in that area? I'm new to jeeps and dont have any 4x4 skills. is this a trip I can make on my own?

#3 ·
There's a dirt road all the way up to the top (no lookout there) that most cars could drive up. An easy drive, solo is no problem on the road.

A jeep trail comes in from the other side that is scary on a bike, and goes through a pretty gnarly rock garden. I have no idea of the routes to get to Qtz Mtn on the Jeep trail though because Andy and I haven't connected all the trails, and not really sure I want to after being beaten to death on the bike trying to run that section.

Not likely the area will be accessible until late June, early July due to the heavy snowfall this winter.

Andy and I go in from the Naches Side and sometimes end up on the Taneum side of the ridge.

Here's the best site for condition updates:

http://www.cleelumtrails.com/

#4 ·
I have a bunch of maps on my site for some WA wheel'n areas. Including the Manastash Ridge area. They are in the "maps" folder. . . . surprise.

Get yer maps yere!

The maps in the above link are all PDFs designed to be printed doubled sided on 11x17 paper. Take it down to Kinkos or Office Depot and have them print one out for you, then they can also laminate them for. Total map (printed in color and laminated) run about $2.

Also, nwjeepn.com as a great list of WA state trails with many maps of individual trails.

#5 ·
I was looking over the Naches trail map and can make heads or tails of some of the mileages on it with regard to the distance from hwy 410 to some of the points indicated.

For example, Road 70 winds around, crosses pyramid creek, as it does a hairpin turn to sort of doubling back from the way you just came.... and the first mileage says 6.77 from hwy 410. that mileage is way off. The point where Pyramid Creek goes under FR70 is just a 100 yards or so from where the pavement of FR70 ends, and the pavement ends just over 10 miles from hwy 410. I even mapped it out in GPS mapping, and it shows 10.2 miles to pavement end. and the point where you have 6.77 mile marked is actually about 11.4 miles from 410. that in turn throws off all te subsequent mileages on that map.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.