Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
The QL in my 2011 JGC is back to being dysfunctional now that the freezing weather has returned. The system must be contaminated with moisture as ColdCase suggested. The compressor comes on when the JGC is started and is noisy and vibrates. The front shocks appear to be completely deflated while the rear shocks look normal. The EVIC displays "Immediate Air Suspension Service/Repair Required". I'm going to pull the fuse until the weather warms up and I will replace the fuse after the QL system has had time to defrost to see if it still works. It's a faulty design if it takes in air to compensate for a small leak as that just masks the leak problem and leads to the system being contaminated which ends up ruining very expensive components. Sweet ride but this is easily the most trouble prone vehicle that I've ever had. It's just one thing after another which never seems to end.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,557 Posts
The makeup air flows through a desiccant which removes most moisture. Over years of a slow leak, the chemical may get saturated. Leaks that drop the front or rear overnight are more severe, however. There was a compressor improvement, in 2014 I think, that improved cold weather performance.

·
Banned
91 Posts
In the case of a leak, it's not a matter of if or may, the desiccant will eventually become saturated and this will allow the QL system to become contaminated with moisture which will ruin the system prematurely. As I said, taking in outside air to compensate for leaking nitrogen just masks the leak problem from the owner which delays the repair while it would be easier and less costly to fix. It's another faulty design, among the list of faulty design problems with the WK2 JGC. The system should have been a completely closed system with a pressure sensor that warns of a low pressure/leak problem that requires maintenance/repair.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,557 Posts
A completely closed system will leave you stranded more often than not, its not really practical, a nonstarter I think. Simply reporting that the compressor is drawing outside air may be useful, however. The data is available via the ODB port, some scanners can read the air suspension control module. There is also a couple pressure sensors already there to that could be read.

That could be an opportunity for a hobbyist, develop a ODB port gizmo that detects the compressor is drawing in makeup air, and then determine when it may be a problem and alert the driver. Perhaps a phone app combined with a ELM ODB port interface. There are a number of those out there for more broader applications. But I suspect the the devil may be in the details.

Near identical components have been used in Mercedes vehicles for decades, but in an open configuration. They do sometimes have corrosion problems in the valves after several years. Restorers always seem to have to rebuild them.

·
Banned
91 Posts
If the compressor is drawing outside air then there must be a leak so why not simply have the EVIC report low QL system pressure that requires maintenance/repair? It would be better to nip the problem in the bud while it's any easy fix and before the system is contaminated and the contamination ruins the obscenely expensive components. I don't see how a closed system would be more apt to leave you stranded than the current system. As it is right now the rear end of this JGC is up in the air while the front end looks like a low rider which is what happened with the OP that started this thread. I wonder if anyone has tried replacing the airline fittings on the air shocks with schrader valves and pressurized them manually in order to not have to deal with this bs or pay through the nose to have it repaired? There's no way in hell that I'm dumping thousands of dollars into this lemon when FCA never managed to resolve the stalling problem. This is the only vehicle that I've ever driven that stalls while you're driving it. Like I said, it's just one thing after another.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,557 Posts
With a closed system there is no way to pump up the bags once they deflate overnight, or lose some pressure in route. There is no way to get air back in, like a flat tire or running on a low tire without knowing it. Thats dangerous and seems to be at least 95% of the problem... so adding the makeup feature is like adding an on board tire inflation system. You save a lot of folks from being stranded out on the highway or in a parking spot somewhere or bounced off the highway at some speed. A closed system is nothing but problems real world for average people.

I think it would be nice to have an indication when makeup air is being drawn in, which should be an easy thing to do in module software.

Sounds like you are having frustrating problems for sure, you can spend a couple grand and replace the air suspension with steel springs if you want. But then if you want to talk obscenely expensive components, try a radio.... or a dash. At least there is an aftermarket for air suspension components that reduce costs significantly. Check out the compressors and valve bodies on eBay German outlets sell and air strut rebuild outfits.

·
Registered
511 Posts
OP:
If you are finished with your experiment, I recommend you put the relay back in and let the system use colder drier air to refill to normal. At least it’s the driest low-humidity air you can get when outside temps are below 0F. If you have ever drained the water from the tank of a 20gallon air compressor in mid-summer, you know the water collects inside the system faster in humid weather than dry weather.

My 2004 Audi allroad uses a compressor that constantly refreshes with outside air. It keeps the stainless steel holding tank to 150lbs, and that air is what fills the corner bags when more height is called for. When lower ride height is desired, it vents the corner bags to the outside. It does not recapture and recompress the air into the holding tank. Thus, fresh air (and moisture) constantly flow through the pump’s desiccant/dryer tube on its way into the system nearly every time the vehicle has to rise higher. I have no idea how much water may be in the holding tank. There’s no bleed screw. I have had to replace the pump due to a worn out compressor piston. It is the exact same pump used by similar era MB vehicles with airmatic. (Wabco is the brand I purchased).

So my point is that sealed N systems might not Equal extra longevity. My allroad pump lasted for 13 years before requiring the pump swap.

I have not yet dug behind the right front bumper to see what kind of air pump the ‘16 WK2 uses.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here's what our '18 Trailhawk started doing- Last fall when the weather started cooling down(I'm in TN so we're talking 30s-40s not sub zero) the car would occasionally start making a "rumbling" noise that came from the front passenger footwell area. Would only do it a few seconds, sometimes at start-up and sometimes just randomly while driving. At first, my thought was it was something in the driveline such as the transfer case. Then I started to notice that it would sometimes do this if quickly going from aero to normal mode such as when driving at 55MPH or so then suddenly slowing way down or stopping. Then, we started getting a "service air suspension immediately" message. Message would pop on for a few moments then go away mostly, but a few times it stayed on the entire trip. Most of the time the rumbling noise was not accompanied by the message. And 85% of the time, no message or noise at all. Took it to the dealer we bought from last fall and gave them a full detail of what it was doing as well as showed a pic I snapped of the message. I explicitly explained it was completely sporadic. They drove the car(put about 20 miles on it) and said they could not duplicate or pull a code and gave it back "operating as designed." I recently took it to another dealer in town and gave them the same detailed description. Guy asks if it was doing it currently and I said no, completely sporadic. My thought was "here we go again." But, after having the car in the shop all morning they call me and tell me they did pull a trouble code for the air suspension and were opening a "star" case to look in to it. I was in a loaner courtesy of the Jeep Wave program and he says keep it and he'll follow up the next day. Next day he calls and said they need to replace the air suspension compressor. Part would be in he next day. Next day part was in and they repaired the issue. Said system was holding pressure fine and no leaks. Replaced compressor and recharged system with nitrogen. So far no problems, but we'll see. I am more confident in this dealer and while I am no auto technician, it seemed to me that the noise was related to the compressor. It really baffles me that the first dealer was unable to pull a code and this one had no problem doing that at all, despite it not making the noise or giving the message. Hopefully this is the last of that problem!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well I checked my receipt for the new compressor and nowhere did it indicate nitrogen being used as a consumable to fill the system. Given that I lost 75% of my ride height in the front and over 50% in the rear I can’t believe that any nitrogen would be left since it would always need to take in outside air to makeup for the loss….all in 5 days (3 of which in below zero weather)

The fuse is back in and back to normal ride height…actually the compressor needed to cycle a few times to fill everything back up with moments of hearing air being released after each cycle (3x in a row….) Today on OR2 for a bath…shock towers and boots cleaned of sand and salt….we’ll report if it droops overnight in the A.M.

While the Quadra-Lift system is great in operation it’s not without its faults. I’m going to continue to limit its operation in the cold knowing what I know…I really think the compressor is and always will be the weak link to this system….now that I have the ability to control “when” the compressor turns on I then have the ability to have a reliable Jeep when I need it most….

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,557 Posts
If they did it by the book, they were suppose to deflate the reservoir and airbags (complete system), replace the compressor, then perform the Complete System Fill procedure which purges the system of air, replacing it with higher than the average purity nitrogen.

·
Banned
91 Posts
jblakeman, when you said....

"By the way the service department told me they recharge all of their Jeeps with normal air....not nitrogen and they've never used nitrogen on any Quadra-Lift models"

What is the source of this "normal air"? Are the just using the shop's compressed air that they use to run their air tools? If so, that can't be good! They're supposed to be using Class 5 nitrogen (99.999% pure). It probably guarantees future work on those QL systems though.

·
Banned
91 Posts
This thread and the other thread by JeepGC4me………

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/air-suspension-pressure-3566322/

don't exactly inspire confidence that the dealers will properly service the QL system when it's in need of repair so I, like many others before me in these forums, am looking into a way to at the very least get some nitrogen into the QL system. So I've sourced out the directions w/diagrams and also the specialty tools that are required, which are expensive if you have to buy them retail, as opposed to having a dealer discount. In order to do the job as prescribed you need a wiTECH scan tool w/software which is obscenely expensive. I don't know if the Launch X431 Pro system has the ability to handle this procedure or not.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well the suspension kept its OR2 height overnight (temps in the 30’s here in WI).

Sounds like I need to find a dealer that uses nitrogen and see if they can “replace” the air in my system. Is that something that a dealer will even do if you have no reason to bring your Jeep in otherwise?

With a nitrogen fill I would be curious how much suspension drop would occur after my fuse pull in the future or if the leaks / drop would be similar after time without the compressor....

·
Banned
91 Posts
I would get that "normal air" out of there asap! If I was you I'd be livid and raising hell with Jeep's customer support! Your QL system with all of those brand new obscenely expensive components has been thoroughly contaminated with a complete refill with that ''normal air". I assume that they just used the shop's compressed air that they run their air tools with which when compared to class 5 nitrogen is filthy. Is this suspension drop normal or what? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not exactly sure. It seems to me that that would indicate some sort of leak even if it not an external leak to the atmosphere and is only an internal leak where the high pressure side of the system is bleeding pressure back into the low side of the system, it's still a leak.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,557 Posts
Like filling tires with nitrogen, nitrogen retains pressure over temperature changes and leaks less, you should see no drop.

·
Banned
91 Posts
It went up into the forties today so I put the QL compressor fuse back in and fired the JGC up and the QL system appears to have gotten over the conniption fit that it had had with the brutally cold weather. No nasty vibration or squawking to be heard and it pumped the front end up to NRH without any error messages. I'm going to see if I can find any leaks in the system and see what I can do about flushing the system out and getting some new nitrogen into it. There's a 10247B Air Suspension Refill kit on ebay if anyone is interested but it only includes the long adapter and doesn't include the short adapter that is used to connect to the JGC QL nitrogen reservoir tank which is another $100 or so retail............

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153354885558

The auction ends at at 10:45 EST tonight.

·
Banned
91 Posts
No I hadn't ColdCase, thanks for the heads up. That looks interesting, I just wish that it had a better display. They should make a bluetooth OBDII interface for it and port the code to OIS and Android so that you could run it on your smart phone or tablet. Of course they'd have to battle the hackers then which is probably why they haven't done it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would head back to that dealership ASAP and inquire with the service manager about their procedure for the refill of these systems as there was no nitrogen on the invoice line items.

If it is refilled with air from their regular system I would raise hell.

The fact that people feel the need to pull the fuse in order to try and save the compressor is really depressing, especially on a $55,000 vehicle.

Ours started making noise again Friday AM. Temps were in the 20’s. But no lights or warnings. Less than a year after having a new compressor installed. I was off work and wife is still off work due to a procedure she had to have. We drove it to the Lexus dealer and traded it immediately. Especially knowing what we were going to have to go thru to get it replaced again and only having 3000 miles left on the warranty. And we were told it was just the 3/36 that covered the air suspension parts as it is not considered “powertrain”. And the MaxCare warranty I priced out was ridiculously expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well I have confirmed after speaking with the service manager this A.M. (with photo evidence from their shop) that indeed nitrogen was used when the compressor was replaced. They don't even have the fittings necessary to work on the QL vehicles using their standard "compressed" air tools. I have an appointment to drop it back off to them later this week to take a look at it again and check for any leaks. Their service advisers don't necessary know the "lingo" when it comes to what the system actually contains when customers inquire apparently....

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.