Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm 4 months in to owning my "new" 12 Overland and it's been for the most part a HUGE update to my previous 08....

The air suspension has always made at times interesting noises from the compressor (nasty vibrations on occasion...felt through the dash) and it seems it would vary between Aero & Normal modes even though I wasn't at that magic "63 MPH" speed....

But now that it has gotten much colder up here in Wisconsin with lows regularly in the 20's the system has really been wacky...Driving home the other night about 30 minutes into the drive I noticed the rear end was bottomed out (every bump WAS FELT like you were on the ground...). I pulled over (no messages in the dash or anything...) and the rear shocks were flat....I proceeded to pull into a gas station and tried the suspension switches to RAISE to OR1 / OR2 or LOWER to PARK / EXIT and all the switches would do is blink (LED's)....no compressor / no movement. I shut the Jeep off and got out. Looked around, checked the TIPM fuse (J1), all good. Started it back up and same behavior (the switches would blink but the suspension wouldn't do anything / compressor...).

I thought...ok it's the rear let's proceed home (another 20 minutes)....started driving and sure behold I received in the EVIC (Immediate Service Required / Air Suspension System) which doesn't stay up and disappears after 3 seconds....then about 5 more minutes down the road I stop at a stop sign and all the sudden I feel the rear come back up and the EVIC states "Normal Ride Height". I proceed home and everything is normal....

Fast forward to the next day, I start the Jeep and immediately hear the nasty vibration (which I was used to sparingly occurring over the summer / fall) followed by the same EVIC message "Immediate Service Required"...then before I head out of my driveway (Jeep is parked outside, cold temps...) the front shocks are flat, rear are all the way up!! Now what I'm thinking....so I back up to the garage, try the switches again to LIFT / LOWER jeep on the console and but this time the LED stays on the First indication (Normal Ride Height) and doesn't respond to my requests...further I now see in the EVIC "Ride Height Not Available" for each of my choices. No compressor noises no difference in the front shocks....I turn off the Jeep...wait 20 minutes, and start it back up...sure and behold the compressor fires up and sounds normal...balances back out the suspension and we're in business. I thought now I'm going to pull that J1 fuse so this thing doesn't keep having a mind of it's own....

So now I've been driving it with the fuse unplugged..shockingly (notice the pun in words...) the ride has stayed somewhat level, I've noticed the front does lose some air (about 1/2 inch every few days) but no compressor sounds and no bottoming out....I do get the EVIC "Immediate Service" but figured that's because it cannot call on the compressor to balance the height.

This AM the front was pretty low (inch / half lower than rear). So I popped hood, plugged in J1 fuse, fired her up, waited for compressor to balance out the shocks again then immediately yanked fuse once it shut off. Still drives as normal...no bottoming out....

Reading the forums and Google sounds like the compressors in these just start becoming flaky in the cold and can fail if un-diagnosed....Is it safe to keep doing this until I can take it in for Max Care checkup?

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for replies...my dealer of choice is backed up in doing recall work and can’t see me for two more weeks. Keeping the fuse out has worked...no issues other than the occasional service bleep in the EVIC...

After it’s “fixed” I may just keep the fuse out...I never really use the raise / lower features and this way if another leak sprouts up I’ll notice it before the new compressor craps out again....

I still don’t regret my choice...the Overland had everything I wanted...though it would have been nice if the QL was an option instead of standard...after warranty expires I will swap out the shocks for traditional sprung units if I keep the beast....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With mine once inflated to normal height it stays at that ride height unless I go over 62 MPH then it’ll lower to Aero. It won’t go back to Normal w/o the fuse but I don’t care...I just eye out the height every few days and put the fuse in only when I need air or the height for 4 Low...hoping no leaks once they fix it so I can keep the fuse out longer....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to update this post....dealer ended up replacing the compressor after all...it was shot! By the way the service department told me they recharge all of their Jeeps with normal air....not nitrogen and they've never used nitrogen on any Quadra-Lift models....not sure if this was true or not but they are a HUGE dealer so I thought that was a bit odd....

FCA covered the complete cost under MaxCare and the Jeep has been flawless since the repair but knowing what I "knew" I still decided to pull the J1 fuse just to see how it would maintain ride height both during our continued "average" winter (high's in the 20's) and more recently during our "polar vortex" (-20 degree average highs). Needless to say the suspension drop after a week with the fuse out in the "warmer" temps was marginal and other than the occasional EVIC bleep to "Service Air", it was fine....no real drop in height.

This week in the midst of the polar vortex I have noticed the shocks did drop noticeably after just 3 days....I'm not at the bumper stops yet but I'll be reconnecting the fuse on Friday (warmer temps) to allow it to refill to normal ride height....lost over an inch all the way around....

Thinking this is "normal" (may be a small leak but who's to know unless more owners try this and find out....) and most Quadra-Lift owners just don't notice this since the compressor is constantly making up the air loss in the "background"....therefore leading to greater run times and possible failures in the colder climates....I'm still on Maxcare and really shouldn't care about this but thought it's good to know for other owners....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well I checked my receipt for the new compressor and nowhere did it indicate nitrogen being used as a consumable to fill the system. Given that I lost 75% of my ride height in the front and over 50% in the rear I can’t believe that any nitrogen would be left since it would always need to take in outside air to makeup for the loss….all in 5 days (3 of which in below zero weather)

The fuse is back in and back to normal ride height…actually the compressor needed to cycle a few times to fill everything back up with moments of hearing air being released after each cycle (3x in a row….) Today on OR2 for a bath…shock towers and boots cleaned of sand and salt….we’ll report if it droops overnight in the A.M.

While the Quadra-Lift system is great in operation it’s not without its faults. I’m going to continue to limit its operation in the cold knowing what I know…I really think the compressor is and always will be the weak link to this system….now that I have the ability to control “when” the compressor turns on I then have the ability to have a reliable Jeep when I need it most….

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well the suspension kept its OR2 height overnight (temps in the 30’s here in WI).

Sounds like I need to find a dealer that uses nitrogen and see if they can “replace” the air in my system. Is that something that a dealer will even do if you have no reason to bring your Jeep in otherwise?

With a nitrogen fill I would be curious how much suspension drop would occur after my fuse pull in the future or if the leaks / drop would be similar after time without the compressor....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well I have confirmed after speaking with the service manager this A.M. (with photo evidence from their shop) that indeed nitrogen was used when the compressor was replaced. They don't even have the fittings necessary to work on the QL vehicles using their standard "compressed" air tools. I have an appointment to drop it back off to them later this week to take a look at it again and check for any leaks. Their service advisers don't necessary know the "lingo" when it comes to what the system actually contains when customers inquire apparently....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Regardelss if the dealer did use nitrogen or atmosphere air...it’s a mute point since the system should be reliable...I called 3 other FCA Jeep dealers to get their thoughts on my “situation” all service managers told me they seen last week (during the polar vortex...) at least a dozen Grands and Rams with air suspension issues (bottomed out shocks, froze valves, failed compressors). They all use nitrogen and told me FCA has strict policies on Max Care warranty claims that their procedures need to be done to the book including proper use of nitrogen for refill.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Two months with a new compressor and now getting the message “Air Suspension System - Cooling Down Please Wait” and it having difficulty going to OR1 / OR2. Now hearing clearly it discharging air between height changes like someone disconnected an air hose....it still gets to the height but thinking it shouldn’t be getting that “hot” that quickly....40 degree temps in WI.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
The Jeep has once again been behaving as of late...no issues with any of the height levels and no odd noises....

Any reason to get a Scan Guage vs Scan Tool...does one offer more or less than the other...I definitely want to have better insight into what the suspension is doing on a daily basis....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.