Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has to do with my 2017 Escape but could apply to any vehicle I suppose

The paint has come off around the windshield (apparently common on this vehicle) but the 'primer' coat is still bonded to the metal.
I was thinking of scuffing it up and rattle-caning (Duplicolor) the area

I was told by a body shop when I got a quote (1800) not to do this as the 'primer' would give all the protection I needed

Any 2nd opinions from those in the know?

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
well the primer left(Bet its a DTM none sanding) did not seem to bond to the top coats. happens when they use a DTM and its none sanding. But to make that work the top coat must go down before that primer sets hard. if it sets hard it must be sanded. factory wont sand it they just shoot no matter. long as it looks good leaving the line.

I not a pro, that would mean i get paid. I have painted more then a few vehicles in my life.

Rattle cans can work but matching it well. would be one in a million. If its metallic in any way its harder to match and blend. I would bet its a clear over color as well. so base color goes over primer then clear coat. The rattle cans will all acrylic, lowest quality. Not that it wont work it will just not last as long. softer paint so to say.

How bad is it peeling off? can you say blow the paint off with pressure washer? I have seen it happen.

·
Mopar Nut
401 Posts
Rattle cans can work but matching it well. would be one in a million..
+1. If you rattle can it, I would bet that you will NOT be happy with the results, even if you get a Duplicolor matched can. Unless that can came from the exact same batch as your OEM finish (highly improbable), it won't be the same and your eye will be focused on that mismatch every time you walk to your ride. I'd leave it as is. My $0.02....

Being a 2017, isn't finish still covered under warranty??

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warranty is 3 yrs, I got it from carmax and the peeling/chipping didn't start until after the 6 month period
Paint color is 'Oxford White' Primer is grey, my thoughts are that the rattle can would make it look "not-as-bad"
Paint didn't bond to the primer, that's for sure, have run it thru 'touchless' car washes with no ill effects, though I suspect direct blast from a pressure washer would remove more.

I fear not doing anything would allow water, debris, and the likes to collect under the edges and cause further damage
I know and dont expect a flawless job, but $40 in supplies and a weekend would beat $1800 for a shop to pull the windshield and re-shoot it

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My biggest fear is that as I start to 'chip/flake' the paint back to where it is 'adhered' properly
Will it stop 'chipping' at some point or will I end up removing all the paint?

I dont want to leave an area that will do the same thing in a few months

1 - 6 of 6 Posts