Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
This post/info=my opinion
24,202 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
PVC for a bumper. It would simply crack apart. PVC exposed to sunlight gets very brittle and would actually just crack at it's mounts eventually. Along with the flying plastic pieces in an accident.

I'm sure you are wanting to do this because you don't have a pipe bender and welder. But, it isn't that hard to rent those items for a few days and whip something out of tubing.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If you're not convinced: Take a piece of pvc pipe and seal it. Leave it out in the sun for a month or two. Then, go out and hit it with a sledge without eye protection. I rather you wear an eye patch than whoever is unlucky enough to be in your way...

Good gawd some people don't want to hear **** other then "hey great idea".
Why do you think I don't want to hear **** other than "hey great idea"?? I'm not going to make a PVC bumper now! I didn't realize it would turn brittle and break- I was thinking of it as more flexible.

Now a rubber bumper.. There's an idea.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
There ya go. :thumbsup:

Or you could take a set of coil springs and mount your bumper onto them. You may want to add shocks though so you don't bounce off with a decent hit. :laugh:
anyone ever tell you you're a Genius haha

·
Registered
108 Posts
I haven't seen the episode of Smash Lab, but the preview, and it has inspired my idea... a radar that compares your speed and the speed of immobile objects ahead of you and when the system sees a threat, it would launch an explosives pack under the vehicle in your path, knocking it out of the way.

I freely admit that I may be overlooking a few safety items, but I consider this an alpha-level effort.

-T-

·
Registered
433 Posts
I haven't seen the episode of Smash Lab, but the preview, and it has inspired my idea... a radar that compares your speed and the speed of immobile objects ahead of you and when the system sees a threat, it would launch an explosives pack under the vehicle in your path, knocking it out of the way.

I freely admit that I may be overlooking a few safety items, but I consider this an alpha-level effort.

-T-
Not to give you a hard time, but wouldn't the speed of an immobile object be zero.

:cheers2:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Or you can put retractable wings and jet turbines and when you see a car or one of those pesky deer you push the button and fly home. Sorry to got so off subject from pvc bumpers. haha

21 - 34 of 34 Posts