Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Provin's 1999 TJ build

17370 Views 64 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Powerline9990
The day is finally here. The day I sell the old 2.5L YJ for a nice new TJ :D

1999 TJ Sport
4.0L
5 speed
Dana 44

I am very very very happy with it. It's quite an upgrade from the 2.5L YJ, what a world of difference. Build plans haven't really been mapped out yet so I am not sure what is first to come, but I know lockers are high up on the list. My favorite part about this will be the fact that I know so much more now than I did when I bought my YJ, so I have a nice solid platform to start from and a whole mess of knowledge. I will say that I plan on doing about the same to the TJ as I did to the YJ. Daily driver, on 33's (for now :teehee:)
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I did a little bit of basic maintenance today. Did a drain and fill on the t-case, transmission, and an engine oil change. I pulled off the flare extensions and sprayed them with some Krylon Fusion just to test how it would look. Turned out good so I'll be painting the flares tomorrow.

· She's my density...
1,468 Posts
Nice TJ! I like the color. Glad you stayed in the Jeep family. I'm sure your loving the 4.0L compared to the 2.5L. Looking forward to see what you do to this one!
:cheers2:

· Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Leans. I painted the flares today with some satin krylon fusion but they turned out like cap. There are weird oil looking marks, not sure what's causing it but it sure was a paint to take all the flares off. I also installed a new aftermarket stereo.

· Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to, it's weird driving around a stock jeep :rofl:

But I do have to wait until I officially sell my YJ which should be Saturday, then after a few weeks I should be able to pull the trigger. I have a new job coming my way with a substantial pay raise, hopefully everything pulls through and I can get the jeep where I want it asap.

· Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It rained like CRAZY today and of course I had the windows out of the top and the doors off. I did get a rain cover with the TJ, but before I could throw it on it had rained about 2 feet!!! So when I got home I pulled out all the carpet, pressure washed the interior, pressure washed and cleaned the carpet. No more stinky rain water. What I would really like to do is sell the soft top for a Rampage bowless sailcloth top, along with a set of soft doors, but the funds don't allow and that's about the price of the lift, so I think I'll put those on the back burner :D

· Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I was out washing it and I found a leak on the fan shroud. At first I thought it was power steering fluid but upon further inspection I realized it was the radiator. To confirm my inspection I looked through the folder the previous owner had given me which contained receipts for all the work ever done on the jeep. The last few oil changes had comments on a crack in the radiator so I went ahead and replaced it.

Took about an hour. I wanted to find an all metal replacement but couldn't, it's no big deal though, this one is warrantied for life.

· Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Debated getting a 1" poly performance body lift today but decided against it. I did however get under the Tj and break free all of the body mounts. Much easier than I thought, and as a bonus, no busted bolts :2thumbsup:

Instead of the body lift I went down to Sears and got some new tools. Put together this nice little 2 in 1 tool bag. Small bag inside has all my fluids, along with tow straps, and a bunch of new tools :)

· Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hah, yea right. Well I had originally planned to get a BDS lift and do all the drive line stuff but I have changed my mind and am going with aluminum Metalcloak arched fenders all around. LCOG and aluminum are really starting to catch on and are both a good idea. Hopefully soon I'll have a bunch of packages at more door :D

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.