Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1141 - 1160 of 1205 Posts

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Like a bouncer? A bouncer would have gone up the left side! 😉

Just kidding buddy. I remember that hill. It’s nasty, and the pics don’t show how gnarly it is. Can’t imagine it wet.

Sorry I missed the trip.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,143 ·
Like a bouncer? A bouncer would have gone up the left side! 😉

Just kidding buddy. I remember that hill. It’s nasty, and the pics don’t show how gnarly it is. Can’t imagine it wet.

Sorry I missed the trip.
I think we'll have to make another trip and you show me how its done on the left side. Sucks you couldn't make it. I hope you're feeling better.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,146 ·
Haven't done anything to the Jeep lately so I decided to knock a couple things out today.

We got a little snow last night so I wanted to go play around a bit. Problem was that the Jeep wouldn't run, then it wouldn't start. First it wouldn't run without depressing the gas pedal the whole time. If it let off it would immediately die. After doing that a couple times it just wouldn't start at all. It would crank but no start. I've been getting some symptoms lately of what I believe to be a cam sensor going bad. I decided to try a new one. After installing the new sensor and resetting the computer it fired right up. Hopefully that fixes my issue.

After that I went and played around for a minute. We got more slush than snow so I just did some donuts at the end of my road.

The next thing I did was start working on my bikini top. I like running an LJ bikini top to keep the sun and rain off of me, but it seems every time I go offroad I scrape against trees and rip off the velcro straps that wrap around the cage. I got to where I didn't have much left holding the top on. I decided to try using some snaps to secure them to the cage, that way I don't have anything wrapped around the outside of the cage and I can continue dragging it along the trees.

you can see here how most of the straps are ripped.

I picked up some snaps and an install tool from a boat canvas website, Sailrite.com.

I drilled and installed the male ends onto the cage. I used a total of 17 snaps.

Then I pulled the top and installed the female pieces. In order to do this I had to mark on the canvas where the button needs to go, then use a punch to cut out a hole in the top and finally use an install tool to crimp the snap onto the canvas top.

And finally installed it back onto the cage and fastened all 17 snaps.

And just like that I cleared up the outside of the cage and also made the top a lot tighter so hopefully it doesn't flap around too much.

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
That's a cool idea. It will be interesting to see if snapping the top down makes it quieter from less flapping.

Glad you enjoyed the snow after a rough start. I was out in it today as well. We had a pretty good amount as it was mostly all snow here. Lots of rain up in Nashville though.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,148 ·
Nothing new going on with the Jeep. I've been traveling for the last few weeks for work. I spent a week in San Diego and have been in Japan for the last week and a half. I leave here on Saturday to head home. Here a couple pics from Japan.

Tokyo Tower

The Imperial Palace, where the Emperor of Japan lives.

some old architecture located at the Sankeien Garden in Yokohama

Some locals taking wedding photots

And some fine cuisine.

Ramen

Fried Fugu(pufferfish)

And some sushi

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,152 · (Edited)
Ok I'm back from goofing around as Rob said :LOL:

The next big thing on my radar that I'm tracking for the Jeep is a trip to Moab in April with Jeff. I want to make that trip as painless as possible and do some preventative maintenance before I leave. One area is the trailer, so I went ahead and ordered all new brakes, wheel bearings and seals for it. Once I get that installed the trailer will literally be damn near brand new in every aspect.

As far as the Jeep there are a few things I want to work out and get as bulletproof as I can. One thing that I want to get figured out is engine cooling. I am currently running a Champion aluminum 3 core radiator, stock fan clutch and a plastic mechanical fan from a Ford explorer with a TJ fan shroud. I don't have any cooling issues while driving on the street or most trail riding. I do however have an issue when I'm beating on it offroad. If I'm really hammering it down on an obstacle my temps will climb pretty rapidly then I have to take a bit to let the motor cool down.

I am trying to figure out what I should do. I think my issue is coming from the stock Dodge Durango fan clutch and mechanical fan. I don't think its engaging enough during the hard beatdown sessions. Trying to decide if I should upgrade to an extreme duty fan clutch that'll engage more often or switch over to an electric fan. If I do an electric I know I will need a pretty heavy-duty setup to keep cool.

I've tried to limit blocking air flow to the font side of the radiator as much as possible. I have my winch mounted on the front bumper and the control box is mounted as flat as I can get it while still being outside of the engine compartment, I have a light bar that sits about level with the top of the grill slots, I have a steering cooler that sits at the bottom of the grill and behind the winch, and finally I have a Derale transmission cooler mounted directly in front of the radiator on the passenger side. The trans cooler has a pusher fan on it that engages at 180 degrees to help keep air moving and it has a gap between it and the radiator to allow flow between the two. I have zero issues keeping my trans cool.

I could also be something dumb like having air trapped in the system. What do you guys think? What would you do in my situation?

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
I think those Chrysler motors do have an issue with trapped air. I believe I fought with that for a while with my 5.2. you should probably just LS swap it to be safe.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I've always been told that the 5.9 had cooling issues and this was why it was only offered for 1 year in the Grand Cherokee and even in some of the Ram trucks it was a problem.
I don't have any great ideas or suggestions other than a better radiator and if you're going to go to an electric fan you should use the one that Jeep got for his rig.
The shop he got the fan from sells a nice conversion radiator & 16" SPAL brushless fan setup it's just spendy.

1987-2006 JEEP Wrangler (YJ&TJ) Crossflow Aluminum Radiator (Chevy V8) (wizardcooling.com)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,155 ·
I think those Chrysler motors do have an issue with trapped air. I believe I fought with that for a while with my 5.2. you should probably just LS swap it to be safe.
I think I'm going to try to get some more air out of it. Definitely will not be LS swapping it unless you want to fund it and come do all the work for me. I need it done by April... Thanks :ROFLMAO:

I've always been told that the 5.9 had cooling issues and this was why it was only offered for 1 year in the Grand Cherokee and even in some of the Ram trucks it was a problem.
I don't have any great ideas or suggestions other than a better radiator and if you're going to go to an electric fan you should use the one that Jeep got for his rig.
The shop he got the fan from sells a nice conversion radiator & 16" SPAL brushless fan setup it's just spendy.

1987-2006 JEEP Wrangler (YJ&TJ) Crossflow Aluminum Radiator (Chevy V8) (wizardcooling.com)
They are very proud of that radiator and fan setup. As nice as it is I cannot see myself spending $1300 on it.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,157 ·
Today I knocked out the brakes, bearings and seals on one of my trailer axles. When I ordered these parts I only ordered enough for one axle to make sure everything fit first. I wasn't quite sure my bearing numbers and all without pulling it apart and I ordered the parts while I was in Japan. Everything fit perfect and that one axle stops on a dime now. I went ahead and ordered everything for the other 2 axles.

My old setup was definitely in need of replacement.

Shiny new brake setup. I didn't realize until after I took this picture that the brake shoe on the right side was out of alignment. I fixed that before I installed the hub.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
They are very proud of that radiator and fan setup. As nice as it is I cannot see myself spending $1300 on it.
They are VERY proud of that setup. I'm going to be trying out my brass radiator first and see how it does. And I also need to measure once I have things together how much room I have. I don't know if my engine was moved forward or not. If it was I don't have room for a manual fan and have to stay with the electric and might have to see about getting that same SPAL Jeff did.

Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,159 · (Edited)
My doggone engine fell apart last week...

This started out with a small coolant leak I've been trying to narrow down for bit. It wouldn't happen all the time but only occasionally when the Jeep was cold and sitting for a few days. I would notice coolant leaking from the front end where my head and block meet on the passenger side.

I obviously thought it was a head gasket so I did a test and I wasn't getting any exhaust in my coolant and didn't have any mix of oil either. I then retorqued my head bolts. They have 500 miles since install so a retorque wasn't a bad idea anyway. This was around the middle of January and I thought that it solved my issue. I left for my work travel and when I came back I noticed it was leaking again. But not just there, I was getting a little bit from right around the timing cover as well but it's pretty hard to get my head in there and really pinpoint anything.

I decided that I needed to start taking things apart and pinpoint where this leak was. I ordered up some expensive head gaskets ($50 a piece) in preparation and began removing parts.

After removing the fan/shroud, radiator, Ac compressor, alternator, accessory drive and finally intake manifold I think I found the leak. I think the leak was coming from where the china wall meets the intake. I can see where the coolant was running down from the intake along the crease where the head and block meet and then it drips from where it is in the picture above. I used some RTV along the china wall but I don't think I went high enough up to the gasket and the corner blew out. It appears to have leaked on both sides.

Since I'm already this far and I already have the new gaskets I figured I'd pull the heads and verify they weren't leaking as well, they look good from the naked eye and the gaskets don't look blown out at all.

I can't pull my engine down to a short block and not capitalize on it. I decided that now would be a good time to port/polish my heads and intake manifold. I would love to throw a cam in at some point as well but currently it's impossible to get a magnum cam.

I spent a few hours Friday and Saturday working on the intake. I figured a good gasket match and some liberal porting would help out a bit.

She's got a little bit of meat to cut out to get down to the gasket size

Stock to ported

2 out of 8

While I was at it I built a set of volume reducing plates. You can also see I cut the runners down just a little bit for better flow without reducing torque.

I decided to just use JB weld to set these in. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to tig this thin aluminum to nasty dirty cast aluminum.

And then finally a comparison of the inside runners. Cut but not ported compared to ported set. I will go back today and smooth out the dried JB weld that got into the runner a little bit.

I plan to get the intake finished up today and painted and then turn my attention to the heads. I need to get them torn down and look at what needs to be done.

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Damn bud, all that from a tiny coolant leak.... You are definitely not a half-way dude.

Can't wait to hear about the difference after the porting. Great work.

1141 - 1160 of 1205 Posts