Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1121 - 1140 of 1205 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,121 ·
As Jeff would say, today was a good day in the receiving department.

I ended up buying the Autometer gauges from Nick(Janesy86) and they came in today. The gauges look sweet, and I think they'll look even better hooked up and running in my rig. I need to do a little research and see what I need to do to get everything to run properly with my setup but I'm pretty excited.

I also went and farted around at the junk yard today. I picked up another Magnum intake that I plan to mess around with. I'm thinking of doing a mild port/polish, cutting down the runners and then either building or buying a set of volume reducing plates.

I was able to fortunately find the intake that I needed just sitting in the passenger seat of a truck. That really saved me the time of having to remove one from a vehicle. All I needed to do was remove the throttle body, fuel rail and injectors and I walked out paying $21 after tax.

Once I brought it home I planned to leave it in the garage for now, but it smelled like fuel from removing the injectors so I had to give it a quick bath real quick. I removed all of the old hoses and removed the belly pan so I could get everything pressure washed

I then let it soak in some oven cleaner for a minute

And finally it was clean enough to store in the garage without giving you a headache. I plan to get way more in depth with cleaning it later on.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,123 ·
Don’t you want the long runners for the low end tq?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes you do. There is a guy that's well known in the magnum community that build all kinds of fun stuff for these. He purposefully builds them to keep the low end torque but also increase the power band throughout. He's been able to get +30 ft lbs just by installing a set of volume reducing plates and then cutting the runners to the height of the plates, Which isnt that much lower. This increase is also at like 2500 rpm as well.

This is what the VRP's look like and how the runners are cut. You weld or epoxy these all around the perimeter.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,125 ·
Intake looks good cleaned up a little. It looks like it had the typical blown plenum gasket too.

I sure don't miss having to deal with the kegger intakes anymore.
Yup, definitely looks like a blown plenum gasket. I have Hughes plenum plate on my current intake that I'd swap over. I'm excited to play around with this a bit and see what I can get out of it. I mean if I had your motor setup I wouldn't be messing around with this either.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
As Jeff would say, today was a good day in the receiving department.

I ended up buying the Autometer gauges from Nick(Janesy86) and they came in today. The gauges look sweet, and I think they'll look even better hooked up and running in my rig. I need to do a little research and see what I need to do to get everything to run properly with my setup but I'm pretty excited.

While you are at this point, ditch that clock and get a trans temp gauge.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yup, definitely looks like a blown plenum gasket. I have Hughes plenum plate on my current intake that I'd swap over. I'm excited to play around with this a bit and see what I can get out of it. I mean if I had your motor setup I wouldn't be messing around with this either.
I'm sure it'll be fun to play with too. It's funny to look back at the changes I've gone thru on intakes.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,129 ·
Finally had time to get the Autometer gauges installed. It was a pretty painless process. I cut off the factory connector to the stock gauge wiring harness and wired up a deutsch connector to the connect the old to the new.

In order to run the Autometer gauges I needed to swap out the coolant temp sender and the oil pressure sending unit. The senders you need are these ones. They thread right into place of the old ones on the engine.

The new voltage gauge reads right at 14v so its nice to finally have an accurate voltage gauge again.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,135 · (Edited)
The other day I was cleaning out my garage and ran across some old safari tops and tonneau covers etc. from before I stretched the Jeep. I decided to see if I could make any of it work.

I threw a windjammer on to test fit real quick. It kinda "fits".

Then I threw on a tonneau cover as well. It also physically still fits width wise and actually stops right at my fuel cell.

I decided to cut some slits in the windjammer for my harnesses and then mount it to the front side of the X cross brace in my cage. With it mounted in the front I was able to get everything pulled tight.

And just like that I have an impromptu winter setup with the addition of the full doors.

And of course that meant I had to drive it to work the following day. it was about 40 degrees when I left for work and I was pretty comfortable.

I know this isn't much to any of you guys as you all have full tops and doors but I haven't had anything since I built this to LJ length. It's nice to break down some of the cold wind.

🍻🍻

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
I know this isn't much to any of you guys as you all have full tops and doors but I haven't had anything since I built this to LJ length. It's nice to break down some of the cold wind.

🍻🍻
I know you're not talking to me with that full top and door stuff... Lol We winter wheel like men up here in PA. It does get a little chilly now driving to the trail though since I can drive on the road again.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Nice. I'm too old to enjoy being cold for 4-6 hours driving to a trail and then 6 hours on the trail plus the trip back home after. I'm hoping I can run a half cab top on mine once I'm done with everything. But a windjammer and safari top may be all I can do. But it's better than nothing as you said.

Looks good to me.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,139 ·
I know you're not talking to me with that full top and door stuff... Lol We winter wheel like men up here in PA. It does get a little chilly now driving to the trail though since I can drive on the road again.
I wheel like a man as well. I just threw this stuff on mainly because I have it and I can drive around town with it. I will wheel tomorrow with it on thought because I'm too lazy to remove it.

Nice. I'm too old to enjoy being cold for 4-6 hours driving to a trail and then 6 hours on the trail plus the trip back home after. I'm hoping I can run a half cab top on mine once I'm done with everything. But a windjammer and safari top may be all I can do. But it's better than nothing as you said.

Looks good to me.
I'm with you Rick. The closest park to me is 2.5 hrs away. No way I'm driving me Jeep there to wheel then drive home. I enjoy driving to and from in a nice comfortable truck.

Full top, heater, electric socks, and those cute little pocket hand warmers for me….

🙃
Well that sounds comfy. I gave up that life of luxury a long time ago. Sometimes I think about how I ruined a really nice Jeep. When I bought my Jeep in high school it has A/C, carpet, power door locks and everything. Then I stripped everything and went bare bones.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,140 ·
Yesterday I went out for a quick day trip to Hawk Pride Mountain Offroad park in Alabama. They got hit by a ton of rain the day before so it was pretty nasty but still a good time on the trails. The new trailer pulls amazing. I'm really liking the new setup.

Here's some random pictures of myself and some of the others in the group.

And here's a good example of how nasty an obstacle becomes once it rains. It's very tough to get traction here. Everyone in my group was running stickies and none of them could make it any easier.

We found the solution was to just hit it like a bouncer

1121 - 1140 of 1205 Posts