Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 466 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
SWITCHING BULBS IN THE WIPER / DEFROST SWITCHES

BEFORE (left) AFTER (right)

When I removed the switches to replace those bulbs I discovered at the top of one of the switches there was a bulb that was not a NEO4, I'm guessing it was NEO3 (in the white circle below). I believe that bulb is the indicator bulb that lights up behind the amber colored lense to show when the rear defrost is on.

But if you flip it over on the other side is a NEO4 bulb so I swapped the LED into that spot.

I don't really feel like switching that bulb is necessary. So the 2 NEO4's worked perfectly and did what I was hoping they would. A much cleaner and brighter light. Now I can't wait to swap out the bulbs that light the floorboard and the interior light in the soundbar.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So after doing some night driving this past weekend I realized how poor the factory headlights are. I've been reading and looking into replacement options and I had pretty much decided to go with the Hella e-code housing and the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 bulbs (or the IPF setup, they looked pretty similar to me).

The setup above is going to cost about $120 total.

Then I came across the Halo lights that look so cool on eBay and even found a couple of guys on the forum here that have them.

The ones on the left are about $95 with bulbs. The ones on the right are only $35 with two bulbs and shipping.

Or the Rampage H4 MSR Headlamp Conversion Kit for $90 w/ bulbs.

The halo's definitely look cool, but I think I need to find someone who has them and get their opinion on the light output compared to stock...That is the primary objective - better lighting from the headlights.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My check engine light has been on for a while now so I stopped by Advanced Auto Parts and borrowed their scanner and this is what I got:

Not exactly sure where to start...

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I believe I have decided I'm either going to go with the Hella e-codes, or save up for the Cibies. Haven't decided on bulbs yet...

The Halo's just look cheap & ricey and they probably don't perform near as well when it comes to light output/pattern & durability.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This weekend a group of local Jeep owners got together to do some backroads driving. We had a great time. It was the first 'jeep thing' I've done since selling my old YJ. Here are a few photos.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
During the commercials of the Falcons v. 49er's game today I replaced both broken front swaybar end links with a brand new pair I still had lying around from 11 YEARS ago.

I rocked the jeep back and forth to see if the popping was gone & discovered there is still noise coming from the rear swaybar end links. The nuts were tight so I'm not sure what's up with that. Maybe at some point the bolts were changed & the bolt diameter is too small.

I also ordered new led lights for the floorboards and dome light from www.superbrightleds.com . That will finish up the entire interior with LEDs. It looks much better.

My new floor liners should be here Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I decided to compare the jeep's measurements to the Stock TJ Specifications thread in the TJ forum.

Stock: Ground clearance (at axle) = 9.3" front / 8.3" rear

My Jeep: Ground clearance (at axle) = 10" front / 9.75" rear

Other measurements:

19 5/8" to bottom of front bumper.

19 1/2" to side of tub at drivers door

17 3/4" to bottom of rear bumper (hitch sits lower)

12 1/8" to bottom of gas tank skid

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Got my LED lights for the floorboard & dome light today from www.superbrightleds.com . They are basically the same size as the regular bulb, but even in the daylight the floorboard is very well lit. I can't wait to see it at night. It should be "superbright" :)

Cable Plastic Automotive exterior Auto part Electric blue

Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Grey

Car Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Personal luxury car

Fixture Automotive exterior Tints and shades Window Auto part

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So I finally picked up another air box & intake tube off of Craigslist & discovered it was from an '05 or newer and I needed an '04 or older.

One difference was instead of a hose going from the intake tube to the valve cover, the hose went from the air box to the valve cover.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Auto part

One other difference was a hole on the backside of the intake tube where something plugs into the intake tube just before the tube turns down into the intake. My 2001 didn't have anything in that spot.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

I'm not sure what I'll cover the hole with yet. It's amazing how much quieter it is with the factory setup compared to the junk that was on there before.

I also got my full size spare mounted up. A great Craigslist find for $85.

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Wheel Automotive tail & brake light

I should get to order my lift, cb, & rock sliders this weekend. I cannot wait.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
high five on the 180k milestone!! I just rolled over 180k myself, cool to see others out there still modding their high mileage rigs :D

i love those quadratec floor mats, i've looked at them but have always been weary of q-tec products, those look awesome though. I'll have to pick some up. do you have the rear too?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
NBMgreg said:
high five on the 180k milestone!! I just rolled over 180k myself, cool to see others out there still modding their high mileage rigs :D

i love those quadratec floor mats, i've looked at them but have always been weary of q-tec products, those look awesome though. I'll have to pick some up. do you have the rear too?
Thanks! No rear mats yet. There is so much more that I want to do Higher on the priority list, but eventually I'll put some back there.

21 - 40 of 466 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.