Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
221 - 234 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
Rubicon
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
View attachment 4154071
Nope! Shouldn't make a difference at all. As a matter of fact, I'm putting on some new tires as I type, and my clips are gone as well.

The surface of your wheel is still flat against the drum. As long as your lugs are good, you should be too

You have so much new stuff under there.... alot of adjustments to be made. Did you balance your tires?

Hoss
Ha, nice! That's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.

I'm now heavily suspecting the tie rod ends were blown. I took it off and could move the end joints around by hand pretty easily. Also the toe is definitely off again after one day of trail testing. I have a new TeraFlex HD Tie Rod coming in this evening!

So the tires...the online retailer balanced them before delivering. I choose the Balance Bead option because I was basically ignorant to their pros & cons. And I'm wondering if the beads could also be contributing to my wheel shimmy. That's why I'm rotating them now. If it still persists after the new tie rod and toe adjustment, I may have the beads removed and just use traditional weights.

·
Premium Member
10,794 Posts
I have no personal experience with the beads, but tons of experience with regular balancing. It's hard to get correct under the best of circumstances, and the bigger the tire, the harder it is.

Hoss

·
Registered
Rubicon
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Oooh yeah! TeraFlex HD tie rod just arrived and what a beast! Will get it installed in a bit, but have high hopes this fixes the wobble. The new end joints are way bigger, and are not moveable by hand like my factory tie rod. Plus the new ends are greasable and tuneable if they fall out of spec, just like the TF HD ball joints I installed for the steering knuckles
Asphalt Road surface Wood Gas Art

Automotive tire Grey Sleeve Electric blue Personal protective equipment

Bicycle part Auto part Wood Metal Electric blue

·
Registered
Rubicon
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Just did a test drive and ya I can tell an immediate different with the new beefed up end ball joints. Didn't get any of the wobble I was experiencing before. I'm taking it.back up to the mountains on Monday to do some trails with my Dad up here from TX.

Reactions: JoonHoss

·
Registered
Rubicon
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Drove jeep to the data center today and man, what a difference. Zero wheel wobble! Actually got it up to about 55-60 mph at one point and still felt solid. Fastest I've gone in the jeep so far lol.

Gotta finish up the Joying HU install and route the wiring for the video switcher and 4 cameras. I returned the Anytime switcher, didn't work. Bought a Pyle switcher to try out next. This version will actually combine the video feeds to display all 4 cameras at one time. So that will be pretty cool for rock crawling.

·
Registered
Rubicon
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Dang it, technical snafu with the 4 camera setup. Small victory is that the Pyle switcher is actually sending a signal to the Headunit, WIN! and it can display all four cameras on the screen at once, COOL! Issue is that the cameras I ordered to use are AHD (analog HD 720p and above). Basically HD over the normal yellow rca video cable. BUT none of the 4 to 1 camera splitters support that signal. Only the older PAL/NTSC 480p. So, Amazon return and ordered new cameras. Half the price, and half the resolution.
Computer Personal computer Netbook Computer monitor Blue

·
Registered
Rubicon
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Waiting for new cameras to arrive today that should work.

In the meantime, I figured out why the factory Remote Start wasn't working! With the hood being damaged and not being able to use those side hood latches, the hood isn't engaging the Hood Sensor at all. And that is preventing Remote Start. If I push down that Hood Sensor manually, Remote Start works! I'll need to sort this out incase the Jeep doesn't sell before winter. Cause I'm gonna need that feature!

·
Registered
Rubicon
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Finally got around to buying turn signal and parking light replacements. I only had one light bulb receiver/connector for the turn signals, and both of the side marker connectors looked messed up. Luckily it was just the bulb side connectors. Ordered LED replacement housings off amazon that come with the connectors already. + $45 total for both turn signal and side marker housing/led bulbs

·
Registered
Rubicon
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
also learned that I can't register this vehicle at all for a license plate in CO until I go through the process of applying for and getting inspections to turn the Salvage Title into a Rebuilt From Salvage Title. That's the only way I can legally drive it on the road or sell it. Funny they had quotes around "legal way" but didn't elaborate lol.

·
Registered
Rubicon
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
just tested the new cameras with the video switcher. And while they do work, the resolution/video quality is unacceptable. So I'll have to continue my search for a suitable one. I've found a few HD systems, but they're birds eye view systems and that's not what i'm going for.

The dedicated backup camera on the other hand has been amazing!

·
Registered
Rubicon
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
221 - 234 of 234 Posts