Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Project "Reassembly"

157419 Views 376 Replies 106 Participants Last post by  SKT
EDIT:
Thanks to the greed of photobucket, the photos are no longer embedded into the threads. It has been a pleasure to share this information with forum members and guests. The following link will lead to the bulk of relevant photos related to this thread:
http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Fatman_CJ7/library/Reassembly?sort=2&page=1

Well today is the first day of final assembly for the CJ. We have done all the mock up, we've painted, welded, sanded, tweaked, all the major parts that are going to be messed with for the most part. (Sorry the tub is not done yet) but we've got to get the roller ready so we can go pick it up soon.

I'll be brief in a lot of this thread as most of the sub assemblies have been done and discussed in other threads, ie. you will see the suspension go in as a whole but I not be going into detail about regearing, caster, hubs, brakes, etc, as I have threaded this information in the past and a majority of this was done in mock up. I'll try to hit on some of the details that you won't see on most other jeeps, why I'm using or making a certain product as well as providing information on the products and distributors that I use.

In 3 days 11/27/07, I will have had this Jeep for one year, I'm sure I could have done this project quicker and spent more time working on it, (ask my wife, she'll tell ya this is where I spend ALL my time) but truthfully I have to balance this with family and work. I am estimating that I have four more months of work before I am 100% complete and ready to road test.

This is thanksgiving weekend so, I do want to thank some people who have been a tremendous help in the past year. My Son who has done ALL the stuff I didn't want to do, he has been great and I think has learned a lot in the process. I can't wait to give him the keys. I'd also like to thank my buddy Eric who comes over and helps every time I ask, he's helped me with parts on my jeep, tools, vendors, just a great friend. Eddie has also been just an incredible asset with the products he makes to custom one offs he's done for me and being able to bounce ideas I had for this Jeep off him when I was first planning the build, THANKS BESRK! And there are another 10 dozen of you guys out there that have sent tools, needed tools, bought, sold or traded parts as we all needed them. Thanks to all you guys for making this an enjoyable platform to receive and provide information. !!!!!

OK, so I finished the 2nd coat of Chassis Black on the frame and misc parts on Wed (nice 75* day), rolled everything into the garage and cranked the heat up until I got back in town last night.

This morning Aryn & I moved the frame out to the driveway and put the suspension back in place. Completely rebuilt, regeared D30 & D44 with new everything! Rebuild and gearing was done by Ted Wendel of Richmond VA.

Brakes, were all reinstalled, sway bar, shocks, pitman connection, bump stops, ...

Brake lines, prop valve,

One thing I'm doing is running the rear lighting harness inside the frame as well as the tow electrical setup:

161 - 180 of 377 Posts

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
I took this test back in 96. It was a [email protected]# then. I should have just done the commercial test then, I wouldn't have to be doing it again.
Residential market here is still strong, it's just a pain in the ***. Commercial is so easy and there is so much more to do.

This is what I've been doing since 96:
http://tpchomes.net/

I went and worked at NC State for 2 years as a PM and got recruited to head up construction for a LD. Great bunch of guys.
http://www.landcorecommercial.com/

I'm getting ready to develop a center in Southern Pines 14,000 sf next month and will start construction on another center 500,000 sf of mixed use in Pinehurst in the fall.

· Registered
1,142 Posts
Fatman, that thing is looking GREAT. I was wondering if you could do me a favor though. Before you take any more pics could you please clutter up the shop a little bit? If my wife ever gets a look at those pics I'm dead. I tell her that everybody works in a cluttered s**thole like me.......

· Registered
173 Posts
Fatman,

That is cool!! We have done a lot of work in the carolinas and southern states. Right now that is a better market then up here. We are GC's and primary work for CVS and Staples building there buildings all over but do some other drug stores and retail centers also. Must be a construction thing and jeeps as I have noticed a lot of guys on here do some sort of construction.

Once again Good luck on the test!!

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Fatman, that thing is looking GREAT. I was wondering if you could do me a favor though. Before you take any more pics could you please clutter up the shop a little bit? If my wife ever gets a look at those pics I'm dead. I tell her that everybody works in a cluttered s**thole like me.......
ARE YOU KIDDING ME ??? Get your wife out to the garage and tell her to get cleaning. Explain the many uses of a shop vac. Explain that a broom is more than just cheep transportation. 409, simple green, pressure washer, these are things that YOUR mother in law should have explained to her at a young age, sounds like she failed as a mum, be sure to let her know next time she comes a visit'n. BTW, I request you post results of me passing on this information in your own thread. ... I don't want any blood or body parts left in here. :D

Fatman,
That is cool!! We have done a lot of work in the carolinas and southern states. Right now that is a better market then up here. We are GC's and primary work for CVS and Staples building there buildings all over but do some other drug stores and retail centers also. Must be a construction thing and jeeps as I have noticed a lot of guys on here do some sort of construction.

Once again Good luck on the test!!
Thanks and,
Look me up if you're ever in town. :cheers:

· Registered
30+ CJs. Instagram az_jeepman
2,551 Posts
ARE YOU KIDDING ME ??? Get your wife out to the garage and tell her to get cleaning. Explain the many uses of a shop vac. Explain that a broom is more than just cheep transportation. 409, simple green, pressure washer, these are things that YOUR mother in law should have explained to her at a young age, sounds like she failed as a mum, be sure to let her know next time she comes a visit'n. BTW, I request you post results of me passing on this information in your own thread. ... I don't want any blood or body parts left in here. :D
Yeah yeah yeah...

They control us...they all do.:(

As a matter of fact, when I get home I have to do the laundry, clean the dishes, dust the blinds, scrub the toilets, and mop the floor. All in my french maids suit.

:brickwall

· Bicentennial Nickel
2,475 Posts
You da man! You need to start your own Jeep restoration shop and join the Teutul Boys on TLC only with JEEPS.
I pitched this idea to them a while back, but they said that they needed to know WHO the audience would be.

Basically they were fishing for how much drama one could create and if they could portray it in a way that people would tune in to see drama. I watch car shows for tech, not drama, but apparently the world does not.

cb

· Registered
1,017 Posts
As for the heater box and air duct cables;
The Defrost cable goes to the lower center on the heater box. Your picture B.
The Temp cable goes to the lower drivers side of the heater box. Your picture A.
The Air cable goes to the top center on the freash air duct. Your picture C.

-

· Registered
295 Posts
Fatman do you happen to have any updated pics of your windshield frame and glass seal? Seems the glass company that put mine in did it the same way you did and it looks like your picture you have posted. The pic with it showing way too much ribbed seal facing out. I read that you said it was inside out????? Mine looks like crap and leaks like crazy. I'm sure it's in backwards or wrong or something. Thanks

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
As for the heater box and air duct cables;
The Defrost cable goes to the lower center on the heater box. Your picture B.
The Temp cable goes to the lower drivers side of the heater box. Your picture A.
The Air cable goes to the top center on the freash air duct. Your picture C.-
Thank you sir. Updated the pics for others just a bit, thanks to you.

Fatman do you happen to have any updated pics of your windshield frame and glass seal? Seems the glass company that put mine in did it the same way you did and it looks like your picture you have posted. The pic with it showing way too much ribbed seal facing out. I read that you said it was inside out????? Mine looks like crap and leaks like crazy. I'm sure it's in backwards or wrong or something. Thanks
Here's my windshield thread. I still haven't replaced my glass.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530649

· Registered
1,142 Posts
Believe me Fatman I tried. She came out bi**ching at me because the garage is such a mess. I handed her some gloves and said if it bothers her so much she could help clean it up. Oops. Then came the long lecture about how people have to walk through the garage to get in the house and all think I'm a slob. She then tried to convince me to build another entrance to the house it was so bad in there. (Yes, another Jeeper in the ocnstruction biz) I laughed. At least she hasn't cut me off. (from working on the Jeep that is....)

· Registered
1,383 Posts
I sent you a PM man, requesting help, I feel like a patsy asking for donations or something. Curse all your good designs.

· WTF is that?
1,483 Posts
The dash turned out excellent!!!! You gonne be able to remember what all the lights mean? :)

· Registered
66 Posts
Smart man not putting speakers in the dash, all they do is rattle and shake everything apart. Looking great, you are an inspiration to many of us on the forum.

161 - 180 of 377 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.