Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
61 - 80 of 377 Posts

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Dave, looking good there. Almost warm enough for the Herc job now.
It's 48* at 9am. I'm going to go out about 10-ish and wash it out with "Dawn". (gotta be careful with our current water restrictions)

If it gets close to 64* and I can get the tub dry enough, I'll get the primer put down.

Eric may be coming down around noon, you're more than welcome. Just not sure what we'll be able to get done with the temps. Give me a call.

As for the filter thing, these days it's pot luck with anything you buy.

· Registered
1,383 Posts
It hasn't been as warm down there as it has up here has it Dave? It was 70+ 3 days this week up here. I sprayed some of my last stuff actually, and it set up great.

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
It hasn't been as warm down there as it has up here has it Dave? It was 70+ 3 days this week up here. I sprayed some of my last stuff actually, and it set up great.
We got that same stretch of warmth, Friday was in the 80's. Today's not going to hit 45*

Got some other stuff done, can't do anything on the interior, so...

New plastic thinga majiggers for the clutch thina mabob

Drilled and added a spring to keep the actuater rod in place

Put in the rear cage tie-ins

New O-rings and connected the PS lines

Put the Vanco Brakes in place, this was a waste of $, bout an inch too wide. :brickwall

SS battery tray

Gotta go up to the shop Monday and size some Russell Hardware for the Fuel pump, TBI, and return lines

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
the vanco brake assembly was too wide? or the air filter?
it'll fit, just not with the K&N

I'm wondering if I'm going to need to put a solid motor mount on the pass side to keep it from flexing. I've got about 1/4 - 1/2" of room between the linkage

· Registered
3,193 Posts
either a solid mount or a turn buckle from an engine bolt to the frame somewhere..I have used a length of chain on drag cars without solid mounts...Like the 77 trans am I'm slowly building for Pinks..

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Vanco Brakes

Ok, I'm kinda concerned that I've got the wrong Bracket with my brake booster.

I know someone is going to pick up on it, yes I know the threaded extension is up side down. :thumbsup:

The flexible rubber piece does not reach the firewall and I didn't get any type of gromet to fill this area?

When I but the two components together and align the brake turn out to match the clutch stop I have over an inch of thread.
This is about equal to the distance of the rubber away from the firewall.

Close ups:

This showes it well:

Am I missing a piece or do I have the wrong brackets?

· Registered
30+ CJs. Instagram az_jeepman
2,546 Posts
Ok, I'm kinda concerned that I've got the wrong Bracket with my brake booster.

The flexible rubber piece does not reach the firewall and I didn't get any type of gromet to fill this area?

Am I missing a piece or do I have the wrong brackets?
Hmm, weird. Why didnt you just do the YJ swap instead of the Vanco system? Nothing wrong with Vanco, just curious.

· Registered
569 Posts
What are the brackets you have now for, it looks to me as if there about an 1 1/2 to long themselves.

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Hmm, weird. Why didnt you just do the YJ swap instead of the Vanco system? Nothing wrong with Vanco, just curious.
No offense to any one with a CJ running YJ brakes, but I was not about to put junkyard brakes on something my family will be driving.
Van has a hell of a good reputation, nuff said.

I have been waiting months to see those steps. Functional and something a DIY can do.
BTW sweet project.
Glad you like, nice for DD, easy to pop off when it's LOW - GO time.

Man, I am trying to catch up with you, but you are moving on with the reassembly! Good job. Your pictures are going to be very helpful.
Let's get that 300 back together, let me know if I can help

What are the brackets you have now for, it looks to me as if there about an 1 1/2 to long themselves.
They are 3 5/8" from booster to firewall.
2" would be perfect.

· Registered
569 Posts
Can you not call vanco and confirm the bracket size then go to your buddies shop and have him brake u out some new ones out of stainless

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Can you not call vanco and confirm the bracket size then go to your buddies shop and have him brake u out some new ones out of stainless
Sent Van a PM 4 hours ago. I'm sure I'll hear from him tomorrow.
I'll let ya'll know how their customer service goes but I have no doubt it'll be top notch.

· Registered
385 Posts
I actually thought I was responding to his PM.

His brackets are correct. We do have a boot for the firewall (It's a stock new one which most vehicles should have). There's other things I want to discuss with him though.

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Spoke to Van earlier today, and though his current design is for 3 5/8" brackets, he did indicate it would function very well with a 2" bracket. Just not something he is manufacturing at this time. That is my next procedure for the Power Booster.
Moving the booster rearward will solve two functions, providing greater clearance at the TBI, and the rod seal will butt up against the firewall hole.
I’ll also be obtaining and installing a firewall seal that I didn’t have with my manual brakes.

Van, was great to talk to. Glad to have him on this site as a vendor and someone that stands behind his product. I'd buy from him again tomorrow if I needed to.

Pictures of bracket modifications to follow soon.

61 - 80 of 377 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.