Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Project "Reassembly"

157156 376
EDIT:
Thanks to the greed of photobucket, the photos are no longer embedded into the threads. It has been a pleasure to share this information with forum members and guests. The following link will lead to the bulk of relevant photos related to this thread:
http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Fatman_CJ7/library/Reassembly?sort=2&page=1

Well today is the first day of final assembly for the CJ. We have done all the mock up, we've painted, welded, sanded, tweaked, all the major parts that are going to be messed with for the most part. (Sorry the tub is not done yet) but we've got to get the roller ready so we can go pick it up soon.

I'll be brief in a lot of this thread as most of the sub assemblies have been done and discussed in other threads, ie. you will see the suspension go in as a whole but I not be going into detail about regearing, caster, hubs, brakes, etc, as I have threaded this information in the past and a majority of this was done in mock up. I'll try to hit on some of the details that you won't see on most other jeeps, why I'm using or making a certain product as well as providing information on the products and distributors that I use.

In 3 days 11/27/07, I will have had this Jeep for one year, I'm sure I could have done this project quicker and spent more time working on it, (ask my wife, she'll tell ya this is where I spend ALL my time) but truthfully I have to balance this with family and work. I am estimating that I have four more months of work before I am 100% complete and ready to road test.

This is thanksgiving weekend so, I do want to thank some people who have been a tremendous help in the past year. My Son who has done ALL the stuff I didn't want to do, he has been great and I think has learned a lot in the process. I can't wait to give him the keys. I'd also like to thank my buddy Eric who comes over and helps every time I ask, he's helped me with parts on my jeep, tools, vendors, just a great friend. Eddie has also been just an incredible asset with the products he makes to custom one offs he's done for me and being able to bounce ideas I had for this Jeep off him when I was first planning the build, THANKS BESRK! And there are another 10 dozen of you guys out there that have sent tools, needed tools, bought, sold or traded parts as we all needed them. Thanks to all you guys for making this an enjoyable platform to receive and provide information. !!!!!

OK, so I finished the 2nd coat of Chassis Black on the frame and misc parts on Wed (nice 75* day), rolled everything into the garage and cranked the heat up until I got back in town last night.

This morning Aryn & I moved the frame out to the driveway and put the suspension back in place. Completely rebuilt, regeared D30 & D44 with new everything! Rebuild and gearing was done by Ted Wendel of Richmond VA.

Brakes, were all reinstalled, sway bar, shocks, pitman connection, bump stops, ...

Brake lines, prop valve,

One thing I'm doing is running the rear lighting harness inside the frame as well as the tow electrical setup:

21 - 40 of 377 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
The flip flops are a standard issue item when working on Jeeps down here in Florida! At least he doesn't have a cigarette hanging out of his mouth like one of my neighbors....does Tyvex burn?????

But seriously, good work Fatman...your project looks fantastic. And you have thoroughly convinced me that my Jeep is a hoopty.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
TetanusCJ7 said:
The flip flops are a standard issue item when working on Jeeps down here in Florida! At least he doesn't have a cigarette hanging out of his mouth like one of my neighbors....does Tyvex burn?????

But seriously, good work Fatman...your project looks fantastic. And you have thoroughly convinced me that my Jeep is a hoopty.
He could of made a new one rolling off the line in 1985 look like a hoopty.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Fatman, You are to the best part. You will see how your hard work is paying off. This is a great documented buid. I thought I had too many pics of mine while I built, but you win this one. Thanks for showing us all how it should and can be done. Your son has an awesome father. I wish mione was still around to see what I have accomplished on mine. Keep up the hard work, you are almost there. I just hope you remember to give him the keys.

PEEH

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nice work. I don't want to take mine off road after all the time I spent building mine. If I spent the time you did I wouldn't want to take it out of the garage. I think I would do what Besrk said and park it in the living room. Then you could sit in it and watch an off roading video on tv.:D

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Joonhoss71 said:
Am I the only one to appreciate the irony of full a hood, respirator, and flip-flops? :p
lookin' good so far! :thumbsup:
Hoss
Ha! I love it that you picked up on that. My wife gives me crap for having black toes for weeks. By the way, they are OSHA approved flops. :laugh:

PEEH said:
Fatman, You are to the best part. You will see how your hard work is paying off. This is a great documented buid. I thought I had too many pics of mine while I built, but you win this one. Thanks for showing us all how it should and can be done. Your son has an awesome father. I wish mione was still around to see what I have accomplished on mine. Keep up the hard work, you are almost there. I just hope you remember to give him the keys.
PEEH
Thanks PEEH, he's an awesome kid, and well deserving of the Jeep. At 15 he has goals in place and the grades and course selections to get him there (Annapolis). Saving me $100K in tuition I think is a fair trade off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just make sure he can pass the color vision test. That's why I didn't get in. :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Fatman wheeeeeerrrrre arrrrrre yooouuuuuu. Well I check this forum every morning to see if there is updates and I find nothing. then before I leave for the day and still nothing I hope you have an 12 step program for this. We are all going through withdrawls. Great looking project. You have been a great help to many. Can't wait to see the final product.JC

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
BESRK said:
<---------- Sitting outside Fatman's window waiting patiently for the painted tub to show up. Seriously.. look out the window Dave... :D
Eddie, do you have my cage with you?:tea:

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Fatman, You realize that your kid wont get to drive that jeep for his first three years at the academy. Your gonna have to take it around and make sure everything works atleast 5 1/2 times a week. That is what my dad does with mine while i am away, and mine is not even close to being restored.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yeah, where the hell is Fatman, he's supposed to be work'n on that Jeep and snap'n pics for us all...

Ok, so I'm a lil behind. . now for the excuses, laptop went kerplunk a few weeks ago ... almost back up but a loss of 3 years of data. And I'm prep'n for a new job, I interview tomorrow. :2thumbsup:

spk454 said:
Fatman, as I and others have said great job! Is that a brand spanking new prop. valve? Where did you get it?
spark, it's my 23 yo stock unit, cleaned up.

aero mech said:
Fatman wheeeeeerrrrre arrrrrre yooouuuuuu. Well I check this forum every morning to see if there is updates and I find nothing. then before I leave for the day and still nothing I hope you have an 12 step program for this. We are all going through withdrawls. Great looking project. You have been a great help to many. Can't wait to see the final product.JC
JC, I'm right here, right HERE! I was over there earlier, but Eddie was look'n through the window (holding a frightened animal & wearing womenz night clothes) and he skeered the hell outta me so I'll be here for a while.

BESRK said:
<---------- Sitting outside Fatman's window waiting patiently for the painted tub to show up. Seriously.. look out the window Dave... :D
I don't think what you were doing outside my window could be described as "waiting patiently" My neighbor called and asked what happened to the nightgown she had hanging on the line, and there is a cat missing since you left. Care to explain?
johnnyboy_10138 said:
Fatman, You realize that your kid wont get to drive that jeep for his first three years at the academy. Your gonna have to take it around and make sure everything works atleast 5 1/2 times a week. That is what my dad does with mine while i am away, and mine is not even close to being restored.
Ha, ha, someone else figured out how I get to make this my DD for 3 years while he's away. I think I'm looking forward to it as much as he is! :cheers2:

Looks like the tin is going to be ready to pick up on the 16th. Look'n forward to setting it back on the frame for good.
This weekend is supposed to be in the mid 70's, sure wish it was here so I could spray the liner.

Helped put a cam in a SBC for a friend last weekend, I wonder how long it's going to take for all the leaks to start. :laugh: j/k

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
mg2000xj said:
progress? anything?
I¬LL BE back to this shortly. I¬m in Switzerland for the holidays and should get my tub when I get back.

wish I brought my USB for the camera so I could share pictures. this place has beautiful mountains.

See ya all soon enough

·
Registered
209 Posts
must be nice

well must be nice .. get back im catching up i finished painting my frame today .. x mas ile be putting axles back on and priming the tub hopefully .. i need to u ahead of me for ideas.. hapy holidays man :tea:

21 - 40 of 377 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.