Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT:
Thanks to the greed of photobucket, the photos are no longer embedded into the threads. It has been a pleasure to share this information with forum members and guests. The following link will lead to the bulk of relevant photos related to this thread:
http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Fatman_CJ7/library/Reassembly?sort=2&page=1

Well today is the first day of final assembly for the CJ. We have done all the mock up, we've painted, welded, sanded, tweaked, all the major parts that are going to be messed with for the most part. (Sorry the tub is not done yet) but we've got to get the roller ready so we can go pick it up soon.

I'll be brief in a lot of this thread as most of the sub assemblies have been done and discussed in other threads, ie. you will see the suspension go in as a whole but I not be going into detail about regearing, caster, hubs, brakes, etc, as I have threaded this information in the past and a majority of this was done in mock up. I'll try to hit on some of the details that you won't see on most other jeeps, why I'm using or making a certain product as well as providing information on the products and distributors that I use.

In 3 days 11/27/07, I will have had this Jeep for one year, I'm sure I could have done this project quicker and spent more time working on it, (ask my wife, she'll tell ya this is where I spend ALL my time) but truthfully I have to balance this with family and work. I am estimating that I have four more months of work before I am 100% complete and ready to road test.

This is thanksgiving weekend so, I do want to thank some people who have been a tremendous help in the past year. My Son who has done ALL the stuff I didn't want to do, he has been great and I think has learned a lot in the process. I can't wait to give him the keys. I'd also like to thank my buddy Eric who comes over and helps every time I ask, he's helped me with parts on my jeep, tools, vendors, just a great friend. Eddie has also been just an incredible asset with the products he makes to custom one offs he's done for me and being able to bounce ideas I had for this Jeep off him when I was first planning the build, THANKS BESRK! And there are another 10 dozen of you guys out there that have sent tools, needed tools, bought, sold or traded parts as we all needed them. Thanks to all you guys for making this an enjoyable platform to receive and provide information. !!!!!

OK, so I finished the 2nd coat of Chassis Black on the frame and misc parts on Wed (nice 75* day), rolled everything into the garage and cranked the heat up until I got back in town last night.

This morning Aryn & I moved the frame out to the driveway and put the suspension back in place. Completely rebuilt, regeared D30 & D44 with new everything! Rebuild and gearing was done by Ted Wendel of Richmond VA.

Brakes, were all reinstalled, sway bar, shocks, pitman connection, bump stops, ...

Brake lines, prop valve,

One thing I'm doing is running the rear lighting harness inside the frame as well as the tow electrical setup:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've set up the rear with a set of 55 watt lights and build a license plate bracket that should hold up well to abuse. Lights for the plate connect in to the tow harness:

These lights sit under the frame and in front of the rear wheels, Eric's been helping me figure out the wiring and relay setup.

Got the dash started, I'll start putting in my indicator lights. And adding switches.

More to follow soon.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jatepper said:
:cheers2: Lookin good Fatman. We all cant wait to see the finished product.
About the license plate... it looks awesome, but what if you guys want to tow something? Do you have an alternate spot for it in this case? Also, I am assuming you have a quick connect cannon plug for the light on the plate bracket too?

***EDIT*** Just read the part where you say you have the light tapped in to the trailer harness. However, my question still remains about you alternate plate location for when you tow??
Well the way I figured it, if I'm towing something then there's not much of a chance someone (cop) would be able to see the license plate anyway. :laugh:
As for the kid, I don't want him towing with it till he's got more experience.

tsujeeper said:
Lookin good! I hope to be where you are within a few months but I'm just now at the disassembly stage! Couple questions, where did you get the brake and fuel lines? Did they come prebent? What about the fuel tank, is that an aftermarket 20 gallon tank? I'm looking forward to the next installment in the series!
Brakes - pre bent 4WD.com
Fuel line is 5/16" stainless 20' roll, also from 4WD.
Fuel tank is a 24 gal from Trail Quest trailquest.com 800 770 2617

84MSRB said:
You obviously did not use the same Gallon can of industrial strength Rustoleum that I used on the frame. Mine's shinier.
Those bumpers look really good on there.
The question- to make or buy?
I originally shot mine with Rustoleum bare metal primer and their flat black. I did not like the result, Yours is shinier because I shot mine at low pressure for texture. :cheers2:
Bumpers, make or buy? - There's no better than BESRK's !

vtjeeps said:
im a little behind u on your build in just getting dune all my welding on my frame and getting ready for paint.. my question is im putting under carriage light also but im facing mine to the rear so the rocks flying do not smash my lights .. y did u face them forward?....

oh second ? how long did the por take to dry between coats did u do it in one day?
I put my under carriage lights in that way because I don't like to drive in reverse much. :D
I'll have covers on them when not needed and if they take a hit, they were not bank busters.
The POR is tacky enough for a second coat after 2 hours. You want to avoid letting it set up between coats or before the UV coat. I shot their Chassis Black paint at 20 PSI after a 2 hour wait. Then the final coat 3 days later.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
certifiablejeep said:
I have to be missing something here.
I can't seem to see what the price is for the gas tank.
I see that it says oversized 23 gal. hevey duty tank for a CJ or YJ, but no prices...
Do you remember how much the tank was?
Thanks,
cb
http://trailquest.com/Jeep_tanks/price-list.shtml

CB, give em a call, they'll work up a $ for a custom.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jatepper said:
Just curious as to why you painted your tub before you lined it? I would think lining it first would be most advantageous because any overspray on to the outside of the tub could easily be sanded off. You cant sand it off real well with fresh paint.
The Herc will overlap the paint by about an inch all the way around.

Overspray? I'm going to be a little bit more careful than that. It will be taped off and sealed before the first can of Herc even gets opened. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Joonhoss71 said:
Am I the only one to appreciate the irony of full a hood, respirator, and flip-flops? :p
lookin' good so far! :thumbsup:
Hoss
Ha! I love it that you picked up on that. My wife gives me crap for having black toes for weeks. By the way, they are OSHA approved flops. :laugh:

PEEH said:
Fatman, You are to the best part. You will see how your hard work is paying off. This is a great documented buid. I thought I had too many pics of mine while I built, but you win this one. Thanks for showing us all how it should and can be done. Your son has an awesome father. I wish mione was still around to see what I have accomplished on mine. Keep up the hard work, you are almost there. I just hope you remember to give him the keys.
PEEH
Thanks PEEH, he's an awesome kid, and well deserving of the Jeep. At 15 he has goals in place and the grades and course selections to get him there (Annapolis). Saving me $100K in tuition I think is a fair trade off.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yeah, where the hell is Fatman, he's supposed to be work'n on that Jeep and snap'n pics for us all...

Ok, so I'm a lil behind. . now for the excuses, laptop went kerplunk a few weeks ago ... almost back up but a loss of 3 years of data. And I'm prep'n for a new job, I interview tomorrow. :2thumbsup:

spk454 said:
Fatman, as I and others have said great job! Is that a brand spanking new prop. valve? Where did you get it?
spark, it's my 23 yo stock unit, cleaned up.

aero mech said:
Fatman wheeeeeerrrrre arrrrrre yooouuuuuu. Well I check this forum every morning to see if there is updates and I find nothing. then before I leave for the day and still nothing I hope you have an 12 step program for this. We are all going through withdrawls. Great looking project. You have been a great help to many. Can't wait to see the final product.JC
JC, I'm right here, right HERE! I was over there earlier, but Eddie was look'n through the window (holding a frightened animal & wearing womenz night clothes) and he skeered the hell outta me so I'll be here for a while.

BESRK said:
<---------- Sitting outside Fatman's window waiting patiently for the painted tub to show up. Seriously.. look out the window Dave... :D
I don't think what you were doing outside my window could be described as "waiting patiently" My neighbor called and asked what happened to the nightgown she had hanging on the line, and there is a cat missing since you left. Care to explain?
johnnyboy_10138 said:
Fatman, You realize that your kid wont get to drive that jeep for his first three years at the academy. Your gonna have to take it around and make sure everything works atleast 5 1/2 times a week. That is what my dad does with mine while i am away, and mine is not even close to being restored.
Ha, ha, someone else figured out how I get to make this my DD for 3 years while he's away. I think I'm looking forward to it as much as he is! :cheers2:

Looks like the tin is going to be ready to pick up on the 16th. Look'n forward to setting it back on the frame for good.
This weekend is supposed to be in the mid 70's, sure wish it was here so I could spray the liner.

Helped put a cam in a SBC for a friend last weekend, I wonder how long it's going to take for all the leaks to start. :laugh: j/k

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
mg2000xj said:
progress? anything?
I¬LL BE back to this shortly. I¬m in Switzerland for the holidays and should get my tub when I get back.

wish I brought my USB for the camera so I could share pictures. this place has beautiful mountains.

See ya all soon enough

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Well "guten Tag" everyone!

Man what an awesome time, WOW! One thing about a two week vacation... it sure as hell is nice to get home.
Spent a week in Switzerland, 2 days in Venice, 2 Vienna, 2 in Prague, and 2 in Paris. Got to see a lot of the things I had read about as a kid in history, went to the Louvre, saw the Mona Lisa, so so much it seems like a blur with out stooping to rethink some of the things we did. Def glad to be back, miss turning on the TV and hearing English. Funny thing is my painter is still in France so I'm waiting on his return so I can pick up the tub. I'll have updates as they happen and I'll post a link to some trip pics as soon as I get em up loaded. Still trying to get the body and brain to adj to the 6 hour time change, having gone 23 hours on no sleep I still couldn't sleep past 5am this morning.

edit:
FYI, I thought I'd share some pics:
http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/Fatman_CJ7/Z-Europe 2007 - 2008/
click on the sub folders on the left.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Fatman's alive and well.
Started a new job 4 weeks ago and have been going a 100 miles an hour.
Tub (according to my paint coordinator) should be finished today or tomorrow and possibly delivered Monday. If not I'll go and pick it up NEXT weekend. :mad:

I've got to get my flip-flops out, find my sanding partner :laugh: and get my buddy Eric to put down the Wii, (his wife is spank'n his *** anyway) :2thumbsup: and give me a hand put'n this thing together.
Have most of my parts sitting in the shop collecting dust, waiting to make this a complete Jeep again!
Hang in there, I'll get y'all your fix soon.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Originally Posted by Fatman
and get my buddy Eric to put down the Wii, (his wife is spank'n his *** anyway)
you settle down with that, she beat me once
Is that the way you want to remember it? I'll gladly pay for your brides membership so she can set the record straight :laugh:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Good day today! Made a lot of progress.
Eric came out and we lifted the tub of and set it on it's roller.
To cold to spray primer or herculiner so we set the motor / trans / T-case for the last time.

Got the exhaust set:

Waiting on the Herculiner:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
All that cool hard work and you disgrace it with a fram oil filter?
Show me the facts! Not a bunch of BS about your cousins babysitter knows a guy that met someone at XYZ Co. and he said ...., FACTS!

Looks great Fatman! From the pics you can see amount of time and TLC you have going into that project. The details that may never be seen under the tub and drive train. My hat is off to you sir.
Thanks Joe, glad you're liking it so far, things are about to go crazy with the final push to finish.

I bet it is just keeping dirt out from the rebuild. By the way looking good, that is one heck of a heat shield you got there, it can double as a step if need be. I want some pics of the steps installed PLEASE. I am still fabbing. Can't decide to go fixed or removable. Glad to see ya finally got your priorities straight. JC
Still going to put a layer of Dynamat on top of the heat shield.

You wanna see some steps eh? Just finished em up. Have a bunch of stuff to spray still, the steps go into that pile.

Right side:

Got the tub scuffed, if we get some temps above 64* we'll shoot primer.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Dave, looking good there. Almost warm enough for the Herc job now.
It's 48* at 9am. I'm going to go out about 10-ish and wash it out with "Dawn". (gotta be careful with our current water restrictions)

If it gets close to 64* and I can get the tub dry enough, I'll get the primer put down.

Eric may be coming down around noon, you're more than welcome. Just not sure what we'll be able to get done with the temps. Give me a call.

As for the filter thing, these days it's pot luck with anything you buy.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
It hasn't been as warm down there as it has up here has it Dave? It was 70+ 3 days this week up here. I sprayed some of my last stuff actually, and it set up great.
We got that same stretch of warmth, Friday was in the 80's. Today's not going to hit 45*

Got some other stuff done, can't do anything on the interior, so...

New plastic thinga majiggers for the clutch thina mabob

Drilled and added a spring to keep the actuater rod in place

Put in the rear cage tie-ins

New O-rings and connected the PS lines

Put the Vanco Brakes in place, this was a waste of $, bout an inch too wide. :brickwall

SS battery tray

Gotta go up to the shop Monday and size some Russell Hardware for the Fuel pump, TBI, and return lines

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
the vanco brake assembly was too wide? or the air filter?
it'll fit, just not with the K&N

I'm wondering if I'm going to need to put a solid motor mount on the pass side to keep it from flexing. I've got about 1/4 - 1/2" of room between the linkage

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Vanco Brakes

Ok, I'm kinda concerned that I've got the wrong Bracket with my brake booster.

I know someone is going to pick up on it, yes I know the threaded extension is up side down. :thumbsup:

The flexible rubber piece does not reach the firewall and I didn't get any type of gromet to fill this area?

When I but the two components together and align the brake turn out to match the clutch stop I have over an inch of thread.
This is about equal to the distance of the rubber away from the firewall.

Close ups:

This showes it well:

Am I missing a piece or do I have the wrong brackets?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Hmm, weird. Why didnt you just do the YJ swap instead of the Vanco system? Nothing wrong with Vanco, just curious.
No offense to any one with a CJ running YJ brakes, but I was not about to put junkyard brakes on something my family will be driving.
Van has a hell of a good reputation, nuff said.

I have been waiting months to see those steps. Functional and something a DIY can do.
BTW sweet project.
Glad you like, nice for DD, easy to pop off when it's LOW - GO time.

Man, I am trying to catch up with you, but you are moving on with the reassembly! Good job. Your pictures are going to be very helpful.
Let's get that 300 back together, let me know if I can help

What are the brackets you have now for, it looks to me as if there about an 1 1/2 to long themselves.
They are 3 5/8" from booster to firewall.
2" would be perfect.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Can you not call vanco and confirm the bracket size then go to your buddies shop and have him brake u out some new ones out of stainless
Sent Van a PM 4 hours ago. I'm sure I'll hear from him tomorrow.
I'll let ya'll know how their customer service goes but I have no doubt it'll be top notch.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Spoke to Van earlier today, and though his current design is for 3 5/8" brackets, he did indicate it would function very well with a 2" bracket. Just not something he is manufacturing at this time. That is my next procedure for the Power Booster.
Moving the booster rearward will solve two functions, providing greater clearance at the TBI, and the rod seal will butt up against the firewall hole.
I’ll also be obtaining and installing a firewall seal that I didn’t have with my manual brakes.

Van, was great to talk to. Glad to have him on this site as a vendor and someone that stands behind his product. I'd buy from him again tomorrow if I needed to.

Pictures of bracket modifications to follow soon.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.