Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Nice work. I don't want to take mine off road after all the time I spent building mine. If I spent the time you did I wouldn't want to take it out of the garage. I think I would do what Besrk said and park it in the living room. Then you could sit in it and watch an off roading video on tv.:D

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Looks real good. Any reason you decided to stay with the factory style intermediate steering shaft instead of going with a flaming river or Borgeson double u-joint style shaft?

-

· Registered
1,017 Posts
The stock steering shaft should be fine. I am just suprised that you stayed with it since you have improved most every thing else.
As for the pocket fender flares the only difference I know of between the YJ and CJ flares is which hole the fixture for the marker light gets fed through. Stock CJ marker lights have the bulb towards the front of the marker light where as the YJ's are centered. The pocket flares are cut for both style market lights so they will work on both CJ's and YJ's.

-

· Registered
1,017 Posts
I like to tubes welded to the inner front fender lip to hide the wiring. I will have to remember that for the next one I build. The progress looks good, cant wait to see it done.
I have always wondered what the orange wire off of the headlight harness was for. I would guess its for factory driving lights but I am not posative.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
The black wire to the e-brake is correct.
The black wire from the light switch is a ground and from the factory it would be screwed to the bottom lip of the dash just under the drivers side speaker.
The orange wires are usually for dash lights but I am not sure what that one is for.
The plug with the purple wire was not used on the 84 that I just parted out so I cant help on that one either.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
The 4 wire plus is for the tail light harness. The red wire going to the fuel gauge is a ignition hot wire. I am not sure where it is fed from. I will check my parts Jeep when I get home since I have the dash loose and all of the wiring is still intact to see where the orange wire goes as well as the plug with the yellow and purple wires.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Well after looking at my parts Jeep, my CJ (which is a wiring nightmare with the motor swap and fiberglass tub), and a bunch of wiring harnesses from other CJ's that I have parted out I think I have this figured out.
Yes your correct the 5 wire plug is for the rear lights and sending unit. The 4 wire plug is for the factory driving light switch which was standard in Laredo edition CJ's. The orange wire off of the headlight harness is where the factory driving lights would plug in.
Driving light switch and relay.

The orange and black wires should have plugs on them and they are for the under dash lights that came on Laredo's and Renegades.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
As for the heater box and air duct cables;
The Defrost cable goes to the lower center on the heater box. Your picture B.
The Temp cable goes to the lower drivers side of the heater box. Your picture A.
The Air cable goes to the top center on the freash air duct. Your picture C.

-

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Dave, this has been a great thread and the Jeep looks fantastic. I know you say your done but are they ever really done? I am driving mine again but I still have things I want to do to it. Make sure to post pics of the first trail ride with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.