Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
10,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another project has followed me home...

Back story - My wife's Grandpa owned this truck for years. They installed a dump bed and some side rails and used it to haul grain. He's told me of some scary weight numbers he's had in the back of this beast. After it retired from grain hauling and what not, it was parked next to the shed, where it sat dormant for years apart from the occasional hauling errand which would wake it from its slumber. Over the last year or so, I'd go out and start it up here and there to make sure it wasn't seizing up while it sat out in the weather. My sister-in-law was to be the one to inherit this truck but a while back, she decided I'd be more suited to take care of it and keep it running. Thus, it's now parked in the garage, next to the J10.

RJ's Grandpa wanted me to get it home so a friend (Jacob) and I took the trip south to pick it up on the flat bed.

The retrieval went pretty well, though we did run into some small issues. I told Jacob that once we arrived, it would take about 15 minutes to get the truck started and warmed up. The plan was to drive it on to the flat bed, strap it down, and head for home. We thought we were well prepared until we realized the battery was pretty much shot. After trying to jump it for 10 minutes, we decided to forego the plan to drive it on and instead, winch it up with some chain and come alongs.

*cue ominous music, roll in the gloomy clouds, scatter some dead leaves in the increasing wind*

"There should be some chain on the wall in the machine shed".

After digging for a bit, we were able to scrounge up a heavy duty chain sling and a second, thin excuse for a chain with bent and smashed links.

"Perfect! This aught to work!"

Now, I know what you're thinking. Safety Third. We waved at safety as it drove by. Sweet **** if I wasn't nervous. I know the dangers of this situation and typically avoid them at all costs. I don't recommend doing what we did, but doggone did we get it loaded. Jacob would crank on the come along while I'd roll the 4x4 (yeah, we brought 2x4s and 4x4s, but no battery or chains) behind the truck to block it as we went. We had to re-situate the come along/chain disaster a few times before we had the beast nestled on the flat bed.

Now, you're thinking "Oh, thank goodness. Those stupid 'fellas didn't get hurt." You're right - we somehow managed to safely mount this steed upon it's chariot (what??) without getting smashed, chopped in half, or stung by the wasp colony. Oh that's right, I forgot to tell you about the wasps.

Let's back up an hour. I pop the hood to start "priming" the carb (let's skip over this procedure) and heard some odd buzzing noise. Shazam! Not but a few feet from me is a monster wasp nest with about 8 wasps hovering about, wondering who's poking the bear with a stick. I retreat to the shed and come back armed with a can of carb cleaner, mfg date July of 1982. You can't make this stuff up. Well, maybe... After slaying my opponents, we tried to start it up. Jacob encouraged me to take my weapon with me into the bears den as he thought he saw a wasp or two enter the crack between the door and hood. Sure enough, there's another nest. We took care of most of them but must have stirred another nest once we had it loaded and were strapping it down. At one point, passersby would have had a heck of a show, watching two guys run in circles flailing about trying to avoid these winged devils. Attaching the truck to the trailer ended with Jacob working the J hook ratchet straps while I stood guard, still sporting my can of napalm.

Alas, we were on the drive home. The adventure ended much more successfully than it started. I threw the battery on a 30 amp charge for a half hour or so while we ate Slow Cooker Crack Chicken that RJ made for us. Yes, that's a real link. Yes, it's super easy to make. Yes, you should try it yesterday. After our 2:30 lunch, we went out, started it up, and backed it into the garage where it sits next to the J10, waiting for some attention.

All in all, it was quite a successful day. I think it took us about 6-7 hours total which included a round trip of about 120 miles, a break to visit with the family/do some chores for RJ's Grandma, and a lunch/battery charge break.

We'll be back with truck details, after this commercial break...

·
10,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now that I've told you the story, let's check out what we have.

This truck is a 1978 Ford F-250 Custom. It has a 400 (6.6L) engine, manual transmission (NP435?), and 4x4 (NP205?) with lockout hubs. I really haven't given this a good look over but I'm thinking the front is a D44 and the rear is a D60. I'll update this if I discover that's incorrect.

Pictures:

Oh yeah, it has a functioning dump bed as well. :)

·
10,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What I'm going to do with this vehicle?

For now, the plan is to go through it top to bottom and get it back into running order. Yes, it starts and drives but not without fiddling. I'd like to get it to where it's turn key ready for any hauling needs. I don't intend to do a restore on this as it's nice to have a "dump truck" that's allowed to take a beating. Plus, it's pretty rough as it is and would take quite a bit of work to get it "nice".

My current list that will likely grow as the project continues:

• Refresh All Fluids
    Oil & Filter - Rotella T5 10W-30 (6 qts.)/Motorcraft FL-1A
    Transfer Case
    Transmission
    Front and Rear Differential
    Brake
    Coolant
    Power Steering
    Hydraulic Fluid?​
  • Basic Tune Up
    Fuel Filter(s)
    Spark Plugs - Motorcraft SP-450
    Rotor, Cap, Wires
    PCV Valve​
  • Rebuild Carburetor (MC2100/2150?)
  • Full Brake Job
  • New Fuel Lines
  • New Tires - I'll probably go with around a 32" E rated Mud Terrain as I'm leaving it at stock height.
  • CB
  • Fuel Tank Filler Neck

Future Possibilities:

• Repair/Replace Leaking Rear Fuel Tank
  • Repair Sheet Metal and Paint/Bedline
  • Flat Bed? Unlikely but not out of mind.

I'll also be looking out for anything out of place and will repair/replace as necessary. I've already found one "farm fix". :)

·
10,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reserved...

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Chris, if you do make it a flat bed or better yet a stake bed couldn't you also make it where it would pull a 5th wheeler type smaller R/V too ?

I can see, that if you could, that you, RJ and the boys could have some very fun camping adventures in the future .

·
10,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good idea, phit! Being able to haul a gooseneck would be handy. The friend that helped haul this truck home has a gooseneck trailer that I'd like to be able to pull if ever needed.

·
10,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am very intrested in hearing about the story of how RJ's Granddad trashed out the drivers side of that rides bed .
Haha! I'll ask him next time I think about it. Someone on another forum is curious why it's a different bed as well. I've been informed the bed is an 80-98 but which specifically it uses and why it's not the original, I don't know. I'm sure he can shed some light on the situation.

IIRC you did it's say 4x4 right ?

If so, so very much sweeter .
4x4 indeed. Once I get through the refresh and install some proper tires, I'll be sure to take it down in the timber and try it out. I'm going to install at minimum, all-terrain tires but I'd like to get mud tires. I figure, any of us needing it for its dump will likely be off pavement. I want to make sure we have traction!

·
10,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah even more specific! Thanks!

I like you username, by the way.

:thumbsup:

·
10,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I guess? :rofl: :laugh:

I'm honestly glad it's rough. My J10 is in good shape, though I've been not the nicest to it. I like that I now have a "beater" truck. I won't have to be quite as gentle loading it with wood and what not. Granted, I'm still thinking about patching up the cab and giving it a coating of something, whether it be a single stage paint or bed liner. The bed, I'm not terribly concerned about. The bottom of the bed has quite a few peep holes. It's pretty rough. Switching to a flat bed or stake bed, as phit mentioned, would be a useful trade and would improve on the rough look.

Time will tell, though. For now, as long as I have a good running "dump truck" that doesn't need babied, I'm happy.

:cheers:

·
Guy with jeep
2,743 Posts
I would do a flat bed with headache rack, then you can haul pipe and long lumber. Throw on a coat of single stage paint and she will look pretty good and you can still beat it. I regret getting rid of my beater truck now I have a brand new dually with a headache rack and im scared of scratching it.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I have told my friends many times that I would never buy a new truck and that I would only own a truck with dents and scratches so I would not have to be worried about beating it .

When I own trucks I want a work horse and not freaking bling, bling mall crawler junk .

The same goes for Jeeps too .

:shhh: plus if you go all postal with road rage you won't even notice the new dent in the grill and front bumper the next day .

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Ha, I got a 78 snow fighter I'm slowly putting back together, nice looking truck by the way.

Any of you Ford Jeep owners have any paperwork and VIN tag??? My paperwork and tags are missing and in Mass you need both to get it on the road.
Thanks and sorry for the highjack.

Jason

·
Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
11,113 Posts
So, uh, Chris- any updates? :dunno:

(I spent my formative years loading 5 million+ cords of fire wood into the back of my uncles '78 3/4 ton ford, with an over-height canopy. To this day, I still can't stand up 100% straight)

Hoss

·
10,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't really done much to it. Shortly after bringing it home, we stumbled upon a house we couldn't pass up on so we packed up and moved. Buying, selling, packing, and moving 2 youngsters took quite a while. We're settled in the new house now but I'm still getting situated in the garage and shop.

Once things get moving on it in the future, I'll be sure to wake this thread up. For now, it unfortunately sits until I get a bit of time to tinker on it.

Also, this is my favorite way to load fire wood. It's easier on the back. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.