Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I told myself I wouldn't start a build thread but I think it's the only way I'll remember to take pictures regularly. I only work on this on the weekends so don't expect updates all the time. I took about 4 weeks off from the camera so there will be a big gap in the pics but I'll try my best to take regular pics. If there's anything you want to see let me know and I'll do my best to get a picture.

A lot of the pics I initially took during tear down were for my reference so they aren't really exciting. Some of the pics are a little blurry b/c I had my camera on the wrong setting at the time. From now on I'll try to take more 'in process' shots so they're a little more interesting. Feel free to ask questions!

It started off life as a '79 CJ-7 basically stock with a 304/t150/d20.

I'm going full width 3/4 ton Chevy axles. Dana 44 in the front, 14 bolt full-floater in the rear with discs all around. AMC 401 mated to an NP435 and a Dana 300. :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These pics are still kind of blurry, I'll have to mess with my camera some more. It's really sensitive to shaky hands.

Anyways, let me introduce you to some of my friends who help me out...

Mr. Miller

Mr. Torch

And finally Mr. Coors who is to blame for some of the not so perfect work done by Mr. Miller

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some pics of the front end. BTF full width kit, Redneck Ram hydro assist (haven't gotten the ram mocked up yet), YJ springs.

And some overall shots of the rolling chassis

The 401 long block waiting on brown Santa to bring the rest of his clothes

Some pictures of my parts piles. The tarp blew off my pile sometime during the week so I'm waiting on the ice to thaw before I cover it back up.

My old axles and my 'new' rims. You can also see the 3/16th inch sheet I cut the frame repair patches out of.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now you're pretty much caught up. Yeah I know I skipped a lot like rebuilding the axles, putting on the new body mounts, putting the high steer arms on and making the tie rod and drag link but I don't have any pictures of that. Like I said from here forward I'll try to take regular pictures of the Jeep as it gets built up.

Any questions? Good. I'm heading back to the garage! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I finished the frame repair on the rear today. Got all 4 fish plates on and the plug welds ground down smooth. Also got the gas tank hung. I chopped up the mounts on the tank so I could move the tank back about an inch into the recessed area I made on my crossmember. The tank is 23.1 gallons IIRC. It's made out of 1/4" steel so no need for a skid plate. :thumbsup:

Might be able to put the axle on the rear perch holes to gain another inch of wheelbase. I'll have to wait and flex it out to see.

You can see where I tucked it back into the x-member.

·
Alpha dog
1,219 Posts
Looks killer so far.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Lookin' good...keep at it. You're at the fun/easy part right now where everything you do makes an obvious impact...gets a little tougher to stay motivated when you get down to the little details that you don't really see.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Lookin' good...keep at it. You're at the fun/easy part right now where everything you do makes an obvious impact...gets a little tougher to stay motivated when you get down to the little details that you don't really see.
My biggest issue right now is not motivation but rather deciding how much to do now. I'm building/mocking everything and eventually I'm going to tear it all back down and send the frame to be galvanized. The main debate is do I drop the engine/tranny/x-fer case in it and break in the engine and get the steering all finished before the tear down? I haven't quite decided. I just have to make sure everything is welded to the frame that is going to be before galvanizing including building the 6pt tied in cage. I'm looking forward to that weekend! :cheers:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Weekend Update!

Not a whole lot of exciting stuff to report. Spent most of the weekend cleaning brackets, pulleys and other engine components to get them ready for paint. Used the pressure washer, simple green cleaner, and a whole lot of elbow grease and still don't feel like I got very far. I think there were 5qts of oil in the old 304 and 6qts on it. :rofl: I also pulled the dana300 off the back of the spare T4 tranny I had and started tearing it apart and cleaning it up. So here are some pictures to help tell the tale...

Put the front fender on to figure out where to put my F250 shock towers.

Pulled the old 550cfm edelbrock off the intake. Cleaned up the intake to get it ready for the 670cfm Truck Avenger. I'm saving fuel injection for next winter's project. The edelbrock is for sale!

Pulled the oil pan off the 304 and look what I found. No wonder it had a new dipstick! :laugh: I also got about half a tube of gasket maker out of the oil pickup. The pic was taken when it was only about 1/2 way cleaned out.

Random pictures of brackets that aren't exactly fun to clean. I've got a new high flow PS pump so I just the need brackets and pulley off this one. I've gotta stop at Autozone next weekend to get a pulley puller. You can also see the dizzy in the back. I think I'm just going to buy a new one instead of trying to clean that one up, it's pretty rough. I also bought a set of MSD dizzy and camshaft gears so I hopefully won't have any problems there.

Draining all the oil out of my 'free' dana 300. I'm 99% sure it's the 1980 short shaft version as well so thats a plus. It'll sit behind the NP435 that I've yet to buy very nicely I think. You can also see the painted oil pan in the background. It's pretty beat up and I'm debating on buying a new one.

The T4 that I pulled the Dana 300 from. It's for sale too! :thumbsup:

So that's about it! I also worked on the steering but no pics of that. I got a lot done but nothing really exciting to report. Mainly just tedious tasks that have to be done. I hope to start tearing it all back down in about 4 more weekends so I can send the frame to the galvanizer. Then I can start doing things a little more permanently instead of all this 'mock up' crapola. Let me know if you've got any questions or if you need any parts. I'm collecting quite the inventory so if you need it I might just have it!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hey man, looking great! Do yourself a favor, get a new oil pan. I just got through with an engine swap myself and my oil pan looked perfect. I cleaned it out and put it on the new motor only to have a pinhole leak on one of the welds that holds the skidplate on. Couldn't even see the hole. I must have moved around some dirt or crud that was in the bottom of the pan and freed up the hole.

Save yourself hours of aggravation and disappointment! Just get a new pan. :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.