Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, hoping someone has faced a similar issue and can offer some help. I just lifted my Jeep and installed 35s. The guy I bought the tires from also threw in a Procal so I could calibrate my speedo and adjust the tpms settings. He unlocked it prior to giving it to me, which I believe as the first time I changed the tire size, I got two horn beeps per the manual. However, since the first time using it, I get the "4-2" error when trying to change anything. Tire size, tpms, etc. Same thing. Manual says the unit is VIN locked.

Anyone have any similar experience?! It seems to have worked once, why not since then? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
Joe

Edit - this is on a '15 JK

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looking at the AEV manual, 4-2 isn't VIN lock error

Font Parallel Document Number Screenshot

Unless they changed the manual at some point.

Have you tried contacting AEV?

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
I am sure you have done this, but just in case not, the unit must be unplugged and then reinserted for each single operation in my experience...cannot do multiple changes in a row without unplugging and starting again.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
However, since the first time using it, I get the "4-2" error when trying to change anything. Tire size, tpms, etc. Same thing. Manual says the unit is VIN locked.

Anyone have any similar experience?! It seems to have worked once, why not since then? Am I missing something?
Yes. This is a semi-common problem with the AEV Procal. For whatever reason, some of them just don't "unlock" after resetting them to stock from the original VIN it was paired with. I ran into this issue myself selling my old unit to a buyer on Craigslist. I reset everything to stock, the Jeep responded as such, but when he tried to use it on his, he got the 4-2 error as well.

Unfortunately, the only solution is to get the unit replaced. AEV will do this if the original owner sends it in with the purchase invoice.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. To answer the questions asked:
1) Yes, I have been doing (well, trying to do) one input at a time. Key to on, plug in, off, unplug. I've tried every combination of sequences, including driving a bit between attempts.
2) The manual I came across online showed the 4-2 flash error code as VIN mismatch, so I'm not entirely sure which is correct for the model I have. I don't see a date on the box, but there is a "2012 READY!" sticker on it, so I'm assuming sometime in 2011?

My searches on this have shown some issues with 2013+ JKs and the Procal, not sure this is related.

I'll send AEV an email and hopefully they can help, maybe I do have to send the unit in.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kyle at AEV was very quick in helping me....unfortunately it wasn't the news I was hoping to hear. The unit I got is too old to work with my '15 (only works up to 2012 models). So, looks like I have to buy a new one.

It's back on CL, trying to get what I paid for it ($100), unless anyone here wants it, in which case I'll do $75.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts