Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was browsing through the Associated Press photo archive today and found some pretty intereseting images of president clinton and the 2,000,000th Cherokee at the toledo plant back in 96' so i figured id throw them up with their captions.

-President Clinton tips his hat as he is introduced to a crowd of workers at the Jeep assembly plant in Toledo, Ohio, on Tuesday, Aug. 27, 1996. Clinton is traveling to the Democratic National Convention in Chicago by train on the 21st Century Express.

-President Clinton looks on as employees roll the 2,000,000th Jeep Cherokee off the assembly line at the Toledo Jeep/Chrysler Assembly Plant Tuesday Aug. 27, 1996, in Toledo, Ohio. The president is on the third day of a four-day train trip to the Democratic National Convention.

-President Clinton waves to the crowd as he boards the 2,000,000th Jeep Cherokee after it was rolled off the assembly line at the Toledo Jeep/Chrysler Assembly Plant Tuesday Aug. 27, 1996, in Toledo, Ohio. The president is on the third day of a four-day train trip to the Democratic National Convention.

-President Clinton waves to the crowd with UAW Representative Todd Clancy during an event at the Toledo Jeep/Chrysler Assembly Plant on Tuesday Aug. 27, 1996, in Toledo, Ohio. The President is on the third day of a four-day train trip to the Democratic National Convention.

·
Registered
264 Posts
that's really cool. i remember reading somewhere that it was Clinton who drove it, but i never saw any pictures. thank you sir, i can now rest easier tonight :D

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Man I'd kill to get one of those '96s pictured... (new of course) :drool:

--Dan.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks for the pics man! ;) That's soo cool. I bet that one of the guy's in the pics could have worked on My 96'. I wish we still had Bill runnin the good ol USA. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
296 Posts
MSHarnett said:
He just likes em cause you can lay down in the back :D wink wink :rtft:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Quote from a Secret Service officer to Bill.....

"Yes, Mr. President, I do believe those front seats DO fold down..." :laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just noticed that the XJ that Bill's standing in is right hand drive. That's wacky. :confused:

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
muddy bike said:
I just noticed that the XJ that Bill's standing in is right hand drive. That's wacky. :confused:
Not really that uncommon if you think about it. DC exported a lot of XJs oversees. Obviously they would need to be right hand drive... But there are some in the states as well. My USPS mail carrier drives a 2000 RHD XJ to deliver my mail.

·
Registered
296 Posts
EricsXJ said:
Not really that uncommon if you think about it. DC exported a lot of XJs oversees. Obviously they would need to be right hand drive... But there are some in the states as well. My USPS mail carrier drives a 2000 RHD XJ to deliver my mail.
Yup, I second that. Good chance it was a shipper, but the mailcarriers love that right-side drivability. I've seen a blue one done up the same way for sale around here. Love to have one for the fun of it... :drool:

·
Registered
8,811 Posts
well, if your eyes were really sharp, you'd notice not only is it RHD, but its defintly an export version...

two really obvious things should pop out at you if you look hard enough (and you're used to looking at the fronts of pre 97's)

·
Registered
158 Posts
madrabbitt said:
well, if your eyes were really sharp, you'd notice not only is it RHD, but its defintly an export version...

two really obvious things should pop out at you if you look hard enough (and you're used to looking at the fronts of pre 97's)
Amber front turn signals under the headlights (US got clear ones w/ amber bulbs), and the turn signal on the fender. I just noticed that there's another XJ in the background, and it has the export tail lamps...

What I'd do to have a brand new XJ...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Crap if Bill was a cherokee guy than Im definately selling mine. :brickwall

·
Registered
443 Posts
hey, in 96, most people liked clinton, so it wasnt bad for them to have him promoting the jeep then, but now, its wouldnt be that much of a good thing. but i like clinton even more now, turns out he's got a couple things in common with me, he likes jeeps, and he plays the sax... haha

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
He was probably more well-liked than our current president :rolleyes:

·
Registered
346 Posts
90xj4x4 said:
Crap if Bill was a cherokee guy than Im definately selling mine. :brickwall
I want to say the same thing but there is no way that I would sell my Jeep

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status