Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so My 95 5.2L V8 WHEN i CRANK IT UP 1ST TIME Each day . I have no power steering . IT DOESN'T want to turn . It's normally fixed it's self in a matter of 3 to 5 seconds.
It's fixed it's self before I have time to determine any thing to my problem .
... SO What do some of you guys Think is my best bet to fix my problem will be.
WHILE WE HAD IT ON OUT HUNTING/ Camping/ rock & mountain climbing trip . app. 2 weeks ago .
I checked my power steering fluid off as it is leaking . It was always on the dip stick & I was just keeping it topped off. SO I'm saying it's not a low on fluid issue.
... But I sure know this needs to be fixed before I get to walking .
While I worked for Chrysler / JEEP . I saw a lot of these with broken main shafts in them.
... But I'm expecting I just need to put on a new rebuilt pump ***. on & be done with it. As it is leaking a lot of fluid.
It's been about 15 years since I was at the stealership. & If I'm correct this V8 5.2L pump is rather easy to change, Is it not.
.......... If it's all up on top. I MAY JUST SWAP IT OUT MYSELF RATHER THAN TAKING IT TO THE YOUNG TECH that now does most of my repair work. As I have lot's of aches & pains in my back . I don't want to get into anything that puts me down for a week. ..
........Thanks in advance for any help on swaping this pump out.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well I just ordered a Rebuilt P/S ***. Complete ... It was 66.00 from my Carquest .

·
Premium Member
11,273 Posts
well I just ordered a Rebuilt P/S ***. Complete ... It was 66.00 from my Carquest .
Good luck with that. Very often the rebuilt boxes are crappy.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that changed what I printed ... I Posted I'd ordered a P/S UNIT COMPLETE, PULLY, HOUSING & PUMP ... complete ***. assembly. But the system dropped the ***.
..... I'm not replacing the steering box. I've just retired from the parts business since 1967 when I started. I'm not worried about the unit I ordered not being good. Car-quest is a good supply source in my area ..
If it happened to be defective They replace it .
... & I spent 10 year at Chrysler Jeep dealership . Been there & done that also...

·
Premium Member
11,273 Posts
Sorry, misread that you were replacing the box, not the pump. That being said, I've had some bad luck with rebuilt pumps as well.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WELL I got it dropped off with the tech this evening ... I gave him about 4 things to check out & If he can get it done by Wednesday i'LL PICK HIM UP & drop off another truck .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts