Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Power steering fluid leak

848 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  toku58 
#1 ·
Anyone have an idea on a part number for the hose circled? Or since it doesn’t look like a hard line, would any same diameter hose work since it’s low pressure?
Font Revolver Machine Advertising Metal

See less See more
#6 ·
Be sure it is the hose. I've had 3 WJs and the PS unit was what was actually leaking on each, dripping fluid down the hose to make the hose look like it was the problem. The pump has a gasket between the reservoir and the pump and when that lets go, replace the pump.
Swapping the pump is not too bad of a job and if you can swap the hose, you can probably do the pump. Just be aware that most pumps do not come with a pulley installed and you'll have to pull and reuse yours. It's not a picnic to remove and the right puller is required otherwise the composite pulley will break. (ask me how I know that...) Getting the top high pressure hoses back on is a pain and pulling off the top radiator hose is best for access. A set of flare wrenches is ideal as well.

To be certain, clean everything up, then zip tie or use some wire to secure a paper towel at the very top of the hose. If the pump is leaking, the towel will be the witness.

#7 ·
+1 on the pump - I have seen this twice now, and in both case replaced the pressure side hose unnecessarily.

Note if you end up replacing the pump, you may not get the proper outlet orifice to accommodate your hydraulic fan. It will be obvious if you don't, as the one meant for the hydraulic fan has an orifice almost twice as large. You can take the old one out to swap to the new pump, or even drill out the orifice on the new one. I drilled my current one as I had already traded the old one for core. Be prepared when you remove it though, as there is a spring behind it dying to bounce off your forehead and every wall in the shop before disappearing forever.

Also be sure and inspect the o-rings at the end of the lines where applicable, this is a great time to replace them....

#9 ·
Replacing that seal/grommet is about a 50-minute job. I got the grommet in a rebuild kit I bought from NAPA. Its best to do that, rather than b uy a rebuilt pump. They are notoriously poor quality. A stock PSP should last the life of your vehicle since its not doing much work unless you are turning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.