Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
What about a 1998 ZJ with 5.9 for $1,650?

I just came across it today and was posting it here in another thread and saw your post. Maybe buy this and make it exactly "her way". If you got this one for $1,500
$8,500 is a lot of cheddar to work with and you know she's gonna aftermarket that WJ anyway, right?

Whoever buys this you, her, somebody is getting a rare bird in the ZJ market for a song.

P.S. If y'all buy it, remember me in your Jeep will

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

I just came across it today and was posting it here in another thread and saw your post. Maybe buy this and make it exactly "her way". If you got this one for $1,500
$8,500 is a lot of cheddar to work with and you know she's gonna aftermarket that WJ anyway, right?

Whoever buys this you, her, somebody is getting a rare bird in the ZJ market for a song.

I appreciate it but we already have a wj farm. And she’s pretty conservative. Switch out tires and rims. Muffler delete or Borla. That will take care of her 3 block commute. 😂

·
Registered
791 Posts
Its says "Limited" on the door. Not Overland, not that that matters. Low mileage doesnt mean you wont need to do anything to it. All used vehicles need things and everybody lies when they sell one. Its right at the point it will need brakes if they havent been done already. Its also at the point where both axles, the trans and the Tcase will need to have their fluids and, for the trans filters replaced. As I recall all those are done at 30k. Youd be lucky if they were done on this one. The cooling system is anybody's guess. Water pump, and radiator should be done. You dont want this puppy overheating. 10k is very high for an 18-year-old vehicle, but very reasonable compared to the cost of a brandy new one.I think its a tough call but the guy that suggested looking for a higher mileage one thats cheaper has a point. Kids make emotional decisions and that can get expensive. Let us know which way you go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Its says "Limited" on the door. Not Overland, not that that matters. Low mileage doesnt mean you wont need to do anything to it. All used vehicles need things and everybody lies when they sell one. Its right at the point it will need brakes if they havent been done already. Its also at the point where both axles, the trans and the Tcase will need to have their fluids and, for the trans filters replaced. As I recall all those are done at 30k. Youd be lucky if they were done on this one. The cooling system is anybody's guess. Water pump, and radiator should be done. You dont want this puppy overheating. 10k is very high for an 18-year-old vehicle, but very reasonable compared to the cost of a brandy new one.I think its a tough call but the guy that suggested looking for a higher mileage one thats cheaper has a point. Kids make emotional decisions and that can get expensive. Let us know which way you go.
I didn’t post any pics. 🤷 It’s an Overland.
News pads and rotors.
Fluid swap on both axles, tranny, transfer case, engine oil. New plugs. New radiator.
It’s definitely high.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My bad. Im sorry. I thought the photos of the silver WJ below your post was the one you were describing. Well. It sounds like it has been well taken care of. Used vehicles are going for a premium now. Its just a matter of choking down the price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Appreciate it, man. He has it listed at 11,900.
Giving me a “deal” because I just bought a minivan from him.
He said the last one had 34 calls after he sold it.
Its so clean it is hard to tell what is new.
Based on my other 2 wj’s, the intake, fuel rails, all the vacuum lines are new. The brake lines are shiny front to back. Even the padding on the underside of the hood looks new. 🤷
Sounds like it could be a good deal then! Plus, the market could be different over there.

I think the new truck industry and chip shortages is also significantly driving up used SUVs and Trucks particularly.

I'm curious if I could sell mine for 9k now that it's been updated and improved (but then again, customization can also decrease it's market value too as some may not appreciate my "taste").

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My bad. Im sorry. I thought the photos of the silver WJ below your post was the one you were describing. Well. It sounds like it has been well taken care of. Used vehicles are going for a premium now. Its just a matter of choking down the price.
😂All good. Yes prices are ridiculous. Its at a mom and pop kind of lot. Been around a long time. Nice people. I know they’re still car salesmen but he seems to do everything within his power to have a good product and he has great reviews which those 2 things allow him to command a premium price.
I just hate paying it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sounds like it could be a good deal then! Plus, the market could be different over there.

I think the new truck industry and chip shortages is also significantly driving up used SUVs and Trucks particularly.

I'm curious if I could sell mine for 9k now that it's been updated and improved (but then again, customization can also decrease it's market value too as some may not appreciate my "taste").
This baby doesn’t even have a hitch, which to me is a positive. That means nobody used it to pull a hay wagon. 😂

·
Registered
791 Posts
😂All good. Yes prices are ridiculous. Its at a mom and pop kind of lot. Been around a long time. Nice people. I know they’re still car salesmen but he seems to do everything within his power to have a good product and he has great reviews which those 2 things allow him to command a premium price.
I just hate paying it.
I'm curious where the lot got it. Not many like those around.

·
Premium Member
2002 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee
2,030 Posts
@1401king

Enough bantering !!!
Just buy it and get it over with....you'll not regret it. :p
There is a good buyer's guide in the FAQ, should read it.

He obviously wants it, but he is looking for someone to talk him out of it. I happen to love mine and know I could never get $10k for it ... but I think it is worth it even with all of its, ah, quirks that need attention.

I would check the usual suspects for issues or cheesy repairs:
1) valve cover gasket seep
2) control arms
3) door wiring boots
4) drop the glove box, inspect HVAC for cuts
5) check floor of spare tire well, cut out holes for fuel pump access
6) sunroof leaks
7) driver seat adjustment motors
8) cylinder head access hole seep
9) rear axle bearing leaks
10) everything under the hood for hack jobs

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
Weird that the intake was replaced...are we talking the entire intake manifold ...or did someone just clean up the air filter box and the intake hoses?
The Overland should have QD. That's good as you probably already know.
If she gets it, do an undercoating of some sort before it suffers the tin worm. You might do a compression check just as good measure but I'd buy it at that price as my 4th WJ if needed.

Reactions: 1401king

·
Registered
2004 Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 HO
34 Posts
I recently bought an 04 Overland with 73K miles. It is fully loaded, I paid $8k. It came from Oklahoma.

Great condition. Just some rust at the rock rails (not unusual). Mechanically in great shape.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know the answer to this but I need someone outside of the situation to smack some sense into me.
My daughter (23) is a diehard wj owner. She’s on her 2nd.
She’s been wanting a better one. Well I found one at a dealer. ‘04 Overland, virtually rust free (rust belt), 73k on the clock, has a bunch of new parts. It’s as nice as I’ve seen. 10k is the lowest I can get them.
I know value is subjective and she’ll more than likely have it until the wheels fall off. And she has a stable career and can easily afford it but I know it’s nearly 20 years old and can take a dump at anytime.
Not looking for anyone to make my decision for me. Just curious what y’all might think.
Thanks.
Hi,
After 4x4s ranging from a 68 Subaru to 4door 4x4 F350 and many in-between I bought a 2001 Cherokee Laredo 2 wheel drive about 3 weeks ago. Body, interior, whole thing clean. 2 nights back driving home I was less than 500' from our gate at end of county road. The freaking car went dark. Its engine dead, all lights out including headlights and brakes had one shot with extremely heavy steering. There are no street lights so when I say dark I could not make out anything, not even the windshield. It felt like I was nearly stopped but the feeling was wrong. I'd steered onto the right edge of road and that side went vertical 3' further with the Jeep landing on drivers side. The other side of road had a 15' drop into a dry creek bed. Yesterday I spent some time online learning that stalling out while driving is fairly normal although my family has had a Jeep since before I was born and Mom still has an 05 Wrangler and none have pulled that messy stunt. I am not an expert mechanic but can fix our ranch tractors, cars, trucks etc... as necessary. My thought is take a good long look at electric connections, especially grounds. There is nothing worse, including a year in South East Asia during Vietnam final fiasco than having your car go completely dead on a curvy completely dark road. I chose to walk a few miles back towards San Jose hoping a good friend was home and awake. About 6AM we fired up a backhoe and were able to get the Jeep upright and tugged it onto my ranch. Then the blankety blanking thing started and ran smoothly 3 miles to my house. When home it went dark again, not enough power in it to even click. I put a 2amp trickle charge on it all day and tried starting it in the evening after pulling the charger off. Again not even a click. I don't know if previous owner had any problems centered on electric power and distribution. The battery terminals and cables were very corroded and less than a day after I cleaned both sides to the point of soaking the cable ends in a baking soda paste it was starting and running well. The electric dial in dash showing just above 14 volts while running and just over 12 volts when engine stopped with key on. The reading I did yesterday centers around tracing all grounds and cleaning the end points. I am adding new heavy duty aftermarket clamps and a new battery hoping it will clear the issue. Then I can figure out what to do with the bent drivers side front fender from pulling it back upright and the slightly mangled drivers door. This is a known issue with Jeeps that looks to have become more prevalent in the early 2000's through at least 2020. I'd like to say it surprises me that a large corporation would continue the design after being informed of the problem but profit centered money grubbing management and investors don't take proactive measures unless forced into it. Now I'm debating whether to spend a few thousand on my 86 "Follow Me," suburban ex NASA 4x4 or 98 Audi A4 Turbo Quattro or the Jeep. Four wheel drive is needed during rainy times on the ranch gravel and dirt roads. Anyone who has experienced and fixed this or similar dead electrics please let me know what was found. Good luck with your decision. Hopefully it won't come back to bite your butt. Poor bear just wanted to help....maybe. My other helper was up a small pine and I was on the front porch laughing so hard I nearly missed taking this picture. I told him, "Don't try to get a closeup," but he didn't listen. Peace and out.
Plant Vertebrate Tree Mammal Carnivore

·
Premium Member
14 Posts

Looks like a hurricane salt water flood car, Too ragged out for 100k mi and all aluminum is all badly salt pitted, Did the tailgate hinges rust through and T G fell off?? EDIT: OH, the sunroof has plastic laminate trying to seal it. Probably salt water in diffs too.Yea, sure it's a REAL STEAL at $1500

21 - 40 of 53 Posts