Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the answer to this but I need someone outside of the situation to smack some sense into me.
My daughter (23) is a diehard wj owner. She’s on her 2nd.
She’s been wanting a better one. Well I found one at a dealer. ‘04 Overland, virtually rust free (rust belt), 73k on the clock, has a bunch of new parts. It’s as nice as I’ve seen. 10k is the lowest I can get them.
I know value is subjective and she’ll more than likely have it until the wheels fall off. And she has a stable career and can easily afford it but I know it’s nearly 20 years old and can take a dump at anytime.
Not looking for anyone to make my decision for me. Just curious what y’all might think.
Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
V8? Give us a bit more detail? What's her you r daughter's future plans? One the positive, It's a great family platform so check that box. If the vehicle in question, the one that is the subject of your open inquiry, is a V8 do you mind the fuel bill? If it's the less capable and somewhat less expensive 3.9 I'd pass. Mine? 240,990 miles and engine #3. It's a sedate and capable commuter and after work it can let its bun down.
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle Tire

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle brake

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive carrying rack

Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
V8? Give us a bit more detail? What's her you r daughter's future plans? One the positive, It's a great family platform so check that box. If the vehicle in question, the one that is the subject of your open inquiry, is a V8 do you mind the fuel bill? If it's the less capable and somewhat less expensive 3.9 I'd pass. Mine? 240,990 miles and engine #3. It's a sedate and capable commuter and after work it can let its bun down.
View attachment 4160084
View attachment 4160081
View attachment 4160083
View attachment 4160082
View attachment 4160080
View attachment 4160079
View attachment 4160078
View attachment 4160077
V8? Give us a bit more detail? What's her you r daughter's future plans? One the positive, It's a great family platform so check that box. If the vehicle in question, the one that is the subject of your open inquiry, is a V8 do you mind the fuel bill? If it's the less capable and somewhat less expensive 3.9 I'd pass. Mine? 240,990 miles and engine #3. It's a sedate and capable commuter and after work it can let its bun down. View attachment 4160084
View attachment 4160081
View attachment 4160083
View attachment 4160082
View attachment 4160080
View attachment 4160079
View attachment 4160078
View attachment 4160077
It’s an overland. So it the 4.7 HO.
Her current is 4.7. (Succumbing to rust).Her first was 4.7. Got totaled and it’s my private junkyard. She’s cut from our cloth. We drive vehicles until there’s nothing left. Also she commutes 3 blocks to work. 😂

·
Registered
953 Posts
10k is a lot for a stock WJ. Unless you need a car today I'd wait, not like it's a rare gem that will be gone tomorrow. While I understand the low mileage there are still a lot of things that go bad overtime that will need attention. Personally, I'd find a clean one with maybe higher miles that's half the cost. The rest would be spent on maintenance and you'd have a better break even compared to the lower mileage one at a higher up front cost. I bought my WJ for $700 with a blown engine. 2 owner, pretty clean and most maintenance records. By the time I replaced the engine, lifted it and a bunch of other things I was over 10k but most everything is replaced on there and I don't have a lot of maintenance things....for now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10k is a lot for a stock WJ. Unless you need a car today I'd wait, not like it's a rare gem that will be gone tomorrow. While I understand the low mileage there are still a lot of things that go bad overtime that will need attention. Personally, I'd find a clean one with maybe higher miles that's half the cost. The rest would be spent on maintenance and you'd have a better break even compared to the lower mileage one at a higher up front cost. I bought my WJ for $700 with a blown engine. 2 owner, pretty clean and most maintenance records. By the time I replaced the engine, lifted it and a bunch of other things I was over 10k but most everything is replaced on there and I don't have a lot of maintenance things....for now.
All very good points and I appreciate the response.
Unfortunately, around here, it is a gem. Most have been hacked up already or are total rust buckets.
I think it’s high too but from what I’ve seen she’d be paying more for the rust free body than anything.
He just sold an ‘04 limited with 78k for $10,900. So there’s definitely a market around here. Thanks, again.

·
Registered
953 Posts
All very good points and I appreciate the response.
Unfortunately, around here, it is a gem. Most have been hacked up already or are total rust buckets.
I think it’s high too but from what I’ve seen she’d be paying more for the rust free body than anything.
He just sold an ‘04 limited with 78k for $10,900. So there’s definitely a market around here. Thanks, again.
Personally, If I was dead set on a clean example for a good price I'd go out of state if that's how the market is. Little more work but you can save a ton of cash doing so. Luckily, WJ's here aren't crazy expensive but a few people been smoking a little too much CO tobacco think that got a pot of gold in the back. But I also get the this is what I'm looking for so take my money approach. If it checks out and most of the maintenance items are taken care of with other proactive things not the worst thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Personally, If I was dead set on a clean example for a good price I'd go out of state if that's how the market is. Little more work but you can save a ton of cash doing so. Luckily, WJ's here aren't crazy expensive but a few people been smoking a little too much CO tobacco think that got a pot of gold in the back. But I also get the this is what I'm looking for so take my money approach. If it checks out and most of the maintenance items are taken care of with other proactive things not the worst thing.
Thanks man. Maybe I need a little of that tobacco to clear my head. 😂

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well it seems like you're aware of all the pitfalls of an 18 yr old vehicle.
Sure it only has 73K on it but that really doesn't play a huge role in age related issues such as seals and bushings, blend door etc... (our work vehicles have very low miles on them but the engine is always running so I wouldn't buy them)
It would be a great platform for a keeper WJ.
But $10K??? That's a steep starting point. I'd go as high a $8K if it's in truly excellent condition. But that's MHO.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it seems like you're aware of all the pitfalls of an 18 yr old vehicle.
Sure it only has 73K on it but that really doesn't play a huge role in age related issues such as seals and bushings, blend door etc... (our work vehicles have very low miles on them but the engine is always running so I wouldn't buy them)
It would be a great platform for a keeper WJ.
But $10K??? That's a steep starting point. I'd go as high a $8K if it's in truly excellent condition. But that's MHO.
Good Luck!
Thanks. Freaking blenders doors!!! Went through all 3 on my ‘06 Ram.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought my 04 WJ with only 70k last April. One owner, garage kept, service regularly, and it's the special edition with a bunch of the bells and whistles.

I found a few minor things wrong with it. The dealership was asking $8k, but I told them there was no way I was going to pay that much for it and had a "I'm prepared to walk away attitude". I ended up getting it for $6k.

Now, it is just the 4.0l, 6cyl, so I'd expect to pay more if it had been the V8, but personally I think 10k is a bit much. And I also love in the "rust belt" and understand the rarity of finding something so clean.

Another thing to consider is 78k miles could be a bit of too low of mileage. Meaning if you found one with 110k miles, it might already have a bunch of the stuff replaced on it, that a lower mileage one doesn't.

For e.g. I lifted mine, but it needed pretty much all new control arm bushings all around. It may be low miles, but it's still 20 year old rubber...

So keep that in mind. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought my 04 WJ with only 70k last April. One owner, garage kept, service regularly, and it's the special edition with a bunch of the bells and whistles.

I found a few minor things wrong with it. The dealership was asking $8k, but I told them there was no way I was going to pay that much for it and had a "I'm prepared to walk away attitude". I ended up getting it for $6k.

Now, it is just the 4.0l, 6cyl, so I'd expect to pay more if it had been the V8, but personally I think 10k is a bit much. And I also love in the "rust belt" and understand the rarity of finding something so clean.

Another thing to consider is 78k miles could be a bit of too low of mileage. Meaning if you found one with 110k miles, it might already have a bunch of the stuff replaced on it, that a lower mileage one doesn't.

For e.g. I lifted mine, but it needed pretty much all new control arm bushings all around. It may be low miles, but it's still 20 year old rubber...

So keep that in mind. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate it, man. He has it listed at 11,900.
Giving me a “deal” because I just bought a minivan from him.
He said the last one had 34 calls after he sold it.
Its so clean it is hard to tell what is new.
Based on my other 2 wj’s, the intake, fuel rails, all the vacuum lines are new. The brake lines are shiny front to back. Even the padding on the underside of the hood looks new. 🤷

·
Registered
182 Posts
Appreciate it, man. He has it listed at 11,900.
Giving me a “deal” because I just bought a minivan from him.
He said the last one had 34 calls after he sold it.
Its so clean it is hard to tell what is new.
Based on my other 2 wj’s, the intake, fuel rails, all the vacuum lines are new. The brake lines are shiny front to back. Even the padding on the underside of the hood looks new. 🤷
I guess the problem is that the secrete is getting out about how good these WJ really are. If it was a few years ago no one would be calling about a WJ over $5K

·
Registered
452 Posts
Here in GA that would go quick at $10k.

Like said above, most of them are either rust buckets or chopped up, or both.

It's also very rare to find one with miles that low. Most are well past 150k.

Reactions: 95-ZJ
1 - 20 of 53 Posts