Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

PO's welded TJ Track Bar mount issue

1663 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  ravenworks
After searching, I could not find an appropriate thread, so I figured I ask you all for a little advice.

2004 TJ 4.0 Rubicon 42RLE

When I was finishing up putting an ome kit on the TJ, as I was wrapping up the rear suspension, I went to switch out the stock rear trackbar to put in an adjustable jks rear trackbar and found some nice welds keeping me from switching out track bars. In the picture below, there are some welds holding the T55 axle mount bolt to the rear trackbar bracket.

I wanted to get some advice before I took the grinder to the welds, to get the bolt off. Any thoughts on removing this? My plan is to just switch out track bars to get everything squared up.

Its great to see the welded trackbar mount and the aftermarket track bar bracket on this tj that has "never" been lifted before....

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,336 Posts
How much lift and did you have to rotate your axle to adjust the pinion/driveline angle? Reason I ask is because that track bar mount isn't angled forward to correct for axle rotation. Also I think that mount is intended to compensate for a lift while reusing the stock track bar. If you have an adjustable track bar you should remove that extension and use the stock bracket, assuming no rotation in which case you are going to need an angled bracket.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies

I do not have any history on the jeep other than basic service records when I picked it up from the previous owner last may and he said it had not been lifted. It had an owner prior, so theres no telling what exactly has been done. Not bashing previous owners, you just never know what's happened to a car unless you picked it up from the dealer with 0.1 miles.

No clue why they put the bracket there. Comparing to the picture below that I grabbed off a install write up of the stock mount, it looks like just an aftermarket track bar bracket is welded onto the stock mount. The rear track bar is currently in the stock position, however, the welds are about to say hello to their new best friend, the grinder.

There are not any markings on it to get a product number or manufacturer to figure out what type of lift was on it previously based on the aftermarket track bar bracket.

I was dreading putting the ome track bar bracket as it looks like its a pain in the ***. I haven't been able to get the jks adj rear track bar on yet and the guy at jks said to get the rear trackbar without their bracket as I thought he said their bracket is designed for an aftermarket or tom woods cv style driveshaft. I was under the impression that I mounted the jks adj bar to the stock mount but I may be mistaken.

Currently the 2" ome heavy tj kit is on it as of a couple days ago and it resulted in 1.75 to 2.2" of lift depending on where you measure. I put a 1.25 BL and 1" MML to hopefully help with driveline issues at the same time. Honestly didn't know about rotating the axle with the lift as I did not change the control arms. Thats the next project.

Sounds like I should either use the stock mount thats below the welded on aftermarket bracket if the driveline angles ok and if its too steep, I can always grind off the bracket and install the ome angled bracket and use the adj track bar

Thanks again

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.