Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. So after replacing head gaskets and valve seal got the motor back together. Hoping to have it running by tomorrow Father’s Day. AnywYs I filled up the radiator and the two hose going into the pipes under battery through firewall are just spewing all the coolant back out. I assume this is the heater core but why all of a sudden would this be an issue

·
Registered
732 Posts
sounds like one of the hoses is bad or loose or a solder joint broke on the heater core. you can go around the heater core by connecting the hose off the rear of the intake manifold to the one that goes to the water pump.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like one of the hoses is bad or loose or a solder joint broke on the heater core. you can go around the heater core by connecting the hose off the rear of the intake manifold to the one that goes to the water pump.
Yep it was the hose connections. But now I have no crank over. Battery is charged ever
so I got that issue figured out hoses weren’t tight enough however now when I fire the engine up there is a loud very high speed ticking sounds like it’s coming from outside the motor like the alternator or rotor cap I just can’t keep in running long enough to make it to the carburetor

·
Registered
732 Posts
take the belts off one at a time to check the alternator, water pump, etc. check the exhaust manifold bolts, they are famous for loosening.i put Stage 8 fasteners on and that fixed those. lots of never sieze on any stainless stuff if you use that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
take the belts off one at a time to check the alternator, water pump, etc. check the exhaust manifold bolts, they are famous for loosening.i put Stage 8 fasteners on and that fixed those. lots of never sieze on any stainless stuff if you use that.
Thanks for your reply. I just finished putting the head gasket and valve seals in so I know for sure all bolts are tightened to torc spec. Water pump and alt are back in order with belts tightened. The only thing I can visually see is the alt is very slightly out of line with the other pulleys on fan and pwr strg pump. However I used the spacer that was in there previously so I’m not sure if this would make the noise. My biggest fear is when I put the clips back on valve springs they seemed awfully compressed to me. I don’t remember them being so tight and forced down but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
HI did you put something in the cylinder to hold the valve up? if not it may have dropped in a little making you have to compress the springs more.. now the clips should sit flat and even with the spring cap.. can someone else turn the key while you keep it running under the hood? make sure the rotor is fully in its spot and the cap is on squarely .. both should only go on one way.

good luck take care be safe
tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HI did you put something in the cylinder to hold the valve up? if not it may have dropped in a little making you have to compress the springs more.. now the clips should sit flat and even with the spring cap.. can someone else turn the key while you keep it running under the hood? make sure the rotor is fully in its spot and the cap is on squarely .. both should only go on one way.

tim
Thank you for your reply. I put the valve stem seals on the heads outside of the vehicle. Last night the Jeep fired up and idled on its own I shut it off after 30 sec as it’s loud. But today I get it started but it will not stay running. From what I can tell the ticking sound is gone. So far no leaks no smoke or overwhelming smell of oil or fuel. I brought both screws on carb all the way in and the back out 2 1/2 turns but it just doesn’t want to idle and runs really rough

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
HI well it stay running if you keep a little gas going (keeping the RPM's up)? The 2 1/2 turns out might be a little much... sometimes the rule is 1 1/2 turns on the mixture screws. If it stays running with giving it some gas might turn the idle screw in a little.. What about choke adjustments?

tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HI well it stay running if you keep a little gas going (keeping the RPM's up)? The 2 1/2 turns out might be a little much... sometimes the rule is 1 1/2 turns on the mixture screws. If it stays running with giving it some gas might turn the idle screw in a little.. What about choke adjustments?

tim
Yes I’m sorry I meant 11/2 to start with. If I keep giving it gas revenge it will stay running but it sounds like motor is gargling

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you need a tach and vaccum gauge to set the carb. follow the steps in the manual or it will drive you nuts guessing. same with timing.
what year, engine is this? stock or have you changed engine stuff?
Ok thanks. It’s 76 304 motor. I haven’t done anything other than the head gasket and valve seals. It looks like the previous got rid of the smog. I guess they call it nutter. It is a 76 cj7 however at the dmv it comes up as 73 so I don’t have to smog it here in Cali. We both know there is no 73 cj7 but I’m not complaining I would play hell trying to get it to pass

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you need a tach and vaccum gauge to set the carb. follow the steps in the manual or it will drive you nuts guessing. same with timing.
what year, engine is this? stock or have you changed engine stuff?
Also it had a two barrel Holly I took off just couldn’t get it right and replaced with motorcraft with 1” spacer to help grab cooler air

1 - 12 of 12 Posts