Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was wondering if any of you can identify this vehicle. It has a 10-slot Jeep grill, but who knows if it was original to this vehicle:confused: I looks like a WW2 US staff car for VIPs but I'm having a hard time with it. :help:

·
Real Jeeps have dents
29,602 Posts
It looks like a 1941-45 MB that was modified to resemble a 1948-50 Jeepster. Perhaps by a very talented body man. The grille and brush guard however, looks home-made.

A look at the dashboard should confirm or rule out military use by looking for the dash plates with military contract numbers and other technical data. Looking at the rear of the Jeep would determine if it is a MB/CJ style vehicle or a Jeepster with the angled rear.

One of the 4x4 off-road magazines had a trail Jeep build that was a MB/CJ style body with factory hinged doors. As best as they could determine their project was some sort of Jeep prototype vehicle. - http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbuild/154_0505_1953_jeep_dj_3a/index.html - The final paragraph of the article says "People have gotten on my case for building up what looks to be a rare Jeep. The VIN tag comes back as a '53 CJ-3B blank chassis. The doors are definitely factory, and the body doesn't have the same lines in front of the front fenders as a regular Flattie. Some have speculated that it's some kind of DJ (Delivery Jeep) prototype"

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I think it looks British and at some point had a Jeep grill tossed in for laughs.:laugh:

And here's another shot of it - if it helps. :confused:

·
Got my eye on you.....
18,626 Posts
never mind, I was wrong.

·
Registered
92 Posts

It's a Willys MB (or Ford GPW), World War II vintage. The cowl, windshield, hood, grill, and hubs are all Jeep. The body has had a lot of work done but the basic Jeep lines are all there. Doors and fenders have been added. The engine is the Willys L-head 4 cylinder. The tarp is covering the rear mounted spare tire which was offset to the passenger side. The bracket which is visible above the rear wheel is for the frame for the canvas top.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
sure looks like a willys of some sort to me. note the fullfloat rear hubs they look just like a model 25 that was used on the MB's of the time. werd thought i seen them all, nice.

jason.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I spotted this picture on Google images while searching, "Patton Jeep"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you haven't ID'd this - try these folks:

www.mvpa.org

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you buying it? If it's for sale, buy it... it's VERY cool!
I'm not, but this "Jeep" is sitting in my buddy's neighbor's yard. He might buy it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can tell you the grill, hubs, wheels, cowl & windscreen, seat backs, spare tire mounting location and the flat metal bar that stabilizes the windshield all match my 1942 Willys jeep.

I suspect someone bought themselves some cheap transportation in 46 or 47 and made themselves a car.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I looked at the Austin Champ and the hood is much more bulbous and the side panels under the doors have relief in them. Also, the Champ is smaller than this mystery vehicle. I think this is a combination of a few vehicles and not bone stock. Perhaps part Dodge and part Jeep?

Here's Austin's 1954 Champ...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.