Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What ingredient is causing my heartburn?

• pepperoni

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • ham

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • cheese

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • sauce

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • crust

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • some combination of the above

Votes: 24 36.9%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Trust me....
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had pizza for dinner and spent all night with severe, incapacitating heartburn, again. It is so bad, I get pain in my jaw and sometimes in my shoulder. No, I am not having a heart attack. Tums just take the edge off. I was out of Zantac.

Anyway I need to know, what pizza ingredient causes heartburn? I had pepperoni and ham, along with the obvious cheese and sause. Diet Coke to drink.

Pizza seems to be the biggest cause of my heartburn. However, what gives you heartburn so bad that Chuck Norris would cry?

·
American to the Bone
1,127 Posts
Pepperoni + A couple of gallons of draft beer always does that to me also:rofl:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The tomato sauce is a trigger just by itself, but add in the pepperoni and you're done. You worsened the problem by having a soda, another known trigger for heartburn. Welcome to my world - I'm at the point where pretty much everything, even the mildest foods, give me heartburn. Tried prilosec, it works for a while but then begins to reduce the acid so much that I can't digest foods - food literally just sits there in my stomach and won't break down - I have to spit it up to get any peace. I even tried cutting the pills in half to reduce the dosage, but the net result ends up the same, it just takes a little more time for the resistance to build up. I've had many a sleepless night fighting heartburn that of course gets worse and travels up my esophagus the second I lie down. And yes, I've been to the doctor and even had a camera jammed down my throat....they can't seem to find anything wrong with me. As much as love food, I'm at the point where the complete meal pills we were promised in the Jetsons cartoon years ago sound pretty good right about now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nope, not a heart attack. It's probably just a stroke. Tell your wife to check your life insurance and go lay down.....quietly.

Oh, and leave me your jeep in your will.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
TJJP77 said:
The tomato sauce is a trigger just by itself, but add in the pepperoni and you're done. You worsened the problem by having a soda, another known trigger for heartburn.
he's hit the nail right on the head the sauce is the major killer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sodium is what causes heartburn, try eating more foods rich in calcium, when heartburn attacks eat ice cream and drink whole milk ;)

·
Trust me....
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BlueTeeJay said:
Nope, not a heart attack. It's probably just a stroke. Tell your wife to check your life insurance and go lay down.....quietly.

Oh, and leave me your jeep in your will.
My wife would have it MADE if I died. No debt, no sex, and a pile of cash.:laugh:
You already have a blue TJ - same as mine! However, I will make sure you get the payment book. :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Another common cure for heartburn is just mixing some baking soda with water. Baking soda is pure calcium carbonate, which is the active ingredient in every heartburn relief pill out there (not counting the preventative ones). And, its much cheaper than any of the stuff you get from the pharmacy.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Tomato is very acidic, that's probably what did it. Just take some calcium, like tums.

·
Registered
814 Posts
WTH is heartburn?? :D

j/k I *think* I may have experienced it two or three times over the past few years, but I'm not sure. Then again, I'm only 58 .....

No really, what is heartburn? :confused:

·
Registered
856 Posts
If pizza is the only food that gives you heartburn, youre lucky!

Before you eat pizza next time- earlier in the day- take a few pepcid complete. It should reduce your problem, if not allevaite it. If you forget, and end up with it afterwards, chug a bit of Pepto Bismol :) Enjoy the affects it has on your BM's :D

Tam

·
Registered
271 Posts
You know i never got heart burn until the last year or two. Now if i have anything with tomato sauce it kills me. Chef boy r dee, spaghetti, pizza etc.

I like the sauce but the sauce hates me.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
The correct answer is all of the above... Working in a gi office... i have come to learn that really any food can give you heart burn... some foods that will affect one person will have no effect on the other what so ever... so.. keep that in mind... and if you are using tums or other otc antacids like pepcid or zantac two or more times a week... there might be more than just heart burn going on... so you might need to speak with a gastroenterologist... for further reccomendations

·
Registered
0 Posts
Acidic foods are triggers for heartburn (anything tomato based, citrus foods), as well as caffeine, sugar, fried foods, fatty foods, etc. So pretty much everything that tastes good:) I found a good supplement called Acid Ease by Enzymatic Therapy. It's natural and works well to provide some relief for heartburn and acid indigestion. I have also heard that apple cider vinegar works well, but I don't know how much one needs to take.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Holy thread bump.

·
Banned
850 Posts
I just went to the doctor today for my heartburn/acid relfux. Anything i eat seems to trigger it. I was spitting up acid this morning before work and spit out a mouthful of blood. That was it I went to the doc

·
WHAT?!
1,230 Posts
Had problems with it a while back. I took Nexium for it. Not much of a problem now except for pizzas, tomato based stuff, and hot wings. I use Tums now when it happens.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
I actually made the mistake of taking some Advil on an empty stomach the other night and had some horrific stomach cramps for a couple of hours.

Who knew?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Why pizza causes heartburn

The reason why pizza is one of the main causes of heartburn is because so many of the ingredients are the worst offenders. Acidic foods cause heartburn and tomato sauce is highly acidic--so are onions and garlic. Fatty foods are also extremely high on the list, which include ingredients such as cheese, pepperoni, sausage, etc. To top it off, we usually drink soda and/or beer when eating pizza and both of them are hard on heartburn. Also, if you like anything spicy on your pizza--thats yet another culprit! :rtft:

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I had some roasted cat the other night and it was a killer! Next time I'm baking it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts