Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First first... I won't be extorted to pay Photobucket for what was once a free service. Sorry.

First...

Jack says, "Hey"

We know how this...

Went to this...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-lost-my-jeep-garage-fire-tonight-1789601/

I don't know why, but some of you asked for updates as I try to figure this out. So, here goes; but this may stretch out a bit...

Right now I'm trying to figure out just what I have. As I start pulling stuff off the Jeep I am finding pleasant surprises! My recovery kit and my tire inflator survived. And looky here! My GPS works just fine!

I managed to uncover the Jeep enough to pull it out from the garage. I removed the remains of the soft top, smacked the melted cooler off the air breather and yanked the batteries. Unfortunately when I left my Jeep in the garage, I left the hood up. When the rafters collapsed, all my camping gear fell into the engine bay. If only the hood was closed; if only wishes were horses, I guess. :p

A lot of course is up in the air but it feels good to do something.

I could do more if I could borrow a screwdriver. I promise to take as good care of it as I do mine! :rolleyes: ;) :) :p :laugh: :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
I looks like it didnt get that hot. I'm seeing rubber lines not completely melted, the carb isn't melted either.

In close to 27 years as a Firefighter I've been to more house and car fires than I can count, I've seen a lot worse. I'll be curious to see pictures after the Jeep is power washed. Is there still antifreeze in the radiator?

Bill

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Take those screwdrivers back to Sears. Tell us what they say when you ask for a replacement.

There is a guy peeing in the 2nd picture.

Good on you for jumping back in.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take those screwdrivers back to Sears. Tell us what they say when you ask for a replacement.

There is a guy peeing in the 2nd picture.
And where was HE a few nights ago! :mad: :laugh: One of my favorite pictures of the Jeep and there he is... :rolleyes:

There IS coolant in the radiator; not much but it's wet. right now I'm trying to find my steering wheel puller so I will be able to steer it. The key won't turn at all.

Speaking of which...

Does anyone know which of the GM columns are a direct swap if any? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
I could do more if I could borrow a screwdriver. I promise to take as good care of it as I do mine! :rolleyes: ;) :) :p :laugh: :rofl::rofl:
If you were my neighbor, I'd let you borrow alot more than a screwdriver! Can't wait to see this rise from the ashes! :popCorn:

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Subscribed

And congrats for getting back on the horse! :thumbsup:
Let's just say at the moment I'm just admiring him. ;) Lots of teardown to do. The good part is the more I remove, The better the Jeep looks.

I was able to take the steering wheel lock off. that means I can steer it when I push it. Yea!

Pssssst.... Wall Street stock tip!

Buy Zip Lock! :laugh:

Happy to hear you guys can tolerate my gallows humor. I tried crying; it didn't work. :nono:

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
The big thing that makes me think the Jeep can be rebuilt is what I don't see......I don't see the typical fire results of flat melted tires, warped sheet metal, buckled fenders, headlights popped out. It doesn't make sense as the adjusting screws go into a plastic tab that should have melted. The WS glass is gone and the interior is toast, but there is rubber lines here and there, etc. Kinda weird. I got a Scrambler that had an engine fire that warped the front of the tub so bad that I just threw away all the sheet metal from under the doors forward. It was just too wavy to fix....or try to. My engine was way more melted than yours and I was able to save it with a basic clean and rebuild. I replaced all the outer components and it ran great. I see your frame down as very salvageable and even the sheet metal has promise. Every part will have to be removed, condition evaluated, cleaned, etc. With the support here and the determination on your end, you and Jack will be Jeepn again better than ever.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Subscribed, this will be the most epic built thread yet, Your not just out to blow money on a jeep, but to recover and heal from a loss. I am excited for you, and the end result.

I have a feeling after you get the surface muck off the jeep, there will be a solid start there already.

We are all behind you on this one!

kov

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well i am subscribed! I think this will be an awesome thread to follow. I also believe that the healing that will come with it will be an awesome share with you and all of us that follow along. I will be awaiting all of the updates and PICTURES with the feelings of a child on Christmas morning looking at the presents under the tree.

1 - 20 of 372 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.