Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just have to vent a bit.

We recently traded in our 2019 Cherokee for a 2021 Wrangler. LOVE it.

As part of the process, I was selling the like-new Weathertech mats we had in the Cherokee on ebay and bought new weathertechs for the Wrangler.

I took many pictures of the Cherokee weathertechs and still even had the original boxes with labels and part numbers. I posted all those pictures on ebay. I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

I explained in the ad that they were only a few years old and came out of a very low mileage Cherokee.

The ad had clearly stated "no returns accepted, please look at the pictures and do your research and be sure that they will fit your vehicle" thinking that would cover me. Ebay states that returns by the buyer for changing ones mind or making a mistake is not allowed UNLESS the seller accepts returns, which I did not.

I offered the Cherokee weathertechs for sale at $99 plus shipping opening bid and a couple people bid.....sold at $100.

The buyer paid promptly. I packed them up in the original boxes and shipped them.

They got there and were delivered just fine.

Well a day or two after they arrived I get a message from the buyer saying "these do not fit a 2020 Cherokee as advertised and I want my money back...I will not pay for your mistake...if you do not refund in full I will pursue through ebay".

Now....after the fact, I found there WAS a bit of confusion with part numbers for the rears as weathertech apparently revised part numbers mid stream...but weathertech confirmed this and said the mats definitely do fit a 2020 Cherokee front and rear.

But ebay insists now I have to accept a return solely because the buyer claims "not as advertised"..... and if I do not, they will force it....I will lose the product and the money and have a dinged ebay seller record. If I accept the return, I can in theory get the mats back (on my dime), get refunded the final value fees...but will lose out on the original shipping and the return shipping to me.

So since I had no options, I accepted the return, paid for a shipping return label and now I wait to see if I get the mats back or not. I have to wait two weeks.

Weathertech suggested that perhaps the buyer has a GRAND cherokee and bought the wrong item -- he says that they run into that a lot.....

It has also been suggested to me by others and by reading similar situation posts like mine on the web that this is all a scam and that I will never see the mats back...in which case I have to go through ebay and pray I get my money back and be made whole.

I did look up the buyer's name and address online and they do NOT appear to be legit....so I am hoping that it IS a scam and that I will be made whole.

Either way it is a disappointing glimpse into how unethical people are today. And ebay's open-ended "not as advertised" loophole allows ANY buyer to make that claim and get a free product. There are videos out there showing people how to do this and how to get "free" stuff on ebay.

The irony here is that I used ebay rather than craigslist etc because I figured ebay was safer all the way around.

*IF* I get the mats back I am not sure how I will try and sell now.....after this I trust people even less than I did before.

I doubt the buyer is on this forum...but if they are I hope they see this and realize that they are screwing over a fellow human being for either their mistake or their for their scam.

And I hope they crap their bed for the rest of their lives. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
7,266 Posts
Yea, people suck...but more to the point, FleaBay really sucks. To use them is to openly invite problems.
I only sell my used stuff locally on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace, where they can come see the item, pay cash for it and be gone.

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
yep i would only use Craig's list and i dont ship. Come get it, as is, with cash or go home. I am not Amazon. Sold most the big stuff of the 12 JKR. Front and rear seats sold on Craig's. Doors, Hard Top. Other bits gave away to club members many just tossed like interior trim. last two trucks i have bought and found on Craig's. I have as well went to look at was in a add and it was nothing like they claimed, junk really.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
There is a flip side to this.
on at least two occasions, I have received products that were actually not as advertised.

I too agree, many things on E Bay (and Amazon for that matter) is usually not as advertised. Unfortunatly, returning is usually more hassle than it is worth.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a flip side to this.
on at least two occasions, I have received products that were actually not as advertised.

I too agree, many things on E Bay (and Amazon for that matter) is usually not as advertised. Unfortunatly, returning is usually more hassle than it is worth.
Well, I have actually had a fairly decent BUYING experience on ebay and amazon. And the couple times there was an issue the VENDOR took care of it.

But as far as selling on ebay I cant imagine a worse experience now --- years ago it was doable.

I used to craigslist a lot too but got tired of the scams and fake replies there. Not to mention the well known scams where you offer a product on CL, someone gets you to meet them, then you get held up for the item or worse.

I do not do facebook much anymore....the recent censorship is a major part of why I do not, but I also do not like them datamining all of my history posts etc and making billions off me. I did buy a car on FB marketplace and it turned out great.

I used to sell stuff on forums like these years back but same issue there unless you really know the person you are selling to. At least with forums you can see how long a person has been around.

Like me...a newbie.....I can understand why someone might avoid sending me money for something. Someone that is well known to the group and posts all the time etc would be much more trusted.

I dunno......maybe I am just getting old and everything pisses me off...LOL

·
Administrator
21,352 Posts
Well, I have actually had a fairly decent BUYING experience on ebay and amazon. And the couple times there was an issue the VENDOR took care of it.

But as far as selling on ebay I cant imagine a worse experience now --- years ago it was doable.

I used to craigslist a lot too but got tired of the scams and fake replies there. Not to mention the well known scams where you offer a product on CL, someone gets you to meet them, then you get held up for the item or worse.

I do not do facebook much anymore....the recent censorship is a major part of why I do not, but I also do not like them datamining all of my history posts etc and making billions off me. I did buy a car on FB marketplace and it turned out great.

I used to sell stuff on forums like these years back but same issue there unless you really know the person you are selling to. At least with forums you can see how long a person has been around.

Like me...a newbie.....I can understand why someone might avoid sending me money for something. Someone that is well known to the group and posts all the time etc would be much more trusted.

I dunno......maybe I am just getting old and everything pisses me off...LOL
there seems to be something that infects people on craigslist. I have had so many people just be plain nuts. Show up to buy something for $100 and then flip their lid that I would not come down to $20. Or, I call. "On my way" get there 15 minutes later "already sold"

·
Registered
11,659 Posts
Sorry for the OP hassle.

I have posted some inexpensive stuff on the ph. app. 'offer up'. It cracks me up and drives me crazy at the same time, stupid people will want to buy something for a lousy $10 or less, and then expect you to DELIVER it to them!
As some Asian cultures may say 'fung-gu-yu'.

Reactions: 222Doc

·
Registered
489 Posts
I was giving away a set of headlight assemblies one time on a car forum. The title read something like "Free Headlights - Just Pay Shipping". One person asked if I would consider a lower price. :laugh2:

He was about 800 miles away and I replied that if he wanted to drive 1,600 miles RT to pick them up I would waive the shipping charge. I didn't get an answer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was giving away a set of headlight assemblies one time on a car forum. The title read something like "Free Headlights - Just Pay Shipping". One person asked if I would consider a lower price. :laugh2:

He was about 800 miles away and I replied that if he wanted to drive 1,600 miles RT to pick them up I would waive the shipping charge. I didn't get an answer.
This is real. I was also giving away a set of rear lights and was asked if I could split the shipping charges!! CRAZY....

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
People suck, and they're stupid! I was giving a holster away on another forum. "Free Holster" you pay shipping. Guy responds back, "How much to ship to his address". I respond back $25.00. He responds back, "I really want the holster can you waive the shipping". I reply "Sure, just pay me $25.00 for the holster then". He sent me a check for $25.00 bucks.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
This is real. I was also giving away a set of rear lights and was asked if I could split the shipping charges!! CRAZY....
People suck, and they're stupid! I was giving a holster away on another forum. "Free Holster" you pay shipping. Guy responds back, "How much to ship to his address". I respond back $25.00. He responds back, "I really want the holster can you waive the shipping". I reply "Sure, just pay me $25.00 for the holster then". He sent me a check for $25.00 bucks.
They aren't stupid. What we are seeing today is a basic breakdown of critical thinking. This is caused by a combination of poor schooling and poor parenting.

I spent a lot of time in the middle east working with mostly Afghans. The glaring issue there was the same.

We consider illiteracy the inability to read or write because in our culture, reading and writing is taken for granted.

What I found was illiteracy went far beyond that. A lack of schooling in a mostly illiterate country results in a lack of logical thought.

These are the same symptoms I am seeing here today. In a society where no one fails, where everything is at your fingertips (internet), where everything is simply given to you, you don't have to "figure it out". This creates a lack of logical thought.

I spend a lot of time in the CJ forum. It is interesting to see answers to questions. Virtually every question is answered with a "this happened to me and this was my fix" reply, many of them giving multiple right answers but each is different. You almost NEVER see a trouble shooting sequence to find the problem, just answers.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I spend a lot of time in the CJ forum. It is interesting to see answers to questions. Virtually every question is answered with a "this happened to me and this was my fix" reply, many of them giving multiple right answers but each is different. You almost NEVER see a trouble shooting sequence to find the problem, just answers.
There are countless dead end threads in the tech sections. People just want to be told what the problem is based on their poor description and inability to answer questions.

I've tried to walk people through the whole "fuel, spark, compression" diagnostics, but they will have nothing to do with it.

These people ask questions and refuse to listen to the answers. I will ask them simple questions that would help ME help THEM. They refuse to answer.

They'll go weeks without having a running Jeep, and they'll spend hundreds of dollars and countless hours throwing garbage parts at it.

The last thing that they could ever be bothered to do is think. It is absolutely mind boggling.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
.They'll go weeks without having a running Jeep, and they'll spend hundreds of dollars and countless hours throwing garbage parts at it.

The last thing that they could ever be bothered to do is think. It is absolutely mind boggling.
These used to be the guys pumping gas or digging ditches. Now they are building planes and running the government.
And it only gets worse.......
The state of Oregon (my state) has, in virtual secrecy, passed a bill suspending requirement for graduation in the name of equity.
You know, if graduation rates are low, logical thinking says the way to fix it is to lower the bar.

https://thenewamerican.com/oregon-s...wing-proficiency-in-reading-writing-and-math/

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to be a big EBay seller way back in the day, but when they made PayPal a mandatory form of payment, I made the switch to Craigslist and didn't look back

PayPal doesn't do anything to protect the seller and I prefer to deal with cash in person

Now if someone insists on me shipping an item, I have them send a postal money order as their only option

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem happen to me on eBay also.Had four fox shocks for sale at 600.00. Clearly stated they where for a ford super duty. Had six pics with part numbers on them .The description had a different part no because I used eBays description of similar parts it had to use as a format to sell them. Cost 35.00 to ship. Buying said they wouldn’t fit his keep and they where the wrong part no.I clearly stated that part numbers where in pics in my description.He wanted his money back and I told him there where no refunds.He called me a scammer and a liar.anyway eBay forced me to pay him back. A seller has no rights on eBay even though you state no refunds or returns.

·
Registered
527 Posts
So I read this whole post and now I am in total suspense and agony.
Did you ever get the floormats back from the buyer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are countless dead end threads in the tech sections. People just want to be told what the problem is based on their poor description and inability to answer questions.

I've tried to walk people through the whole "fuel, spark, compression" diagnostics, but they will have nothing to do with it.

These people ask questions and refuse to listen to the answers. I will ask them simple questions that would help ME help THEM. They refuse to answer.

They'll go weeks without having a running Jeep, and they'll spend hundreds of dollars and countless hours throwing garbage parts at it.

Our country has turned into a mass of blubber, and mindlessness.
Every kid gets a trophy was the start of it, from my vantage point......
The wussification of America.
I'm 65 and retired.
I'm so glad I don't have anyone reporting to me anymore...... I would have to quit because I would not be able to stand it.
I can't believe how many people cannot THINK FOR THEMSELVES.

I used to run a forum on motorcycles....... I spent DAYS coaching guys through 4 cylinder carb rebuilds and synchronization, only to have them give up and ask me to rebuild their carbs for them.
ARGH!!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts