Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bet yaw'll have never even thought of this, but here it goes. I need to know what the maximum payload of my 1979 cj7 is.

I work at a nuclear plant and the company has this new rule that states for a vehicle to be driven onto plant site, it must have a payload of less than 1500 lbs. Now we all know that it's payload is probably 600 at best, but the company has to see it in writing or from online.

I can't find it anywhere. I emailed Jeep and they can't even tell me. This is killing me. Somebody help me please!!!

What is my payload????

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Nice question, best I can guess is it is ball park around 750 or so due to the tub and widetracks, of course any lift or add aleafs will increase it. I know for a fact a 87 YJ was at 800 lbs , so you might be clsoe with your estimate.

·
GROUND POUNDER
12,318 Posts
I was able to find this by Googling.. it's for a CJ8 but a CJ7 is smaller so it should be the same or less...

"Jeep CJ-8 1981-1986 Commonly known as the Scrambler, was introduced in 1981 by AMC. AMC’s intent was to use the tried and true CJ series as a compact pickup truck. The CJ-8 had a 5 foot bed with a 1400 lb. payload. All models were fitted with a half soft top or a half hard top, full top were not offered in the USA. "

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Jeeps are passenger vehicles and just are not issued payload ratings (ever seen a payload rating for a Mustang?). This is probably as much as you'll find. It's from the CJ7 owners manual:

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I work at a nuclear plant and the company has this new rule that states for a vehicle to be driven onto plant site, it must have a payload of less than 1500 lbs.
What, did they have a case of somebody driving a truckload of rods out the front gate or something?!?!

Jeeps are passenger vehicles and just are not issued payload ratings (ever seen a payload rating for a Mustang?).
Universal series wasn't a passenger vehicle. They were all given 1/4 ton payload rating, with a few exceptions for the fire truck and trencher models, etc which had the D70 and big spring packs.

Starting in '76, GVWR should be printed on your VIN tag, IIRC. It was on my '76.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparantly if your vehicle's payload is over 1500 lbs then your vehicle is capable of carrying enough explosives, with out sagging, to damage something. I don't know, ever since 9-11 security has gotten more and more rediculous. But then again, I don't mind being secure...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.