Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put the Pacesetter header, a high-flow cat, and the Dynomax cat-back on my 93 2.5L.

All I can say is WOW. My previous exhaust was CRAP! No more cracked stock manifold, no more clogged cat-converter, and no more craptastic muffler and tailpipe.

It cured my stuttering problem at 2500 RPM, and gave me back a little HP and low end. Something these engines DESPERATELY need!

Big :thumbsup: to Pacesetter and Dynomax!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've got the pacesetter header sitting in the passenger seat right now. I'm going to strip off the paint and put a high temp paint on it. Also, after the ordeal with the 79 el dorado calipers I put on the rear disc conversion kit last weekend, I don't feel like working on my jeep for a while (except I need to recharge the A/C).

How much trouble was installing the header? Removing the intake should be easy enough, but I am worried that the bolts for the exhaust mainfold will be welded together fromt he heat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, it is kind of a pain to put the header in. Since my engine had already been apart to be rebuilt, most bolts came free pretty easily.

First thing I did was to support the tranny, remove the crossmember, and remove the cat-back.

PB Blaster and an impact gun are your friend!

After that, I seperated the downpipe from the sock manifold (2 9/16 or 14mm nuts) and removed the oxygen sensor from the downpipe.

To make a little more room on that side of the motor, I removed the belt, and un bolted the power steering pump. Then I took the stock manifold and intake off and laid them to the side.

PS provids new stepped washers to use with your stock manifold bolts.

I put everything back together, installed the cat back and was off!

The catback was a MAJOR PITA. The over axle pipe also needs to go over the sway bar in the back. That was the hardest part of the whole ordeal

·
Registered
46 Posts
was lookin to do the same, 94 yj. live in the chicago area so emissions is a problem around here. the question is will those headers pass the test? was gana buy them months ago but said screw it and spent my funds on other mods,

has anybody passeed emissions with headers?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The PS header is 50 state legal. No problems to worry about there. So is the Dynomax exhaust. I used a high-flow cat that I had laying around.

I have E-Check here in NE Ohio, and I will have NO problem passing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone heard of fitment issues with the pacesetter on a '91 2.5. i had heard something about 91's with the 2.5 and power sterring had to do modifications to get the header to fit. if thats the case what needs to me modified?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
StylinP said:
Actually, it is kind of a pain to put the header in. Since my engine had already been apart to be rebuilt, most bolts came free pretty easily.

First thing I did was to support the tranny, remove the crossmember, and remove the cat-back.

PB Blaster and an impact gun are your friend!

After that, I seperated the downpipe from the sock manifold (2 9/16 or 14mm nuts) and removed the oxygen sensor from the downpipe.

To make a little more room on that side of the motor, I removed the belt, and un bolted the power steering pump. Then I took the stock manifold and intake off and laid them to the side.

PS provids new stepped washers to use with your stock manifold bolts.

I put everything back together, installed the cat back and was off!

The catback was a MAJOR PITA. The over axle pipe also needs to go over the sway bar in the back. That was the hardest part of the whole ordeal
what swaybar in the back?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
track bar, sway bar, WHATEVER.

The bar that goes from the axle tube on the driver side to the frame on the passenger side.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I really don't have much to base it on. It was loud before due to all the exhaust leaks and the clogged cat. It is loud, but it has a very deep tone.

Unfortunately, it does sound like, well, a 4 cylinder with header and exhaust! :rofl:

It doesn't sound bad, at least, not as bad as a Honda with a fart cannon. :D

I have noticed a significant increase in gas mileage on this first tank since the mods.

And, since I work for Summit Racing, I got everything at my cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pacesetter Header and TFX Exhaust

I just bought a Pacesetter Header and a Pacesetter TFX Exhaust. Those are 2 1/2". The stock cat is only 2 1/4". Should I get a 2 1/2" cat or stick with the stock one.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I'd get a 2.5" so you don't have to use adapters at either end to make the stock one work, plus then you'd have a complete performance exhaust from start to finish. I would look at the DynoMax SuperConverters on www.jegs.com ... I bought one of those in 2.5" and it was only about $70 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sealant?

I was told that I need to use a high temp 02-sensor safe silicone sealant on both sides of the intake/exhaust manifold gasket. Is that correct?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.