Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has ever been pulled over or told about tire coverage? Custom fenders? Anything of that nature.

With tax returns coming up my plan is to spend some changing up the old tj.

Im around the hershey harrisburg area. I have never seen a modded jeep pulled over but i heard horror stories and dont want to waste money just to change it up. Im not planning anything crazy. But if my tires poke out a inch or 2 is the fuzz gonna rain on my parade?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think you will be ok if the tread blocks are not past the fenders. A lot of the time the police that will hassle you are the smaller towns and municipalities. PSP seems to have more important things to do. That is unless you do something else wrong then they wouldn't have a problem adding that to the ticket. There are a couple people in local groups here in western PA that have been stopped and ticketed but again it was local cops. Also when it comes time for inspection you may have an issue getting it passed if they are too far out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason i brought this up is because i just got my jeep inspected and i asked mechanic about it and he stated how they pass other jeeps that poke much farther then mine. The also inspect all the local police cars.

Mine stick out more then just the sidewall. Thats 255 75 17 on 17x7 with 5bs. Which mine rub at hard lock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
26,495 Posts
If it is not in compliance, then IMO you have to expect to eventually have an issue with it. You may run in to LEOs and inspection stations that will give it a pass, but eventually you run in to some of them that won't. And trying to explain how you have had it for years and never had a problem will not be a defense. If you accept that that will likely eventually happen then go for it and enjoy it till it does.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have never had any problems, but know people that have. I know the PA tire coverage law used to be gray. I am not sure if it has been changed. It did not clearly state what tire coverage actually was. Some say the only the tread had to be covered and some say the whole tire including side wall. People that I know that have been pulled over were in smaller towns. The cops usually seem to stop the people that have rigs that are covered in excessive mud, breaking laws, or look beat up. I keep mine clean, all lights working, obey any traffic laws, and try not to stand out too much.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Pa law tire must be fully covered by a fender..
I used to own a TJ on 35s and about half my tire stuck out I had NJ tags I got a ticket in PA from a state trooper for it. The pa law is rather clear. Some cops will not care others will tbh it's a crap shoot. The fine was a little over 100 bucks damn flat fenders lol.

·
Premium Member
26,495 Posts
Pa law tire must be fully covered by a fender..
I used to own a TJ on 35s and about half my tire stuck out I had NJ tags I got a ticket in PA from a state trooper for it. The pa law is rather clear. Some cops will not care others will tbh it's a crap shoot. The fine was a little over 100 bucks damn flat fenders lol.
Laws like this only apply to the vehicles registered in the state in question. If your vehicle meets the requirements in its state then it is free to transit other states. Cops will sometimes still write the ticket to be a pain and hope you just pay it, but tickets like that can be fought.

·
Registered
183 Posts
biffgnar said:
Laws like this only apply to the vehicles registered in the state in question. If your vehicle meets the requirements in its state then it is free to transit other states. Cops will sometimes still write the ticket to be a pain and hope you just pay it, but tickets like that can be fought.
True but it was illegal in NJ as well so it was a loose loose for me lol ohhh well

·
Registered
254 Posts
You might want to do some reading. I have came across post where state to state vehicle legality issues. There were some cops that posted saying that vehicles that are driving in state X must be in compliant with state X even it its registered in state Y. I do not remember the details just that was mentioned.

As far as Pa not being clear, what I meant is that inspection shop to inspection shop and cop to cop differ on what tire coverage is. If you read through different codes is specifies the tread must be covered and in others it just says the tire must be covered. There is even limits on the size of the fender flair.

When I moved back to Pa I tried to make sense of the laws, I just gave up.

·
Premium Member
26,495 Posts
You might want to do some reading. I have came across post where state to state vehicle legality issues. There were some cops that posted saying that vehicles that are driving in state X must be in compliant with state X even it its registered in state Y. I do not remember the details just that was mentioned.
For commercial vehicles maybe, but not for non-commercial vehicles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am a NY resident living 10 miles from the PA border. I would go to see my parents in Pa, in my TJ, on 35's with 2" of tire outside of the factory flairs. (Registered in NY.) Was pulled over PA Trooper once. I politely asked him to show me the law that said a vehicle from another state had to meet Pa regulations. He couldn't show me one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.