Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have been reading and looking everywhere for help.
i picked up this 99 tj 4.0 auto.
it did not have a cat and a second o2 sensor so i replaced those.
then i replaces the tps, cps and the disk in the distributor.
then i replace the plugs and wires.
still have this miss.
if anyone has any ideas i would love to hear them. It

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply. Auto light was the kind of plugs.
I did not move the distributor.
As far as the codes. Now I just have the p1391.
I do have 5v at the cps. I pulled the plug on thecomputer and checked a4 and a8. No short or anything.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CKP crank position sensor. CMP cam position sensor.

Describe the misfiring you are getting. Slight misfiring at idle? One cylinder dead misfiring? High speed misfire?

The P0320 is no signal from the crank sensor so not surprised that one is gone if it now starts. The P1391 is intermittent signal loss from either the crank or cam sensor. Since you had the P0320 I would guess that the 1391 would be the crank sensor & concentrate on that (P0340 would be no cam sensor signal). Even with that I would not expect a misfire situation, depending on what type of misfire you are getting but normally would expect a P030x when misfiring which would probably tell which cylinder(s) have the misfire unless it is P0300 for general, nonspecific cylinders.
Ok. Thanks. On the sensor on the bell housing I do have 5 volts. The middle wire is a ground I think. All I did was check for voltage and continuity. Does not seem like I have a short.
I got rid of the other code. All I have now is the p1391.
I kinda feel like this may be due to buying a cheap crankshaft position sensor

not sure how to tell if I have a miss fire. I have this tool that you unplug the spark plug and connect this wire. It has a light bulb. I tested every plug and it seems to be firing.

the sensor in the distributor. I replaced it with one from my other Jeep what was running find. So I think it is good.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I did not answer your other question.
When I crank the Jeep it runs very rough. Almost stalling at times.
Then I drive it. The rpm’s will randomly spike. As well as run like crap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts