Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Overheated my 4.7L WJ Bent the valves now I’m unsure if the pistons are any good

320 3
Whatsup everyone, I’m new here to the forum I currently own a 2004 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V8. The truck currently has 206K on it and has always been maintained recently the truck over heated on me so I had to have it towed home figured I bent a valve and pulled the head that’s the case. One of the pistons looks pretty damaged just wondering if it’s fixable.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
04 TJ
858 Posts
That’s a pretty thick part of a piston. I would recommend cleaning off all the carbon and get a better look at it. If it’s not cracked it will probably be fine.
I’d be concerned about the cylinders/rings if you got it that hot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s a pretty thick part of a piston. I would recommend cleaning off all the carbon and get a better look at it. If it’s not cracked it will probably be fine.
I’d be concerned about the cylinders/rings if you got it that hot.
Thanks I appreciate it, originally when I took the valve cover off the passangers side the one rocker arm was broken clean in half and another 3 were just laying inside the head I know I need a new head the valve seats dropped bad tomorrow I plan to turn the motor by hand and check the piston rings

1 - 4 of 4 Posts