Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’ve posted about this issue before but it came back so I’m trying to figure it out again. I have a 1998 Jeep ZJ 5.2 and overdrive randomly turns off. The problem started about a year ago, maybe a little less, and it won’t stop. I’ll be cruising down the road, and overdrive just shuts off. There’s no rhythm or rhyme, it just does it whenever. It doesn’t matter whether it’s hot or cold, if I’ve been driving 20 seconds or 20 minutes, sometimes it happens for 3 seconds, sometimes it’s for 10 minutes. It does it when it wants, how it wants, and however long it wants.
The ONLY two consistencies is that it seems to be slightly worse when I’m rougher on the car, and when it’s gone through the cycle of shutting overdrive off and back on once, it won’t do it again for the rest of the drive cycle. When it first started I talked to 4-5 people about the issue, and they all said check the main wiring harness going to the tranny, so I did. I sprayed it out with electrical cleaner and for 3 days it quit doing it, just for it to start happening again. So I tried replacing the entire connector, and still nothing.
The dash doesn’t show any warning lights, but my OBDII scanner shows two codes and they always show up after I’ve driven it once. Code P0713(transmission fluid temp. Sensor A circuit high) and code P0138(o2 sensor circuit high voltage bank 1 sensor 2(my jeep hasn’t had one since I got it))I’ve done a ton of looking but I can’t find anything about a trans. temp. Sensor on my jeep. I don’t know if they’re related but I’ve replaced the pressure sensor And governor solenoids and it’s highly possible that one/both of them croaked because my overdrive problem started about a month or two after I replaced them. I’m sorry if none of this makes any sense I know it’s a lot. ANY help would be amazing, thank you for reading!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Are you sure its dropping out of O/D and its not the torque unlocking? What is the RPM jump?

·
Registered
04 TJ
637 Posts
Your temp sensor code is circuit high meaning an open circuit. That will make it downshift if dropping out. I would try to trace that circuit back to the PCM, could be inside the transmission pan wiring.
This may help and shows the location of the sensor (thermistor) and pin-out of the transmission connector.
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document
Font Motor vehicle Line Parallel Auto part
Font Watch Parallel Rectangle Circle

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your temp sensor code is circuit high meaning an open circuit. That will make it downshift if dropping out. I would try to trace that circuit back to the PCM, could be inside the transmission pan wiring.
This may help and shows the location of the sensor (thermistor) and pin-out of the transmission connector
Awesome thanks, I’m going to be out of town for the next few days but when I get the chance I’ll check that out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you ever replace the solenoids with Mopar parts and did you ever check that it wasn't actually overheating?
No unfortunately I didn’t, i got some cheap ones off of Amazon and I really wish I had just spent the extra 40 bucks and got the mopar ones. No I haven’t checked the temp, with the way it acts there arnt really any signs of it being a mechanical problem rather than an electrical problem. I really don’t think it is because like I said it only does it once per drive cycle, it seems like if it was actually overheating it would be switching off and on constantly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts