Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

OTK and stock track bar location?

149 3
I'm finally in a place where I can start to get caught up on various projects I started in the last 2 years. I have an OTK steering set that I've been wanting to do for quite some time. Can it be safely done with the stock trackbar position? For reference I'm on a 3.5 in. short arm with an adjustable double shear track bar (I think it's the IRO model but I'm not sure)
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
24,254 Posts
I'm finally in a place where I can start to get caught up on various projects I started in the last 2 years. I have an OTK steering set that I've been wanting to do for quite some time. Can it be safely done with the stock trackbar position? For reference I'm on a 3.5 in. short arm with an adjustable double shear track bar (I think it's the IRO model but I'm not sure)
No I don’t think so. You’ll have to relocate the track bar mount and sway bar mount as far as I remember for real over the knuckle. Some kits will allow for stock tb location but those aren’t real otk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
Two ZJ niners
11,930 Posts
Trackbar and draglink need to be parallel and as close to same length as possible. The farther the angles are, the more bumpsteer you get. Even if angles are parallel, a significantly shorter draglink can and does produce bumpsteer.
When changing trackbar bracket location, keep in mind it's better to keep the trackbar frameside bracket height as high up as possible*, and raising the axle bracket height to achieve proper geometry.

* Trackbar height defines roll center height, and the closer it is to center of gravity height, the less body roll you get.Using a drop bracket at frameside will lower RC height (away from COG height), which increases body roll. Raising body bracket and axle bracket as high as possible raises RC height closer to COG height, which in turn reduces body roll.

Vehicle body COG height is usually approximately between crank and cam.

· Premium Member
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the input. I was short on sleep and my brain wasnt firing on all cylinders. I was trying to referece off the "OTK" kit and I wasnt quite coming up with what I was looking for.

This is the kit i bought...
Alpha Steering System (CrossOver & OTA TrackBar) | CavFab

and here is the steering set alone...
CrossOver Steering (XJ / TJ / ZJ / MJ / LJ) | CavFab

I did get the high clearance kit. It says that this can be run utk. Wonder if that would fall better with the stock setup. Im falling short of finding someone to weld up the new trackbar baraket or Id have gone that route by now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts