Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
81 - 100 of 271 Posts

·
The Necessary Evil
5,628 Posts
OK. I was told about $80 by the guy at the parts counter that I deal with. It wasn't a quote from service. It may pay to shop around a little.

Jim, I may come up to see you if you can get a better deal than me. :rofl:

·
The Necessary Evil
5,628 Posts
I'm needing new tires already!:eek: These Firestone Firehawk GTA-03 that come on the Limited (215/55R18) just don't get the tread life that I wanted. I really thought that they did OK threw the ice and snow last winter but I've got about 19.5 K on them and the the tread depth is down from the original 10/32" to 5/32". With the new information on "legal" tread depth of 2/32" vs the lost traction at 4/32 from this info at the TireRack, I only have about 3K miles left to go.

My biggest dilemma is whether to go the 29" tires or stay around the 28" "stock" size. That causes me to ask the final question for me on street tire.

How's your mileage with the taller tires? Any change?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Winter Tires

Anybody have any idea if 215/65R16" is a suitable choice for winter tire on the Compass

The circumfrance is really almost identical to that of the 17" and 18" wheels with which the car is delivered.

There is not really much choice in 18", cost wise 16" is much cheaper then 17".
Will 16" rims fit the brake calipers, or cause any driving difficulties.
:confused:

·
The Necessary Evil
5,628 Posts
jimmysjeepn is running 16" Rubicon wheels on his Patriot. I can't see where you would have a problem, 16" is the wheel used on the base Patriot. Disc brakes are more compact than drums and there isn't normally a fit problem with them. The tire height on those is 27.2" which would work out nicely. If I were go to different rims either for winter or off-road use I would probably go with 16"'s. There are a lot of good inexpensive tires available for 16's including the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow at 215/65-16. :thumbsup:

Jimmy's: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4098087&postcount=71
You can also go to post #76 and find other sizes that will fit.

·
The Necessary Evil
5,628 Posts
I've changed the title on this thread and bumped it back up because not everybody really wants to go bigger tires, some only want a better selection on tread pattern and what they can use for winter tires. I will update post #76 as we get other information so check back there for the latest info.

Things to keep in mind:
Tires below an aspect ratio of 60 are considered Low Profile and simply cost more either to manufacture or because they are less popular. Many shops are also charging more to mount and balance them. By moving up to a 60 series tire the selection increases, prices drop but the 17" and 18" sizes will require recalibration of your speedo for usually less than $50, this will normally be offset by the savings on the price of the tires and the mount and balance surcharge.

If you are looking for bigger wheels, the 19" and 20" are the most popular and I would go with the tire and wheel packages offered.

If you are wanting to go with a full set of winter tires then I feel that 16"s would be best for pricing and selection.

If you're going for a set for off-road tires, 15", 16" or 17" may be your best bet but there are some in 18", too. If you want to go taller than 29" you'll need wheels with less back spacing to kick the tires out past the strut spring mount, even with the different back spacing 31" tires like on the Lifted Patriot are about as tall as you can go. The wheel well only has about a 34" opening.

If you have the TPMS you will need to get sensors for the extra set of wheels.

If anybody has info or questions on tires/wheels please post them here. I'm trying to keep this thread as a one stop place to find the info that you're looking for with out you having to search bits and pieces here and there and don't feel offended if your post gets moved to this one. Also, merging threads may create dead links or wrong references to post numbers. I have corrected what I have found but if you run into any more just let me know. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Strut components limit clearances - 07 Compass

Maximum tire size is limited by the strut part holding the spring "up". Minimum wheel diameter size is limited by the steering hub upper connection to strut. If I got bigger tires and a rock wedged in there what could it do?

Just took a good look at my Compass. Hope this helps

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Different wheels and tires

I'm just commenting on the tire and wheel sizes. I, myself just picked up a set of 17" OEM wheels from a Compass Sport. I'm a firm believer in snow tires. I intend to use the 17" wheels and snow tires on my Limited.
The 18" rims are very limiting when searching for snow tires. Nobody makes anything in 18" sizes to fit the Compass. I searched the tirerack. Thats where I buy all my tires! Nobody will beat thier prices! There is quite a few tires in a 17" diameter with sizes that will fit the Compass/Patriot/Caliber vehicles.
I never realized it, until just recently. The stock size of the Compass Limited was 215/55/18 tires. The Compass Sport had 215/60/17 or there was an optional Goodyear All-terrain tire/wheel package. The Goodyear OEM tire is slightly taller at 215/65/17. The 215/65/17 tire is considered a light truck/SUV tire. With the 215/65/17 being a safe choice for a tire size, search for tires using either the 215/60/17 size or the 215/65/17. That 215/65/17 opens up alot of new tire possibilities, and it looks better!

Ps. to Gramps. I'll get some pictures one of these days.

·
The Necessary Evil
5,628 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just put on some 18 x 8 on the Compass with 235/50/18 radials. Very nice with perfect fit from tire rack. Pictures soon.

I have been getting many people saying" is that a limited edition"???

I tell them its an SRT10 conversion with 450 hp and watch their jaw drop...then i say "just kidding"....new rims and tires :)

·
The Necessary Evil
5,628 Posts
This is a preliminary review on 29" tires with a CVT2.

My mileage does drop a little with the cold weather but I've noticed with the 29's it's dropped between 2 - 3 mpg. I'll figure half of that is due to the weather (we're expecting snow tomorrow) and the rest to the engine having to work harder to get up to cruising speed. I have to give it another 500 - 1000 rpm to give me approximately the same acceleration rate as before. Once there I'm running 2 - 300 rpm less than previously.

The tires themselves are very nice, quieter than the Firehawks, wider so the cornering is good, but they are a truck tire and it does ride more "truckish", not unpleasantly so.

I'll probably be dropping back to some 28" Grand Touring or Truck tires somewhere down the road only because of the lack of mpg and performance with the 29's. They are not quite what I was looking for, but would probably do well on a CVT2L with the lower gears. Losing a half inch gc and gaining half inch on clearances around the wheel well and strut spring mount will still let it all look proportional with the lift kit. No problems with that at all!!!:thumbsup:

At $103 plus shipping they were a fairly cheap experiment. I may even keep them until they wear out in 5 years or so. They aren't absolutely terrible.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
The Necessary Evil
5,628 Posts
Gramps said:
This is a preliminary review on 29" tires with a CVT2.

My mileage does drop a little with the cold weather but I've noticed with the 29's it's dropped between 2 - 3 mpg. I'll figure half of that is due to the weather (we're expecting snow tomorrow) and the rest to the engine having to work harder to get up to cruising speed. I have to give it another 500 - 1000 rpm to give me approximately the same acceleration rate as before. Once there I'm running 2 - 300 rpm less than previously.

The tires themselves are very nice, quieter than the Firehawks, wider so the cornering is good, but they are a truck tire and it does ride more "truckish", not unpleasantly so.

I'll probably be dropping back to some 28" Grand Touring or Truck tires somewhere down the road only because of the lack of mpg and performance with the 29's. They are not quite what I was looking for, but would probably do well on a CVT2L with the lower gears. Losing a half inch gc and gaining half inch on clearances around the wheel well and strut spring mount will still let it all look proportional with the lift kit. No problems with that at all!!!:thumbsup:

At $103 plus shipping they were a fairly cheap experiment. I may even keep them until they wear out in 5 years or so. They aren't absolutely terrible.
Update I just did a 150 mile trip and got about 24.2 mpg, 60 mph @ 32 degrees. The most recent comparison that I can make is a 250 mile trip, 70 mph, 60 degrees where I got a solid 25.0 mpg before the tires and lift. They may not be too bad on trips but on shorter stop and go drives is where I take the mileage hit.

Wife likes these tires a LOT better, much quieter, better handling, more comfortable. Performance to her is still "zippy", better than her Grand Cherokee but she never puts her foot in to hers because she doesn't like to watch the gas gauge go down that fast :rolleyes: . LOVES the ride height!

Daughter LOVES the ride height too and the quiet and comfort of the new tires, more like her Dakota, she likes to watch the cars a couple of links ahead of her and not just the one directly in front.

81 - 100 of 271 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.