Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strongly considering trading in our 2016 Unlimited Backcountry for a '21 JLU. While I've driven several JL's as rental cars, I'd like opinions/experience from those that currently own them as far as reliability, must-have or must-avoid options, etc. Our '16 has been virtually trouble-free with only the airbag recall performed & the hard top rear window inexplicably exploding twice. First time was replaced under warranty, the 2nd time replaced out-of-pocket. Other than that it currently has 60,200 trouble-free miles.

If I'm being honest, the new Wrangler will most likely never be driven off-road, or at least not in any extreme off-road conditions. That being said, here's what we're considering:

'21 JLU Sahara Altitude
2.0L turbo 4 cylinder
Dual top group
Uconnect 4C with Nav/premium audio group
Cold weather group
Remote start (hopefully works better than our current remote start system)
Trailer tow/heavy-duty electrical group
LED lighting group

This is pretty much spec'd nearly identical to our Backcountry minus the engine, and our Backcountry has the Tru-lok front & rear axles with 3.73 gears, but again, we don't do any off-road driving.

Thoughts/opinions/experience is appreciated. Thanks!

·
5,573 Posts
Other than the 2.0L, which I'm just not a fan of, that is a fine package for the uses you describe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. What do you dislike about the 2.0L? From everything I've read so far, it has positive reviews.

The other things I'll add, this will be our/my 5th Wrangler, all purchased brand new ('95 Sahara, '98 Sport, '16 JKU Black Bear, & '16 JKU Backcountry). This will also be my son's vehicle in 3.5 years when he turns 16 - he's saving up to purchase it from us, won't be given.

·
Registered
489 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the 2.0T. There was a lot of uncertainty when it was first introduced in the JL and some 3.6L diehards were sitting on the sidelines, waiting for reports of the turbos failing right and left so they could say "I told you so" but that hasn't happened. Virtually everyone who has the 2.0T loves it, including us. We were sold when we took a test drive of a 3.6 JLU and then a 2.0 JLU right after that. The 2.0 has a lot of zip to it and has been pretty much trouble-free for us over the past 1.5 years. Ours is my wife's dd and she averages 22 mpg with it vs her old 2013 JK 3.6 that got 17 mpg. Plus, the 2.0 CAN run on 91 premium fuel for top performance under certain conditions but the owner's manual states that 87 regular is OK to use.

·
5,573 Posts
My Jeep, while it's a daily driver, is a trail rig. This colors my opinions of the 2.0L. The torque curve is wrong and the original ones had 3 separate cooling systems. Not sure if the new ones still have 3 separate systems but if so, one of them ran under the vehicle. Not a place where I want a cooling system.

The use of 91 octane gas is to meet the EPA mileage estimates. You won't get the listed specs on 87.

On my WK2, the 3.6L has plenty of pep when coupled with the 8 speed. On my JK, it easily gets out of it's own way and that's only got the NAG1 and my JK is pretty heavy with 37's, steel wheels and armored up the way it is.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of it. Doesn't make it a bad choice for a mall crawler. It's just not my choice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roadijeff - thanks for the feedback on the 2.0L. Our '16 JKU gets about 16-17 mpg as well, so hearing the 2.0L can possibly provide better mileage is a good thing especially with rising gas prices. My wife averages 2 fill-ups per week in the GC at now $70 a pop, and the Wrangler is up to $60/fill-up. Definitely adds up.

cranbiz, we have the 3.6L in our GC High Altitude & I agree it has plenty of pep as does our current JKU. Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
Why are you wanting to get rid of the 2016?

To me, right now is a terrible time to buy a vehicle, both new or used and will likely be this way for two more years. Inventory is low, prices are inflated, long wait times on special order vehicles.

Plus there is the whole thing of getting rid of something that is relatively trouble free abd is a known quantity compared to getting the luck of the draw by replacing it with an unknown. On top of that, should you have the unfortunate experience of the new one being defective or something failing prematurely on it, parts availability may be a problem. I have read numerous reports of the locker position failing on JL rubicons due to oil intrusion abd Jeep opting to replace the whole axle because of the inexpensive sensor not being available as a stand alone part. That kind of insanity caused by the way the world is screwed up right now is a part of my thinking it is better to wait and run with what you have. The aftermarket is developed enough for a JK that a person has numerous aftermarket parts as well as mopar ti choose from if something fails compared to a tgat might not be the case for JL, leaving you at the mercy of mopar which could be facing supply chain problems.

I also know that there are some people who are paralyzed by fear over the thought of owning a vehicle that is not currently under warranty. I don’t understand that but there are a significant number of people like that. If that is what your philosophy is, then you could buy an extended warranty for your current Jeep even though imho it is a waste of money.

Just a few random ramblings of a crazy old man.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why are you wanting to get rid of the 2016?

To me, right now is a terrible time to buy a vehicle, both new or used and will likely be this way for two more years. Inventory is low, prices are inflated, long wait times on special order vehicles.

Plus there is the whole thing of getting rid of something that is relatively trouble free abd is a known quantity compared to getting the luck of the draw by replacing it with an unknown. On top of that, should you have the unfortunate experience of the new one being defective or something failing prematurely on it, parts availability may be a problem. I have read numerous reports of the locker position failing on JL rubicons due to oil intrusion abd Jeep opting to replace the whole axle because of the inexpensive sensor not being available as a stand alone part. That kind of insanity caused by the way the world is screwed up right now is a part of my thinking it is better to wait and run with what you have. The aftermarket is developed enough for a JK that a person has numerous aftermarket parts as well as mopar ti choose from if something fails compared to a tgat might not be the case for JL, leaving you at the mercy of mopar which could be facing supply chain problems.

I also know that there are some people who are paralyzed by fear over the thought of owning a vehicle that is not currently under warranty. I don't understand that but there are a significant number of people like that. If that is what your philosophy is, then you could buy an extended warranty for your current Jeep even though imho it is a waste of money.

Just a few random ramblings of a crazy old man.
We currently have the MaxCare extended warranty on the '16 until 2023 or 100k miles. The Jeep currently has 60,000 miles. We looked into ordering a new Wrangler because we were contacted by our dealer with an offer to buy our current Wrangler, because as you said inventory is very low. The plan for the Wrangler has always been to sell it to my son when he turns 16. He's been saving up nearly every penny he has and has just 3.5 years to go before his 16th b-day.

When I looked at it, by that time our current Wrangler will be out of warranty, and while Wranglers aren't inherently that difficult to maintain or repair, we'd like to have a warranty as a just-in-case. It's basically an insurance policy after all. So we priced out a new Wrangler equipped how we'd want it, and then shopped ours around to several dealers to find the best offer. With the offer we received for our '16 & putting that toward a new '22, we're getting the '22 for 67% off MSRP. Wranglers always do well retaining their value, and my son will get a vehicle that will be under warranty through most of his college years plus one that we know & have maintained.

FWIW - I maintain all our vehicles, so I'm not necessarily worried about not being under warranty, but having a warranty on his vehicle when he's away at school will be a nice safety blanket. For comparison sake, we looked into trading our '16 last year and the highest offer we received was about $13,000 less than the current offer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.