Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just one stinkin' nut, that's all that's preventing me from having all brand new lug nuts and completing the installation of my Rough Country 2" lift. The front went fairly easy, and the back looked to be even easier, until I hit that one nut. I've tried every damaged nut removal socket I own to no avail, so I guess I'll take it to the tire shop tomorrow and see what magic they have. In a way I'm glad I found it now. Had I had a flat in the boon toolies that could have become very annoying.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just one stinkin' nut, that's all that's preventing me from having all brand new lug nuts and completing the installation of my Rough Country 2" lift. The front went fairly easy, and the back looked to be even easier, until I hit that one nut. I've tried every damaged nut removal socket I own to no avail, so I guess I'll take it to the tire shop tomorrow and see what magic they have. In a way I'm glad I found it now. Had I had a flat in the boon toolies that could have become very annoying.
Had the same problem with a driveshaft bolt that was almost inaccessible. Ordered out the kit at the link below from Amazon and two days later I was able to remove the bolt in a few minutes after I received the kit.

THINKWORK Impact Bolt & Nut Remover Set, 13+1 Pieces Bolt Extractor Tool Set, Stripped Lug Nut Remover, Extraction Socket Set for Removing Damaged, Frozen, Rusted, Rounded-Off Bolts, Nuts & Screws

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0869BR8MG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a couple different sets, one almost identical to the one you show there. The nut just isn't moving. I think AVR2's suggestion is the route I'm going to have to follow. The upside is I have a stud installation tool in the box and a new stud is only $3.19 at O'Reilly's. Drilling it is quick which allows me to finish the lift and exposes the parts I need to remove to install the new stud. If I get it finished by noon, I'll have her back together and ready for the snow tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
How long a cheater bar do you use Mountain?

I've got one that's 6ft long.
I've not lost a battle with a lug nut / wheel nut since I made it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I take great pleasure in throwing those stock lug nuts in the trash barrel. Those things are evil. I have usually been lucky and been able to pound some odd size socket on them to get them off. If that didn't work I would start drilling.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long a cheater bar do you use Mountain?

I've got one that's 6ft long.
I've not lost a battle with a lug nut / wheel nut since I made it.
I've got a 24" breaker bar with a 3" cheater on it, plenty of leverage, but the socket just spun on the nut, rounding it off. I was able to go one socket size smaller, but it also spun, changing the nut from hex to round.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've got a 24" breaker bar with a 3" cheater on it, plenty of leverage, but the socket just spun on the nut, rounding it off. I was able to go one socket size smaller, but it also spun, changing the nut from hex to round.
Oh, nasty.

Are you using double hex sockets (12 point) or single hex sockets (six point) Mountain?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, nasty.

Are you using double hex sockets (12 point) or single hex sockets (six point) Mountain?
Always a 6 point. I took the drill to it today and discovered my nice new drill isn't very good with my dull bits. I managed to find enough sharp ones to do the job. Priority one was finishing the lift. Easy peezy, about 15 minutes per side. The wind picked up and it started snowing, so I'll get the stud replaced in a couple days. The rest of the new wheels arrived today, so tomorrow they go to have tires mounted up.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Always a 6 point. I took the drill to it today and discovered my nice new drill isn't very good with my dull bits. I managed to find enough sharp ones to do the job. Priority one was finishing the lift. Easy peezy, about 15 minutes per side. The wind picked up and it started snowing, so I'll get the stud replaced in a couple days. The rest of the new wheels arrived today, so tomorrow they go to have tires mounted up.
Thanks Mountain.

Do you use a long / deep socket or a shallow / short one please?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use a set of sockets specific to lug nuts which are generally impact rated.

The tech at the tire shop finished installing the new stud, making my life a bit easier. Here she is complete, Rough Country 2" lift, new shocks, JK wheels, and new tires.
Not bad for a 20 year old.
The lift actually saved me yesterday. Leaving the Post Office, I was behind an older gentleman in a nice new Honda Ridgeline. He decided to back up and make room for another vehicle to turn in. Unfortunately, he didn't use his mirrors and continued to back up until he hit my bumper. I don't know what Jeep puts behind the plastic cover, but I didn't get so much as a scratch. The Honda on the other hand now has some broken trim, a bent quarter, and busted plastic lower panel. Because of the lift, his hitch ball completely missed my nose. WJ 1/ Honda 0
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I use a set of sockets specific to lug nuts which are generally impact rated.

The tech at the tire shop finished installing the new stud, making my life a bit easier. Here she is complete, Rough Country 2" lift, new shocks, JK wheels, and new tires.
Not bad for a 20 year old.
The lift actually saved me yesterday. Leaving the Post Office, I was behind an older gentleman in a nice new Honda Ridgeline. He decided to back up and make room for another vehicle to turn in. Unfortunately, he didn't use his mirrors and continued to back up until he hit my bumper. I don't know what Jeep puts behind the plastic cover, but I didn't get so much as a scratch. The Honda on the other hand now has some broken trim, a bent quarter, and busted plastic lower panel. Because of the lift, his hitch ball completely missed my nose. WJ 1/ Honda 0
View attachment 4128393
Looks good Mountain.

Lucky for some with that guy backing up eh?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Have you met this tool Mountain?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you met this tool Mountain?

I've seen those, never used one. When I was still turning wrenches, my big impact gun did the job. One of these days I'll get an air compressor in the garage, and it'll be problem solved. The biggest problem was the socket turning on the nut and rounding it off. The impact gun may have prevented that from happening.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've seen those, never used one. When I was still turning wrenches, my big impact gun did the job. One of these days I'll get an air compressor in the garage, and it'll be problem solved. The biggest problem was the socket turning on the nut and rounding it off. The impact gun may have prevented that from happening.
You can carry one of those gadgets with you in your car Mountain.
All the way out into the back of beyond and back.
You don't need ear defenders either.

Talking of rattle-guns, over here in Merry Old England tyre shops have stopped using them because of the damage they cause.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts