Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the on-board water tanks that Front Runner offers? I'm not completely interested in RotoPax or Jerry Cans.

Interested in a semi-permanent water storage solution for dispersed camping. Post pictures of what you have for your TJs!

·
Registered
14,872 Posts
Has anyone used the on-board water tanks that Front Runner offers? I'm not completely interested in RotoPax or Jerry Cans.

Interested in a semi-permanent water storage solution for dispersed camping. Post pictures of what you have for your TJs!
If you need allot of water you will need allot of fuel. You will quickly run out of space. I just get individual water bottles and stuff them in every nook and cranny I can find.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 2 5-gallon Jerry cans on an OR-FAB carrier for extra fuel, if need be. Maybe I should go the RotoPax mounted inside for water.

I just wanted to see if anyone had on-board water storage and how they did it, instead of just stuffing water bottles in the empty spaces.

Vehicle is mostly setup for dispersed camping - not crazy 200 mile plus over-landing.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have 2 5-gallon Jerry cans on an OR-FAB carrier for extra fuel, if need be. Maybe I should go the RotoPax mounted inside for water.

I just wanted to see if anyone had on-board water storage and how they did it, instead of just stuffing water bottles in the empty spaces.

Vehicle is mostly setup for dispersed camping - not crazy 200 mile plus over-landing.
I usually have little room left in the Jeep after camping gear etc. I usually toss a few of the square 1 gallon jugs in a few places in the Jeep. I also have a sawyer water filter with me just about all the time. I really want to build an offroad trailer to leave at base camp while I go wheeling, would make for a lot more room in the little Jeep. I also pretty much always have my dog with me so I have to leave room for the furry guy.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Rv water storage tanks come in many shapes and sizes.
Rv water pumps are 12volt. Or mount it up high, and make it gravity feed.
Hanging one from the roll bar would be pretty simple.
It is fairly heavy, and moving weight, when not totally full.
So up high could b an issue?

I do often carry a 5 gallon blue water storage tank.
it has a spigot on the side. Works ok if 5 gal will do.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The difference is potable water vs water found from other sources.

I take 5 gallons of potable water with me and a bucket for retrieving water (if available) to douse the campfire. 5 gallons of water is nearly 43 pounds depending on the container.

Are you camping without a natural water source?

·
Registered
14,872 Posts

200 miles isn't that far. Unless or you are taking a small tribe or traveling real slow you won't need that much water.

·
Registered
14,872 Posts
OP, how many people will you take, how far will you venture from civilization?

I see people with rigs with cans for gas, cans for water, a roof rack and all sorts of crap attached and they are just drivimg to work, If you were heading out on a safari for a week with a few people you will need allot of stuff. But a 200 mile or so adventure?

Gas is a big deal. You run out of gas your screwed, but chances are you will never be more than a couple hours from water.

I get out and about in my TJ. For me being warm, dry and having gas are the most important things. You have to have water or you will die but that takes a few days. If you run out of water 50 miles from civilization no big deal. If you run out of gas 50 miles from civilization BIG deal.

You have to be creative packing a TJ. You will pack different for different adventures. Dedicating space to any one thing may not be the best idea.

Another issue is freezing. If you venture out when it's cold enough and you camp water will freeze. Maybe not the entire tank but hoses and pumps can freeze quick. You can toss a couple bottles of water in your sleeping bag while you sleep to keep them from freezing. But if you don't keep your jeep warm enough and you use a tank set up you may have problems.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
I camp just about every time I'm offroading.

my OP was mostly a joke. I like my vodka too! And water, and soda.
Another issue is freezing. If you venture out when it's cold enough and you camp water will freeze. Maybe not the entire tank but hoses and pumps can freeze quick. You can toss a couple bottles of water in your sleeping bag while you sleep to keep them from freezing. But if you don't keep your jeep warm enough and you use a tank set up you may have problems.
Vodka won't freeze. Just saying...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I try to camp near water sources, but there are a few sites I visit that are not close to streams or ponds. Southern half of Green Mountain National Forest Vermont to be exact.

The more posts I'm seeing, the more I'm leaning toward 2 smaller RotoPax mounted on the inside with custom hoses for access without their removal from the mount. It would be the more expensive approach, but it would be a semi-permanent on-board water solution I've been looking for.

Or I could fill the RotoPax with Bourbon... :grin2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.