Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to convert an airconditioner to oba.. That much i have figured out, less some fittings, on my 95 YJ.. What i am curious about is I have 4 steel and one aluminum Medical O2 cylinders. I want to take the aluminum tank and mount it under the chassis next to the frame rail above any possible hits. Where it would be safe, and perhaps install a skid plate just in case.

Here is the question. I want to pump it up to about 250-300 lbs which is just a little less than the capacity of the OBA compressor. Can I tap into the side of the tank to put in outlets IE> Limit valve, drain valve etc. and perhaps even a tap for the rear of the Jeep. I know i can do this on a steel tank with a little welding, but not sure on the ALUM. tank.

I want to use the aluminum tank because it is way lighter and doesnt rust. sooo minimial maintence..

Thanks

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,731 Posts
'Tap in'? I would never 'tap in' a fitting. Welding in a proper fitting (called a bung) is the only way to do it right. I just grabbed this photo of a typical bung off the Summit Racing site.

Attachments

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,731 Posts
Why cant you use the main location where the valve goes?
There is a lot more to A/C compressor based OBA that it would seem. Yes, you could just run one line to the tank as a pressure buffer. But then you would not have a drain valve, which should be at the lowest part of the tank. So you need at least two places to fasten to the tank.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Got any carpenter friends? Many of them use compressors with dual slender tanks for nail guns. These tanks would already have all the features you want. Typically the guys wear out\ the compressor and the tanks are still good and they keep them for spare parts. You could probly pick up a dead one cheap. You might check pawn shops or tool repair places as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.