Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Jeep Wrangler YJ
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, i have lived in Germany now for several years. Grew up in Houston, raised under the roof of two working parents, finished high school, started Jr College (1.5yrs). Worked for my father (automatic trans service) until , hired by telephone company (Data Communication Installation for 6.5 yrs.) until hired by oil company(technical services 29.5 yrs). Retired in 2010, took a few odd jobs around Ft. Worth TX. Moved to Germany with wife in 2013. I have two children in the states.

In Feb 2021 I purchased a '93 YJ which i am currently trying to get ready for the German Main Inspection.. to prove it's road worthiness and safety. The jeep has a Suspension and Body lift kit along with a CJ front body (hood, fenders and grill. It has a 4.0 motor, 32RH automatic, NP321 tc, Dana 30 front with disc brakes and Dana 35 rear with drum brakes. Both axles have 3.07 ratio gears:surprise:. I has a relatively new complete softtop

The problems which the German inspection will not accept and what I am working to correct:
1) the most rear freeze plug on the drivers side is leaking. I have ordered 10 brass plugs from the US. Due anytime
2) the 2 short front axles right side have been replaced with a long axle but the intermediate seal was left in and no differential seal was installed to seal the machined surface on the long axle. So there was a leak at right front axle. I found a video by BlippinJeep explaining what seals are required. I have determined the size and ordered a couple sets here in Germany.
3) the tires are Mud T/As BFG 35x12.5 on mickey Thompson wheels. And Yes with 3.07 ratio diffs,,, OMG!
But the problem with 35s is that the flares do not cover the threads, so I purchased some 7" (17.5 cm) flares for a TJ and contemplate either installing them (with cutouts) or simply purchasing new tires and wheels on 9.5" rims.
4) nothing to catch water overflow from radiator.

things that I don't like:
1) Carpet is installed but I don't like it. The inside and outside body has been painted with thick paint that will slow down any potential rust. So I think, simply really good rubber mats and maybe a carpeted tunnel up front.
2) Softtop hangs over both sides of the windshield about 2 inches. It seems there should be something to fasten it to the sides of the windshield. Is this the wrong top or wrong windshield ???

Any suggestions are welcomed...

·
Registered
94 Jeep Wrangler YJ
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and I have an update to this post.

The back freeze plug under the trans bell housing was also leaking.. had to pull the transfer case and automatic trans. I broke the cable for the crank position sensor which is attached to the auto trans bell housing. I have it ordered. The freeze plug is replaced.

I installed new front and rear auto trans seals and the shift lever seal. I do not like the push and clip cooler line fittings. Yes they are easy to take the line out.. but they have a high potential to leak if the line are pushed and or bent anywhere between the radiator and trans.

I also found that the rear pinion nut was not tight. So it is now tightened. And this ratio will be changed after everything else passes inspection.

The front axle should be sealed now and I have ordered spare seals should that become necessary.

The tire problem will be resolved at inspection time.

I have installed a coolant bottle.

The metal strip for the softop which is screwed to the windshield is not the correct one for this top. Will order tomorrow.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome V7Look, sounds like a fun and challenging project that your undertaking. I’ve heard bringing cars overseas is a challenge passing inspection. One thought I would recommend once you’ve got it road legal. I have a 95 YJ and I had the ugly carpet too. The first thing I did was rip it all out. I had also noticed that the tub held water. The previous owner had put duct tape over the drain holes. Removing the carpet did uncover some hidden rust. Glad I found it and got it taken care of before it got worse. Then the dilemma of what to do. I wanted to be able to just hose out the tub if it got muddy. I ended up using some Ospho to convert any rusty area I couldn’t sand clean then slugged all the paint and did a roll on Hurculiner kit ($78 bucks off Amazon) it looks great and 2 layers covered the entire tub and sidewalls with a little left over. It looks sharp and is super functional.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.