Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I am planning on doing the same work on my CJ-5... so been keeping up with this thread. I have a question though... since rear CJ and YJ springs are the same width and length, are they the same springs? Or do the rear YJ springs flex better than the stock rear CJ springs?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Getting ready to do the EMU 2.5" lift myself. Think I will go with the "heavy duty" option since I am installing a 351W. My question is does anyone know if there is a difference in the rear and front OME springs in length? I heard one time that there is a slight difference in length and if you used four rear springs, you would not have to do the front rivet mod. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I don't mean to belabor the point, but I think the guys hoping to avoid moving the front shackles, while using the OME springs, are being a little lazy and foolish.

I could be wrong.

Matt
Just asking questions and getting the facts before I dive off into the new suspension. I am rebuilding and/or replacing just about everything on my CJ-5... certainly not being "lazy" about anything... "foolish I could be wrong." Yeah, Matt, I think you are definitely wrong! This has been a great thread, thanks to all who have contributed, I have learned a lot… but come on don't knock my head off for asking questions. If moving the spring mounts forward is the best thing to do, then that's what I will do.

"lazy and foolish" my ***!!!

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I meant no offense, nor disrespect, towards you, personally. I realize you are only gathering info.

Matt
Thanks Matt, No harm, no foul... it was just a general question. I personally think that moving the hangers forward may actually contribute to the better ride quality which is what I am looking for. When all is said and done, my Jeep will probably see way more paved roads than trails, so the ride quality is the most important thing to me.

I would like to use Crabtree's hangers, so it would be better for me to order everything piece-meal. With that said, does anyone know who has the best price on OME springs? I think Rocky Road has them for about $95 each… anyone find a better price?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Umm...I know it's a rather long read, but if your look over the entire thread, you will see that's exactly what I did. I used the original stock shackles all the way around.

You have to buy (4) longer bolts for the fronts, if you do this.

Matt
Thanks Matt, sorry for the question... all these parts and threads are swimming around in my head... getting confused. :laugh:

I do need to go back to the beginning of this thread and re-read!

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Hey Matt, don't mean to hi jack your thread again, but I've got a question for those reading this topic... I have not been able to locate the two stud spring plates for the front springs for my OME conversion. Does anyone know where I can get a set? If not, I know you can modify a set of one stud YJ plates or a set of rear CJ plates... If this is the route I have to go, which one is better to modify, YJ front plates or CJ rear plates?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Commadore64,

A few pages back, Erik was kind enough to put together a complete list. There's a Quadtratec link to the plates you need, there.

Sorry, I'm a little cramped for time, or I'd look it up for you.

Matt
Thanks Matt... I did look at the Quadratec link but those plates have only one stud... I am trying to find out if I can get them with two studs already welded on. Per previous posts, I am now checking with BDS. I'll post what I find out for others if I find them.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Hey Matt, I was wondering if you could verify the OME springs for me before I order... I want the Heavy Duty springs all around which is what I think you ordered. Is the OME part number "CSO36R" for all four? Thanks!
Part number confirmed... Thanks 85LaredoCJ7!

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Jeeze, dude, you're not very good at research, are you? Just kidding.

Here's what you need:

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-J...1&t_s=38&t_pt=5491&t_pl=104733&t_pn=BSS4WD683

And, no, I won't come install them for you. :p

Matt
Yeah, contacted 4wd and they said they only had one kit left... would not break it up and could not get the plates individually and did not know where/who built the kit for them... doing my research... tomorrow will contact a BDS dealer in FL... ran out of time last Friday.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
The stock pressed-in bolts knock right out with a moderate smack from a mallet.

The pressed side of the shackle will already be drilled for a 1/2" bolt. You will have to drill the other side to 1/2" because the stock bolt hole is 7/16", or 3/8"...I don't recall offhand.

Matt
An hour and a half to grind the top off of each pressed in bolt and beat the heck out of it with a small sledge and punch... but finally got them all out. BTW Matt, did you get your shims turned around on the front spring packs? Is that gonna work for you?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Thanks Matt... I did look at the Quadratec link but those plates have only one stud... I am trying to find out if I can get them with two studs already welded on. Per previous posts, I am now checking with BDS. I'll post what I find out for others if I find them.
Update on the front spring plates. Contacted BDS last week... guy there said 'yeah, sure we have them, but you have to order from one of our distributors and I can't give you a part number.' Called their distributor in Jacksonville who inturn called BDS again and tells me BDS has never had that part... WTF! So now I am back to square one... guy from Jacksonville is going to look into making a set for me so we will see how far I get with that.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Thanks ErikEastman, but I really don't need the skid plate design. I was hoping to find the 'standard' ones like in the picture on 4wd's website. I think the skid plate design is really cool but overkill for my application. When the guy from Jaxs said he could fabricate a set, I thought sure... take a look and give me a price... what's the harm... the guys trying to help me out. Depending on what he says, I may end up with the skid plates after all... just doing my research and weighing the options.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Your other option might be to get a set of the YJ plates and have shock studs welded to them.
Yeah, that's what the guy in Jaxs is going to look at for me... he said he had a YJ he may be able to rob some parts from.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
commadore64,

Although my experience with 4WD wasn't great, I had no issues with their hardware, just the shocks.

Why don't you buy this:

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-J...1&t_s=38&t_pt=5491&t_pl=104733&t_pn=BSS4WD683

...and be done with it? You'll need every one of those parts, anyway, and I doubt it's going to be much cheaper to part it out separately, even if you can find it all.

Matt
Already purchased the busings and sleeves. Got Crabtree hangers on the way. Gonna use the stock CJ rear spring plates. $363.99... no thanks. BTW, the guy I spoke with at 4wd said that was their last kit and could not get any more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts